Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

1980 4x4 longbed

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1980 4x4 longbed

Well I've decided to make a post of my truck so here goes. Drove around an 03 Dodge Ram 1500 2WD for the past 5 or 6 years but when i was driving on the interstate one night it threw a rod and knocked a hole clean through the block. Several mechanics we talked to said it would be $1000 for labor only to replace the engine because of the difficulty in removing it and a new engine would be pricey as well so i decided to buy another truck.
I wanted a 4x4 for my next truck and didn't have alot of money so i picked up my 1980 4x4 for $2000.
It ran fine when i bought it but on the drive home it died and it was dark so i couldn't figure out why. Got it towed back to the house and started working on it and something was wrong with the charging system so I replaced the alternator with an internally regulated GM alternator. That cleared up the charging problem but it still ran pretty rough. There were alot of stray wires so through trial and error i found out which ones were "needed" and spliced them up.
Replaced the spark plugs, radiator fluid, oil, oil filter and angle grinded the holes out of the floorboard and patched them up.
So i had it driving alright and moved back to SC with my parents from ATL and the day i get back my clutch went out I'm not especially mechanically inclined but I'm not stupid either, and I dont see a reason to pay someone $500 to fix it when i can buy the parts myself and do it for $80. So I'm working on replacing the clutch myself now.

I've done lots more to it and intend to do more but thats all i can remember right now haha. Will post pics in a few.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:56 AM

The yota next to the old dodge

Some interior

This air filter was on there when i bought it but i know it can't be the right one.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gotta get whole body shots!
Old 03-06-2012, 07:36 PM

Shot of the motor

and side view
Old 03-08-2012, 11:50 AM

The nice thing about changing clutches on 4x4s is you don't have to jack up the truck. At least I didn't have to on mine.

What are the differences between '80 and '81 Toyota trucks? That one looks a lot like my '81.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:32 AM

Yeah I already removed the driveshafts and i'll probably try and drop the transmission tomorrow. plenty of room for me to get under there and work although i have already busted my knuckles a few times but thats expected haha.

And i'm not too sure. I doubt theres much of a difference but if i'm right the '81s came with a 22R? Mine only has the 20R in it. '80s also came with a 4spd tranny but i guess someone replaced mine with a 5spd at some point. '80s came with 4.37 gears and '81s came with 3.90. As far as body style though i dont think theres much of a difference if any at all.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:57 PM

Them are some good tires you have.I have a buddy with some and they flat pull in the mud.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:08 AM

Yeah my cousin has them on his nissan frontier and we took it down to a 4x4 park in georgia and they just tore up some mud. i cant wait to try mine out haha.

Drained the oil in the gear box today though and its not supposed to be brown is it? lol
Old 03-10-2012, 07:13 AM

ill buy the bed hahah! nice you found one with no rust!
Old 03-11-2012, 09:05 PM

Oh it has plenty of rust lol. had to cut out holes and even the gas pedal mount and patch them. Gonna have to sandblast the bed and rhino line it too but there aren't any big holes in the bed. Went to a junkyard the other day and found this nice breather box with an almost new filter in it.

Closer shot of the tires
Old 03-23-2012, 05:58 AM

So im working on taking off the transmission now, but im pretty poor so i don't have a rolling hydraulic jack and i cannot seem to get this thing off all the way. everything is unbolted and i have the starter and clutch cylinder removed as well as the wires and drive shafts and whatnot, but i cant seem to scoot it back more than an inch or so. and i figure its probably best that i dont stick a crowbar in the gap and try to pry it lol. anyone know a good way of doing this without a rolling jack?
Old 03-23-2012, 06:07 AM

Safety first, get a friend to help you remove and install unless your into some serious bench pressing.....

Sometimes a worn pilot bushing can hang up the input shaft or material buildup on the input shaft splines can make it difficult to slide out of the clutch disc. As long as all bolts, braces, etc are removed it make take some side to side and up/down movement to pull it clear of the clutch assembly.

Get a buddy and a floorjack if you can...
Old 03-23-2012, 11:19 AM

well i've got 2 scissor jacks under a 2x4 piece holing it up and then i've got 2 400lb rated ratchet straps holding it steady. but i dont wanna jerk it around and break something lol.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:11 AM

Well I finally got someone to change the throwout bearing for me haha. Had called a few shops and they told me i would have to schedule an appointment so i called my cousin and got him to do it for me for free lol. Then finally got the clutch changed out.

