YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Off Road Tech, Fab Shop, Solid Axle Swaps, Tool Time, & Engine Swaps > Tool Time
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Tool Time Discussions here pertain to the use of tools you use while fabbing and wrenching in the garage

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-26-2009, 05:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Caught my truck on Fire

So i was weldin some sheet metal back on in my pinch weld area. When my wife said she had some lunch ready, I was starving so I rushed in and started eating. Well I went back outside to turn my welding machine off when I noticed the inside of my cab was smoky. I opened the door and there was a freaking fire! I looked around and I did not have anything to put out the fire not even a hose out front cause my landlord is cheap so he capped it off! I ran into the garage and got a bottle of winsheild wiper fluid and got the fire out.

Well lesson learned i got comfortable around my welder and have been taking alot of fire risks. Well I almost lost my truck another minute and the thing would of been a blaze unstoppable with my extinguishing capabilty.

OK OK I am buying an extinguisher today I have been putting it off.

Click the image to open in full size.

Cool thing is the speaker still works!

This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Old 02-26-2009, 05:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to bipolarandproud
Yikes! Did it burn any wiring ?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-26-2009, 05:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Been there done that. I fried the grommets and plastics in the door latch mechanism. It's scary i didnt have any water or extinguisher either. Got on now tho haha

DIRTY DIESEL

She aint purrin,
She's damn sure growlin

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-26-2009, 05:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

No wiring burnt I had pulled all the wiring out before I started cutting out that section. All that burnt was a plastic trim peice, my door skin, & speaker.

The Speaker is still rockin! LOL I am going to leave it half burnt it adds character!

Wow Alranger dont it before huh? This is the first time i caught my truck on fire. I have caught plenty of other things on fire due to welding like myself HA HA
Old 02-26-2009, 06:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned
Vendor Sales Rating: (10)

If you read this thread and don't have at least ONE fire extinguisher at your home and shop, buy one ASAP. Amazing how fast something can catch on fire and burn your house/shop down. I had a fire a couple weeks ago under a truck on jack stands...own stupidity, but a fire extinguisher right there put it out in a couple seconds...averting a big disaster...instead just a big mess.

Glad you got your speaker put out.

Be careful when you

Old 02-26-2009, 06:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

your tottally right wabbit my wife said come get some lunch hun I set down the mig gun walked in the house took a bite of a sandwich turned around walked back outside to shut down machine and the fire was going strong. When I opened the door the flame was burning my door skin, speaker and plastic trim. when i got back with the washer fluid half my door was on fire. you cant see that in the pictire because I ripped it off and stamped it out with my foot then pouring ample amounts of water inside the door. This all happend with in a minute.

I now know how much I really love my truck and bought an extinguisher to go with my mig machine.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned
Vendor Sales Rating: (10)

I think I have (5) fire extinguishers at the shop and (2) at the house.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yeah man crazy i did the exact same thing, i welded in the door and started doing something else. I smelled the smoke, i looked over and there was a flame pouring out the hole there. Started blowing on it and it got worse so i ran in a filled a mug with water and dowsed it down.

DIRTY DIESEL

She aint purrin,
She's damn sure growlin

Last edited by algranger; 02-26-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Aw man! You got speaker on your slider

DIRTY DIESEL

She aint purrin,
She's damn sure growlin

Old 02-26-2009, 07:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

dude that sucks, but be carefull with windshield wiper wash as a fire supresant.. some of it has alcohol in it as a defrost/drying agent.. from a personal expirence at work, all i can say is BAD IDEA lol .. im looking at picking up a CO2 fire extinguisher from our supplier at work.. i hate cleaning up that damn powder crap
current: 1986 4Runner, Rebuilt 22RE with engnbldr HP head, cam'd, battery/intake swap, SASed, 5.29s, detroit rear, 35in MTRs, trussed and armored axles, marlin HD clutch, soon to be dual cased, TG rear bumper, Best mod todate CHROME METAL SR5 DOOR HANDLES, thats whats up

RIP: 1985 Standard Cab SR5 pickup, add-a-leafs and shackels, 33" BFGs, it died a horrible death (50mph roll over)

DD: 2006 Scion Tc w/TRD Supercharge and TRD stainless cat-back exhaust
Old 02-26-2009, 09:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Toyrunna View Post
dude that sucks, but be carefull with windshield wiper wash as a fire supresant.. some of it has alcohol in it as a defrost/drying agent.. from a personal expirence at work, all i can say is BAD IDEA lol .. im looking at picking up a CO2 fire extinguisher from our supplier at work.. i hate cleaning up that damn powder crap
yea good thing it didnt have any of that alcohol crap! but that was all I had good thing it worked because if it would of accelerated I would have a pic of a burnt up yota
Old 02-26-2009, 09:45 PM   #12 (permalink)

yeah i need to get a new one, it expired. I almost got a paper warehouse on fire, I had all the ingredients for a huge fire.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:59 AM   #13 (permalink)

Notice the big hole exposing the heater core, evaporator, and garage floor.

Oops.

Carpet too.

Fortunately a garden hose extinguished the blaze. Had an ABC fire extinguisher handy too, but those make a huge mess.

There was some beer involved.

Plumbrbob, you're damn lucky that washer fluid was diluted. The concentrated stuff is mad flammable.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:06 AM   #14 (permalink)

A whole new "smoker" smell in your truck now! You might as well start smoking cigars to cover up the smell.

* Michelin LTX A/T2 31s on 1st-gen alloy rims
* SmittyBilt granny step bar
* SR5 Instrument Cluster
Old 02-28-2009, 11:38 AM   #15 (permalink)

When I was in the Navy the rule they had when doing "Hot Work", welding, grinding, cutting, was to have a fire watch for 30 minutes after completion. Good rule in my opinion, and I always hang out in my garage straightening up or whatever when I'm done just to make sure I don't burn my house down from some spark waiting to ignite.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:06 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor View Post
A whole new "smoker" smell in your truck now! You might as well start smoking cigars to cover up the smell.
The inside is mine reeked after the fire. Since I had to remove the dash to replace the HVAC box, everything got scrubbed in 409 before it went back in. No smell now.

Found a replacement HVAC box for $50 and while everything was out, I "clearanced" the firewall for the distributor, so real harm done. It was a very good lesson.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:06 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
4runner, catch, caught, cigarette, distributor, fire, flames, ford, huge, make, truck, wa, wiring, woulld, ws