Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Brown Mountain NC

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 05:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brown Mountain NC

If your rig is pretty much stock and your looking for a nice day out in the woods, I found Brown Mountain to be well worth the drive and $5 trail use fee.

Brown Mountain OHV Area is located between Morganton and Lenoir NC. About an hour and a half away from the Asheville area........Unless you take my 'short cut', then you can add another hour and a half. (snafu #1) I did go out there in my Subaru Forester XT (didn't get very far, alone and a big t-storm rolled in) a few years ago, you used to pay the trail fee on the honor system. Put your money in an envelope and tear off your trail pass. now you have to go to a vendor to buy your pass, we discovered this at the gate. Back track 5mi. to pass vendor and back to the trail. (snafu #2)

Finally, we made it into the dirt!!! About two hours later than planned.
My friend Will and his buddy Dave drove Dave's '91 4Runner, Will normally drives his Landy Defender, but he left it at our meeting point this time.

The trail open to 4wd here are both rated 'easy', and for the most part they are.

We found the mud hole to wallow about in for a little while.

Heading up toward the top of the mountain the trail gets steeper and much more challenging.

Rock face at the top of the mountain. Looks nice and smooth...NOT!!! Really wish I could have gotten a good pic of the true texture of this rock, which we were on for at least 1/4mi. (in other words, it's a really big rock)

Damage report: Heat shield ripped off of my cat, one broken exhaust hanger, however, my newly purchased BudBuilt skid plate paid for itself on this first off road outing, damage could have been worse.

More completely out-of-order pics Here.

A big fun day, and after off-roading Hayden (my son) and I went to Linville Caverns where I didn't even try to take any photos, but a really 'cool' (52 deg., year round) place, well worth 6$

Last edited by carljwnc; 07-20-2008 at 06:09 AM.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's great !! Thanks for the report, Brown Mountain has been one of my intended destinations for wheeling next time I get up to GOD's country, Asheville... :-)
Old 07-21-2008, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by misterzee
That's great !! Thanks for the report, Brown Mountain has been one of my intended destinations for wheeling next time I get up to GOD's country, Asheville... :-)
I'm certainly ready to go again!!! Next month is Hurricane Creek again, so probably in Sept. sometime. Would love to have you along.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey misterzee.. You think my poor yota would make this trail with my mud & snow tires on??

Last edited by GrizzlyNC; 09-03-2008 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by 1SICK91
hey misterzee.. You think my poor yota would make this trail with my mud & snow tires on??
My stock 4Runner made it with street tires, so you should have no problem.