Product Reviews Post your reviews on automotive and expedition-camping gear here

goodyear wrangler mt/r's

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 09:54 AM
lee
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
goodyear wrangler mt/r's

(265/75/16)
on-road: 9/10
pros: grips well on takeoff, smooth turning
cons: loud, you can feel the knobbiness as you turn the wheel at low speed

highway: 8/10
pros: grips well as on regular roads
cons: LOUD hum, squirly-ness if you maneuver too quickly, but they remain composed overall

offroad: 9.5/10
pros: I've only used them a handful of times offroad, but they are so grippy in water, mud, on rocks, over dirt, climbing things, creeping down slopes, etc. love em.
cons: none so far.

so thats my review. hope it helps someone.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:02 AM

i just put some on order...are they really really loud on the highway? I got a helluva deal too. 159 ea after rebate.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:38 AM
Contributing Member

Ive got a friend that just got some 305's i think on his FX4...they look good but seemed to wear quickly initially...Im sure they wont go like that their whole life, but they looked way different a week after he got them
Old 07-23-2005, 10:52 AM
Contributing Member

my cents...

ON ROAD
pros - good overall tires. no serious issues. not very loud for such an agressive tire.
cons - traction can get sketchy on takeoff on wet pavement, but if you drive carefully like you should anyway in the rain, you'll be okay. they maintain their tread for a long time, but once they start to wear down it seems to happen rather fast. i got 30K from my last set and it's looking like it'll be the same for my current 33s. the humming of the tires gets louder as they wear low.

OFF-ROAD
pros - love them in the dirt and rocks.. people have complained about them in the mud, but i haven't had any issues with em in the mud.
cons - for my uses, not much really. i realize they're not the ULTIMATE off road tire, but they do what i ask them to. i've seen and heard of punctured mtr sidewalls, but mine have help up nicely despite some occasional rock scrapes and abuse.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:36 AM
lee
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Noel
i just put some on order...are they really really loud on the highway? I got a helluva deal too. 159 ea after rebate.
its a hum you'll grow to love
Old 07-24-2005, 05:25 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had all sorts of BFG, Bridgestone, Michelin, & Nitto's before I got MT/R's

I hate BFG AT's.

Bridgestone Dueler MTs were OK, performed well, but were VERY loud and VERY expensive.

The Michelin LTX's are a good on-road tire, but absolutely SUCK offroad, even in wet grass...

The Nitto's are the best AT that I've had, and were good onroad and off. Slight hum, but worth it w/ the agressive-for-an-AT tread. Wore well, and will go on the wife's UZJ-100 as replacements.

The MT/R's are better on-road than the Nittos in both wet and dry traction. If you want the best, then you'll put up w/ the slight road noise. These are MUCH quieter than the Bridgestone Dueler MT's that were a smaller tire. The wet handling for me has been fine and they have NEVER hydroplaned - NEVER.

They spank everything else offroad - hands down - for moderate to extreme wheeling while still maintaining great on-road characteristics and wear. I got 36k out of my 285/75-16 MT/R's and they still had nearly half their tread left. After taking them off, I put them up for sale for $200 and had 4 buyers in line w/ cash in hand in less than 24 hours.

They bite on slick rocks, dirt, sand, mud, fallen trees, etc. The sidewalls seem to be nearly indestructable, and the ONLY bad thing that I can think of about them is that GY just discontinued the 305/70-16 MT/R's. The 285's are a good second choice for a mild lift, and 315's are a slight step up in height and width from the 305's.

285's are roughly 32.8"
305's are roughly 33.5"
315's are roughly 34.8"

Overall:

On-Road = 7.5 dry and 8.5 wet

Off-Road = 9.5, about as good as it gets for a streetable tire

Wear = 9.0, very good for a grippy tire.

ONLY DOWN SIDE IS THAT THEY NO LONGER MAKE A 305/70-16 IN A MT/R!!!

