Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Black's summer vacation to the Rocky Mountains

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 06:09 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ranma21
Nice pictures, MT Goat. I was worried about Black Bear when I was wheeling in CO last year since my truck was stock and never wheel before. Guess I am going to try this september
Be aware that there are places on Black Bear were it is easy to get crossed-up (one front and one rear wheel off the ground at the same time). In those situations at least one locked diff is very helpful on Black Bear because some of the problem spots are on the tight switch backs on the edge on a cliff. I may have made it sound fairly easy but look at the mods I have, especially the front and rear air lockers. 2 people died on the trail this year and it is the roughest now I've seen it in 6 years. I have done it in the past without ever locking my diffs, but the trail was in better shape then.

My wife was pretty freaked out this year and said she doesn't want to ever do Black Bear again and she's been over it 5 times before and liked it. I don't have any pictures of the scarest (best) part of the trail because she was too freaked out to stop and take pictures.

I just wanted to get all the warnings in so you don't get mad at me if it's more that your ready for right now.

Last edited by mt_goat; 09-06-2004 at 06:12 AM.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mt_goat
Be aware that there are places on Black Bear were it is easy to get crossed-up (one front and one rear wheel off the ground at the same time). In those situations at least one locked diff is very helpful on Black Bear because some of the problem spots are on the tight switch backs on the edge on a cliff. I may have made it sound fairly easy but look at the mods I have, especially the front and rear air lockers. 2 people died on the trail this year and it is the roughest now I've seen it in 6 years. I have done it in the past without ever locking my diffs, but the trail was in better shape then.

My wife was pretty freaked out this year and said she doesn't want to ever do Black Bear again and she's been over it 5 times before and liked it. I don't have any pictures of the scarest (best) part of the trail because she was too freaked out to stop and take pictures.

I just wanted to get all the warnings in so you don't get mad at me if it's more that your ready for right now.
Woo hoo...sounds pretty challenging!! So it is better to equipt with locker before I go then?? Since most likely I will be solo this time
Old 09-06-2004, 04:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ranma21
Woo hoo...sounds pretty challenging!! So it is better to equipt with locker before I go then?? Since most likely I will be solo this time
This year any way, unless you find a buddy to help you out of a jam. We were all alone up there this year, usually there are some other people up there too. The Forest Service may take a bulldozer over it next summer and make it easy again.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice pics!