Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Tofer's Nor-Cal Farewell Tour 7/26-7/29

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 10:43 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Tofer's Nor-Cal Farewell Tour 7/26-7/29

What a way to go out!!! this was a great weekend for camping and wheelin.

The People:

Alex & Aaron: 96 Taco. SAS with D44 bobb'ed and 1/2 doors.

Joey: 94 4runner. SAS'ed, locked, cased, ready to rock and roll.

John: 96 4runner. stock

The Carnage:

Me: noticed one of my steering arms is bent. (no idea if it happend on this trip or not). kissed a tree and put 2 tiny dents on the passenger side.

Alex: broke the bolts on the t-case side of his front drive shaft. and if i am ever lost in the woods and need firewood i'm NOT bringing alex.....the kid seems to fail to see even the largest of trees....

Joey and John: None that i can think of.

Thurs:The Trip started with alex and Aaron meeting me in Stockton and the 3 of us heading out Thursday morning. we went ran sourgrass trail. for those who never have run it i highly recommend it. it is just outside of Arnold and is one of those trails that both stock IFS rigs and SAS'ed locked rigs can have fun on. plus there are some great camping spots towards the middle and end. we set up a slack line between two trees, played in the river, shot the potato gun, BBQ'ed dinner and went to bed.

Fri: woke up, cleaned up around us and picked trash up that others left behind. went back down to Arnold to get the bolts needed to fix alex's front drive shaft. met joey at the turn off for slick rock but decided to run straight to Barney Riley. Got to the BR trail head, aired down and headed to the tubs. We saw a momma bear and 2 cubs in a meadow along the way stopping to give her plenty of room. got to the tubs set up camp. John got to the tubs later friday night. there were already a couple people set up camp, BS'ed with them for a while, drank more beer then we probably should have, went in the tubs and passed out.

Sat: Woke up, shook the hang over off, and cleaned up camp. on our way out we saw momma bear again but this time she was far away from us so we didnt have to stop. went to markleeville to get ice, more beer, and gas... Lesson of the trip NEVER PUT A POUND OF BUTTER IN A COOLER WITH OUT PUTTING IT IN ZIPLOCK BAGS..... my cooler will never be the same again. we headed over to the hwy 4 entrance to Deer Valley. John wasnt able to get through the first big obstacle of the trail, and since i have a 1000+ trip on tues i wasnt in the mood to break anything. so we opted to run back down past markleeville back up 88 to meet alex, aaron and joey on the lake side of deer valley. from there we went to Strawberry. we camped along side the trail a little ways into it. one of the prettiest camp sites i've been to in a while. Cooked dinner, and went to bed.

sun: Woke up, and headed back down the way we came in to 88. I half wanted to run strawberry to 50 but at the same time i already considered the trip to be a success and already had fun and it didnt seem worth the risk in breaking something.

The Pics:
The pics can be found here: http://photography.eakland.net/main.php?g2_itemId=638
but here are some teasers...

Sourgrass trail. This is the one part of the trail that would give an stock IFS truck some trouble.

on BR trail

camp at night. we had a full moon all weekend.

pack it in pack it out. trail sacks work wonderful

close but no cigar

group shot at the end of Deer valley.

great view from camp on Strawberry

Stars!!!

almost.......

200k!!!!!
Old 07-29-2007, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks like a fun trip. wish i could have come
Old 07-30-2007, 11:58 AM
Sponsor

ya you missed out on a great trip...
Old 07-30-2007, 12:02 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Great pic Chris.

Now you can start scoping out some places up here to do some wheeling.
You should try the Naches Trail that the FJs went on a few Saturdays ago.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:21 PM
Sponsor

i already have a Greenwater area exploring trip planned for this weekend with my brother, assuming everything goes smoothly on my drive home. you could come out and wheel.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:13 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I have a Greenwater trip planned in the Trip Planning area for the following Saturday, the 11th if enough want to come along.

This Saturday the rig needs a much needed bath.
Has not been cleaned up since the last trip up there.

Let us know where you end up there, and if you find some interesting areas to explore.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:16 PM
Contributing Member

Nice pics Chris! I'll get mine up soon.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:57 PM

congrats, you have officially taken the first real action shot of my rig. It was good wheeling and camping with you again. Looks like we may get to do it again. I may be moving up north to go to school. Gonna apply for Cat's dealership technician program.

Quick Reply: Tofer's Nor-Cal Farewell Tour 7/26-7/29