Tool Time Discussions here pertain to the use of tools you use while fabbing and wrenching in the garage

Ingersoll rand titanium thundergun

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ingersoll rand titanium thundergun

anyone have any experieneces w/ this particular gun?i found it from a seller on ebay for 149.99 plus 12 shipping. From what ive seen this is a heck of a deal

also, anyone familiar w/ the 2135ti? it says 700 lb/ft of "traditional" torque and 1000 lb/ft of "nut busting torque" over 6 seconds...what is that!?!? i cant find anything on it, is it special valving, or is it just a marketing ploy? thanx for any response?
Old 05-12-2005, 10:03 PM
Contributing Member

It doesnt put out 1000ft/lbs. If you are reading that off of an ebay description they wrote it wrong. The 2135ti will losen a nut tightened to 1000 ft/lbs in 6 seconds, its max torque output is 700 ft/lbs.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:08 AM
Banned

IR guns rock, i have an old school one i got from my old job..... well 2 really, i harvested parts off of 2 guns and made 1 working gun.....

one of my coworkers had one of those that you mentioned... it was awesome....
Old 05-13-2005, 03:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jimabena74
IR guns rock, i have an old school one i got from my old job..... well 2 really, i harvested parts off of 2 guns and made 1 working gun.....

one of my coworkers had one of those that you mentioned... it was awesome....

Yeah they are awesome. I've got one I use for heavy duty trucks at work and it can bust any nut I've ever worked with. I don't know the torque spec for it, but it does have the twin hammer design on it. Only problem with mine is that once I was using a regular craftsman extension and the torque on it broke the extension. Now I use the impact extensions and sockets.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironmike4x4
Only problem with mine is that once I was using a regular craftsman extension and the torque on it broke the extension. Now I use the impact extensions and sockets.
That is pretty dangerous.....you never want to use regular chrome stuff with an impact tool. One time I was helping another mechanic loosen an axle nut and he didn't have a big enough impact socket so he grabbed a chrome one. I told him not to try it but he insisted because "sears crap has a lifetime guarantee, they'll take back anything!". Well, he hit the socket with a gun similar to the one you guys are mentioning (I think he had the 2131 - 600 ft/lb in rev) and it exploded. It was like a grenade went off and shrapnel went everywhere. One of the pieces embedded itself into a wall. Luckily I was standing out of range because I had a feeling something bad might happen but it still scared the crap out of me. So, if you have no choice (for some reason) or are just the curious type and want to see it explode....at the very least wear a full face shield when doing it.

BTW those are really great guns, I will definately get one once I buy my compressor for my garage.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 05-13-2005 at 05:34 AM.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:36 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
That is pretty dangerous.....you never want to use regular chrome stuff with an impact tool. One time I was helping another mechanic loosen an axle nut and he didn't have a big enough impact socket so he grabbed a chrome one. I told him not to try it but he insisted because "sears crap has a lifetime guarantee". Well, he hit the socket with a gun similar to the one you guys are mentioning (I think he had the 2131 - 600 ft/lb in rev) and it exploded. It was like a grenade went off and shrapnel went everywhere. One of the pieces embedded itself into a wall. Luckily I was standing out of range because I had a feeling something bad might happen but it still scared the crap out of me. So, if you have no choice (for some reason) or are just the curious type and want to see it explode....at least wear a full face shield when doing it.

BTW those are really great guns, I will definately get one once I buy my compressor for my garage.
Yeah this happened when I first started working there so I got an earful from the master tech there. I learned quickly not to do that again. Fortunately for me the extension only snapped off and it didn't explode as in the case you were talking about. Snap-On impact sockets and extensions are the way to go for me. I haven't broken one yet, but then again I havent snapped or cracked a craftsman impact socket yet.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironmike4x4
Yeah this happened when I first started working there so I got an earful from the master tech there. I learned quickly not to do that again. Fortunately for me the extension only snapped off and it didn't explode as in the case you were talking about. Snap-On impact sockets and extensions are the way to go for me. I haven't broken one yet, but then again I havent snapped or cracked a craftsman impact socket yet.
We did find that Snap-On chrome sockets can take alot more abuse from an impact gun but they eventually break too (they also don't fragment as badly as the cheapo sockets do). The only drawback is that usually the snap on guy won't take em back because he knows how hard it is to break them normally (unless they are old) thus you must have been using them improperly (ie with an impact gun) to get them to fail.

As far as impact sockets and stuff, I have yet to break a Snap-On or Craftsman impact socket but I did break a Craftsman 3/8" to 1/2" adapter and a swivel impact extension (used the IR gun each time). None of my Snap-On impact stuff ever broke.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:16 AM

I have that gun also--but if you start putting extensions on it or have to much slack it wont carry the momentum of the hammers through to the bolt very well. Truthfully though everybody i know that uses an impact has one and they love them. I think i am going to have to try mine out on somebody elses air system
Old 04-09-2008, 05:39 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Note that the Craftsman impact guns are made by IR, in most cases the only difference is the label and the price. The funny part of it is that they sell the IR branded ones too, and you can hold them both in your hand and everything side - by - side and look at the price and wonder why anyone would buy the one with the IR name on it for $20 - $50 more ...
Old 04-09-2008, 07:30 AM

If you use ANY impact tool on a regular basis something will go wrong eventually....NONE of them are indestructible.
The great thing I have found about IR is that they are very tough and very easy to rebuild.
IR has very reasonable prices on their rebuild kits and they are incredibly easy to rebuild.
I worked at a foundry where they used them all over for production and maintenance purposes......after awhile I could completely strip, clean, and rebuild one in less than ten minutes.
They mostly were damaged by lack of lubrication.

For home use and if properly cared for, you may never have to rebuild one.
They are mostly designed for industrial use and they sell so damn many of them they don't have to rape you like Snap-on does!

P.S. Whatever you do get always lubricate it properly before and during use and I highly suggest that you install a swivel joint on the gun for the airline......it helps a lot if you are twisting and turning it around to reach different bolts and helps prevent your airline from tangling up.
Also, I'm not sure if they still do but, Wal-mart used to sell Nascar branded air tools that are actually made by IR and can usually be had for pretty good prices.

Last edited by fastkevman; 04-09-2008 at 07:36 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Holy 3 Year Old Thread Batman!!!