Last edited by bamachem; 08-08-2005 at 06:56 AM.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:48 AM
Contributing Member

Take it for what its worth- I've not owned these tires myself, but have seen these tires perform horribly in mud compared to similarly equipped vehicles with mud terrains. I'll see if I can dig up the video...
Old 07-24-2005, 12:17 PM
Banned

i agree that they're no the best in the mud - not swampers for sure - but they are MUCH better than AT's in the mud in my experiences and better than the MT's on rocks.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:36 PM
Contributing Member

In the sticky mud they don't clean very well, but here in SoCal there usually in'st much wet to deal with, they work great on the rocks.... I got 37k and counting out of my set, but they did get quite noisy....
Old 07-25-2005, 04:38 AM

Talking Mud

Originally Posted by Mad Chemist
Take it for what its worth- I've not owned these tires myself, but have seen these tires perform horribly in mud compared to similarly equipped vehicles with mud terrains. I'll see if I can dig up the video...
I've owned the Good Year ATS, Michelin LTX and now the MTRs.

Good Year ATS were a nice tire over all but wore really bad even with frequent rotation and rebalance. Truck alignment was checked as well so that was not the issue.

Michelin LTX were just fantastic on road. Real quiet, smooth, nearly no weights to balance, etc... But as Bamachem mentionned the can hardly get the truck going on wet grass! As for snow, forget about it.

MTRs, all I have to say is great! They are loud on road, but that is to be expected for such an agressive tire. My first set was was replaced for free after 10 K by GY because they could not balance them. I belive that they have some issues when it come to balance and roundness. Would I buy another set? Definately especially since GY replaced the defective ones with 10K on them for free. That made the difference between me ever buying their product again or not. The tire shop owner told me he would not let me leave until I was satisfied. Now that is customer service.
Yesterday I tested how well the worked in the mud while going to pull my friend who was stuck. I was skeptical at first and I was holding back on the throttle leading to the tires not cleaning out. I just did not want to get stuck as well. After a bit, I got on the gas and they were cleaning well and boy they worked just great. I ended up towing my friend out through the mud and am positive that he would still be there if it were not for the locker and tires. I'll have to post a few pics later. So my impressions are that they work well in the mud.
Cheers,
P
Old 10-25-2005, 07:00 AM
lee
Contributing Member

bump

now that winter is approaching, any comments or feedback on mt/rs in the snow?
Old 10-25-2005, 07:14 AM
Contributing Member

I love mine and can't wait for some snow

Has anyone siped theirs??
Old 10-25-2005, 11:49 AM
lee
Contributing Member

anyone?? thats a good q... i wanna do that.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:52 AM

Lee, go yell at those people up there! They said your precious MT/R's weren't that good in mud!!! :cry:
Old 10-25-2005, 12:08 PM
Banned

I've run mine in light snow last winter and they did really well...

I haven't tried them in anything more than a couple inches. I'm not planning on siping mine.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:09 PM
Contributing Member

they do well in snow.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:16 PM
lee
Contributing Member

good to hear... cant wait to find out for myself... snow should be here soon!
Old 10-26-2005, 03:13 PM
Banned

Yes, please report back on how well they do ont he snow. Esp when we get hit w/ 20 or so inches.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:23 AM

I also have not personally owned these tires but here guys over the cb take a lot of crap (good natured of course) for having them while wheeling.

Just a side note I've got 65K on my BFG M/T wth about 30 - 40% tread left
Old 10-29-2005, 02:50 PM
Joe
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Gbost
I also have not personally owned these tires but here guys over the cb take a lot of crap (good natured of course) for having them while wheeling.

Just a side note I've got 65K on my BFG M/T wth about 30 - 40% tread left
I'll second that Gbost, BFG M/Ts will keep up with MT/Rs all day long with less noise and wear. I siped mine when I was running the 255X85X16's and they didn't chunk too badly on the rocks over a couple years and the tire performed well on slick surfaces and snow. As for MT/Rs - they're a great tire, a little noisy but they work as well as any tire out there in the rocks and their sidewalls don't seem to cut, whereas the BFG sidewalls get all kinds of cuts (superficial). I use to run snow in NE Minnesota and for my money I'll take siped M/Ts any day of the week over A/Ts as I could usually go another 10 yards to a quarter mile further than any AT before I got high centered and had to start shoveling out. At/s worked real well following in the tracks blazed by M/Ts.

Quick Reply: goodyear wrangler mt/r's