Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Crown King trail - dialup warning

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crown King trail - dialup warning

This is what I love to do- Kung-fu wander the earth action. My first real offroad trip in Arizona-Crown King! I got detailed directions from a local master and went to enjoy Az. The ride took me 7 hours to go 43 miles!
I didn't take pictures of that one non-bypass climb. I was kind of worried about it after reading others had trouble with it only a month earlier-in that thread using good old "search" so no pics. Also 2 seperate trucks went back, saying it was too tough for them and a ATV rider said "watch out you got a brick wall ahead of you".
2 ATV riders waited at the top as they saw me coming. I walked it and one guy said "you think you can make it? we'll move out of the way if you do." I said "oh, it doesn't look too bad..." Actually it wasn't at all. I just zipped right up. The climb up and out of the valley was far more challanging in my opinion- rock garden after rock garden.

The beginning is all graded fireroad type stuff but great views. As a visitor to Az, I appreciate all the geological formations and vegitation.

The depressing thing I saw was alot of housing going up- this was a particularly vulgar display in harsh contrast to the beautiful desert landscape

there were cows man!

Didn't spot the rusted FJ but saw this flipped Wagoneer

this chevy was up on rocks- don't know if the owner did it to prevent theft or if they were stolen!

Cooked some steak & stuff, had some coffee for lunch- thanks to my friends who inspired me!

Last edited by FirstToy; 12-28-2004 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:53 PM

part 2

trail got more interesting in places- this is typical

a nice descent- stuff like this everywhere made it fun

some good rock gardens to run thru

can anyone tell me what this rock wall was for?

squeezing between 2 rocks

The narrow, rocky climb to out and over to Crown King- this was actually the most difficult part for me. I was fighting against the falling sunlight and the challenges were more continual- good if I had time to relish them but I didn't want to wheel in the dark. That was my only disappointment of the whole trip was I couldn't enjoy the challenges and take pics.

I rolled into Crown King as night fell. It's a neat little town with friendly people. Saw this nice Pig for sale! Sign was too faded to see the number at night sorry guys!

Notice why you need sliders?
Old 12-28-2004, 10:01 PM
Contributing Member

lookin nice FirstToy! man I tell ya dial up SUX!!!

looks like you had ALOT of fun!!!
Old 12-28-2004, 10:06 PM

It was really lovely. No cellphone ringing, no deadlines. I really enjoy the outdoors, just me and God's ear so-to-speak if that's not too corny.

dang Lance, you on dial up?! Go 28.8k!
Old 12-28-2004, 10:09 PM
Contributing Member

i moved so no dsl!!! all i can do is IM haha

boy that blazer looks good. did you call the local authorities to notify the lost vehicle?
Old 12-28-2004, 10:11 PM
Banned

awesome pictures!! and that cargo box you built is unbeatable!
Old 12-28-2004, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Good Times
i moved so no dsl!!! all i can do is IM haha

boy that blazer looks good. did you call the local authorities to notify the lost vehicle?
ok no typing from now on, everyone take a pictures and post in sign language to REALLY kill Lance

No cell phone availability and there is really no way to tow out from there as far as I can figure. It wasn't lost, there was stuff on the ground so I know they were working on it. Best I can figure they went back to civilization to get more supplies...yeah it has a long-travel kit on there.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:13 AM

There were several old mining camps on the way to CK- Burro John's fire place, the camp known as Fort Misery, and many more...

If I'm guessing right, the rock wall you asked about is just past a nice rock shelf that crossed the trail, just before you get to the cliff edge portion of the road. It looks like the old Oro Belle Mine - that's where the safe was kept. There were over 5000 people living in that location.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:37 AM

Crawler,
Yes that is exactly where it was- there was another rock wall falling apart- Oro Belle Mine thanks!

I also have pics of that fire place, I thought it was a house that burned down or something- cool, good to put names to these sites
Old 12-29-2004, 01:24 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Great pics man, looks like you had a great time.

You should show these to the guy in that other post who told the guy to buy a real truck, as he had a 4th gen.

I have the utmost respect for the 4th gens, as I got to test one of the first ones in WA. state up at Greenwater that a member here had bought.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:28 PM
Contributing Member

Glad you had fun on the infamous CK run! I would never do that alone. You are officially crazy!
Old 12-29-2004, 05:35 PM

Is it that bad Christian? I kind of thought it was really beautiful there and fun. It's a 3+ right?

Hey, that one non-bypass climb: afterwards there is a easy climb to a summit (bypass to the right, straight up is harder) where there is a turnout to enjoy the view and a gated turnout just a bit further down to the right?
I'm looking at your photos trying to figure out if it matches... it looks like the same thing...I should have taken pics there, I thought to go back but it's not exactly the easiest place to turn around as you know.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:40 PM
Contributing Member

Looks awesome!
Those are some great pictures... and I agree with Corey, you should share these with that dork that was dissing the 4th gens.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:50 PM
Bud

sheez', finally some new wheeling pix from James. Its about time.!
Looking darn good btw.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:21 PM

hey Bud, I did Rowher a little while ago too!

I have the utmost respect for the 4th gens, as I got to test one of the first ones in WA. state up at Greenwater that a member here had bought.
Corey, I lived on there! watched those videos where you say "DAC is working" and all the Toy publicity shots, the dealership shots...yeah that was a big help back then when everyone was dissing the 4th gen.

What thread has the guy dissing 4th gens? Show him Lance & Michael at Moab.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:24 PM
Contributing Member

nice looking trail. and good shots.
looks like you had some fun.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:35 PM
Contributing Member

James, nice set of pics from what sounds like a great trip. Glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for sharing! But, what really gets me, is that you had steak--on a camping trip. NICE! I usually live on turkey sandwiches when I'm out and about. I'm jealous! Now I just want to hit my head on the wall after hearing this. Ugh!
Old 12-29-2004, 09:55 PM

Oh yeah Darren, sliced & marinated the night before and ready to go...mmmm! I definitely have to hook up with you and wheel Colorado for a few days in 05!
Old 12-30-2004, 02:38 PM
Contributing Member

that road blew two tires on my exploder, my friend drove me back to town in his rover, with 5 guys and 3 dogs and two flats, a little cramped. My dad destroyed the idler arm on his runner on the rescue mission. way fun drive! Great pics!
Old 12-30-2004, 10:39 PM
Contributing Member

Sweet pics, defintely time for me to get those sliders so I can go play a bit more. Looks like real good fun you had

Quick Reply: Crown King trail - dialup warning