It was pretty worn lol

But unfortunately on my third drive down the road i ran out of gas

Last edited by buckshot307; 04-06-2012 at 07:13 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:08 PM

Well when i ran out of gas i guess i really screwed up. truck just will not run right. It will crank but anytime i touch the gas pedal it bogs down. no fuel filter, so im guessing some trash got in the carb. but i took the top off and cleaned out the jets and it still doesnt want to run when i give it gas.

So since most of the vacuum lines are missing or most likely in the wrong place ive decided to buy a weber 32/36 to put on my ol 20R. Anyone had any experience with this?
Old 06-14-2012, 08:00 AM

Well its taken longer than i would have liked but not having a vehicle means i cant get a job, tax returns came in though and i thought this would be a pretty good investment

Got it put in and since the old carb was water choke i had to reroute some hoses. tried cranking it and it just wouldn't start and then the battery died. So i jumped it off and kept cranking it and pressing the gas and it finally fired up, only to notice the gas line wasn't tight and it started spewing gas all over the place lol. So i tightened that down and then cranked it again and it started spewing radiator fluid lol. tightened that down too and now its running like a champ. Pretty much can't wait to get this thing registered so i can get a job and start dumping more money into it! haha price to pay for a 30 year old truck i guess
Old 06-14-2012, 08:11 AM

Also does anyone else have problems with leaking water into the cab? I've got a puddle in the passenger side that builds up everytime it rains and i have no idea where its coming from
Old 06-14-2012, 08:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check the door seals and the windshield, mine lets ever so much in through the windshield seal. I try to tarp it when it rains if I can.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by buckshot307
Also does anyone else have problems with leaking water into the cab? I've got a puddle in the passenger side that builds up everytime it rains and i have no idea where its coming from
I get that on the driver's side. It seems to be coming through my door, but I can't pinpoint where. I cleared room and park it in the garage now. I wonder if we can get all new door seals.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:55 AM

Update

Wow so i havent been on in a while. Had a lot of problems with the truck and i was so fed up I was just going to sell it and that be it, but I couldnt get it to crank so i couldnt sell it. I had a buddy of mine come over to help me work on it a little and for some reason, it cranked up the first time he tried it.(I looked like an idiot lol)

So the old gas tank was just all rusted out and it kept dumping trash in my carb and I knew i couldnt have that, I wasnt too sure how to clean it or even get it off so i took it to a local shop to have them put a new on on it for me. Well it took them two months to find one that would work and they said it was a little dirty but they were gonnna clean it up and install if for me. So another two weeks go by and they have it ready to go. I go and pick it up and take it home, thinking its good to go. Well i tried to drive it to the trash dump and it kept cutting off on me and I barely made it back to my house. So me and my buddy that came over open up my brand new weber i slapped on there a while back and it is slam full of rust and gunk. I was pissed so we cleaned it, worked our way to the fuel pump(on the motor) with some carb cleaner and it was full of gunk and rust too. So I decided to get a new fuel pump(thinking this one was the problem with trash from the old gas tank trapped in it). We cleaned out the lines and work our way back to the "new" gas tank. Well he suggests draining it to see what the gas looks like and when we do it looks like sweet tea is coming out of the tank. I was getting mad and we decide to drop it to have a look. Sure enough this "new" tank I paid the shop $500 to clean and install is slap full of rust and all kinds of trash. The gas lines in the tank were covered in rust, the in tank filter was full of rust, and the walls of the tank were covered. I'm a pretty nice guy but I was just about to take a shotgun up to that shop and kill everyone there(not really but I was mad ).

So turns out my problem with the truck this entire time has been a bad gas tank putting trash in my carb. Well instead of taking the truck up there I took the tank and told the guy he was about to clean it because he obviously hadn't done it the first time. I was kinda hoping he would try and explain himself away so i could go all redneck on him but he was about a foot shorter than me and all he said was "I'll make it right" over and over. So he's supposed to call me sometime this week after he cleans it out again. And since I took the tank up there this time instead of the truck, I'm gonna know if he actually did or not.

Truck should be running after i get it hooked back up and then I'll only have to fight with the DMV to get it on the road!!!

I'll post pics later of all the nastiness that came out of my fuel pump and a pic of the inside of the "new" tank

Quick Reply: 1980 4x4 longbed