Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Kill Switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2023, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kill Switch

Hey guys,
I just read the unfortunate post about '88 Daily's truck getting stolen out of California. What do you think the easiest and most effective means of installing a kill switch on the early Toyotas are? I was thinking about a starter kill but with my truck having the manual 5 speed, somebody could push start it if the starter wouldn't engage and they wanted it bad enough. I actually have a fuel inline cutoff switch that I was going to use on my early Bronco, but most of the fuel lines in the Toyota are hard lines and I'm not interested in hacking those up. These truck do have electronic fuel pumps, so if you could isolate the wire to the fuel pump and install a switch there you would be able to shut the fuel pump down from inside the cab. That might give you the added bonus of possibly catching the thief when the fuel runs out and he is halfway out of the parking space. Also, I would think using the coil wire and running the switch into the cab might have an effect on the voltage since the increased length of wire would increase the resistance and cause a voltage drop.
Thoughts?
Old 06-03-2023, 05:16 PM

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
It seems like most people that have the electric fuel pump go that route. I have a carb'd '85, and I've been successfully running a relay spliced into the +12v igniter supply for several years. I control the relay with a remote from Gamma Electronics, but it seems like most people just use a hidden switch.
https://www.gamainc.com/product/rfr12v1c/
It definitely takes a little headscratching to figure out the best way to wire the remote / relays, but it's pretty easy to set it up (remote or switch) so that when the fuel pump or igniter is disabled and someone tries to start the truck the current instead goes to a siren.
The big problem with the relay / remote route is that it creates a small draw that will drain you battery if it's not a daily driver, which is not a problem with the switch route. The benefit of the remote / relay is that if you locate it under the hood and then find a way to lock your hood closed, you don't have to worry about someone finding your secret switch.
A GPS tracker provides an extra layer of security...
Old 06-17-2023, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply Old Blue,
The relay from the pump to a siren was something I hadn't even considered but that's a great idea. I think I am going to go the electric fuel pump route, the pump is in the tank so if I can figure out the color of the wire I need to splice a switch into, it shouldn't be too hard to run something up from under the passenger seat to wherever I think the switch would be pretty convenient to reach, but not easy for somebody to find and disable.
I would be crushed if some scumbag ripped off my truck after all the the sweat and tears (not to mention the $$$) that I have put into into getting this thing where I want it.
The GPS tracker is something else that I am going to strongly consider not as well. If somebody does make off with my truck and I can find it before it gets across the line, I have a better chance of getting it back.
Thank you sir!
Ron
Old 06-19-2023, 11:39 AM

Received 409 Likes on 263 Posts
I simply by passed the switch and put a push button start on my rug. So. You turn the switch to the on positition and hit the button to start it... it won't start with just the ignition switch.
Old 06-20-2023, 06:01 AM

Received 151 Likes on 126 Posts
I wired an on/off toggle switch inline with one of the clutch start safety switch wires to prevent starting even with the clutch engaged. Its well hidden by within reach.