84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Water pump & timing chain cover gasket sealant

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 10:28 PM

Received 75 Likes on 54 Posts
Water pump & timing chain cover gasket sealant

Is anybody using sealant on the water pump and timing chain gaskets? FSM doesn't call out for anything on the water pump, just the gasket. The timing chain cover I plan on using gasgacinch and thinking about using it on the water pump gasket as well, seen that on LCE engine build. Thoughts?

Last edited by NYHumpinUtah; 05-06-2018 at 10:48 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:47 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I usually use CopperCoat on those gaskets. Been using it longer than I can recall and haven't had any issues.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:54 AM

You talking about this stuff
Amazon Amazon
Old 05-07-2018, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by NYHumpinUtah
Yup, that's it. But Amazon lies - it isn't "easy to use". It is very sticky - I treat it as if I were spraying something that will NEVER come off my hands.
That said - it is worth the effort IMO.

I have used it on head gaskets where an adhesive was appropriate.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:27 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Only sealant where it meets the oil pan, and head gasket. Ultra gray works well. . Paper gaskets, or most gaskets for that matter, are not made to be silicone in place or used with a sealant.. If the instructions do not call for it, do not use it. Nothing worse than having silicone making the job look like a mess, and then to still have it leak. And do not over tighten the bolt coming through the head into the top of the timing cover. No amount of silicone or jb weld will fix that leak.

Silicone gets used when there is not going to be a paper gasket used.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:43 AM

So, I will not use anything on the water pump as the FSM says but I will use the gasgacinch on the timing chain cover as per LCE
Hope to get this mounted up today, that timing cover takes so many different size and length bolts its a pain.
Thanks guys
Old 05-07-2018, 12:59 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
I think 4crawler has a diagram on his site with all the different bolt sizes and lengths and where they go.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by thefishguy77
I think 4crawler has a diagram on his site with all the different bolt sizes and lengths and where they go.
LCE sent a diagram with the kit, I was just commenting or all the different size and lenghts there were
But thanks
Old 05-18-2018, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by SENOR NOODLES
Only sealant where it meets the oil pan, and head gasket. Ultra gray works well. . Paper gaskets, or most gaskets for that matter, are not made to be silicone in place or used with a sealant.. If the instructions do not call for it, do not use it. Nothing worse than having silicone making the job look like a mess, and then to still have it leak. And do not over tighten the bolt coming through the head into the top of the timing cover. No amount of silicone or jb weld will fix that leak.

Silicone gets used when there is not going to be a paper gasket used.
Ok, What about the rear main seal? any sealant on that gasket? Now the big one, the oil pan gasket, should I use the cork gasket or look for some other type material. That's the next thing on the list
Old 05-18-2018, 10:07 PM

Cork is probably going to leak unless its perfect.

Toyota FIGP, permatex ultra black or ultra gray all would be fine. Just get it clean first. Prep work equals success.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by thefishguy77
Cork is probably going to leak unless its perfect.

Toyota FIGP, permatex ultra black or ultra gray all would be fine. Just get it clean first. Prep work equals success.
Use that with the cork gasket or just by itself without the gasket. I know there are oil pans designed just for silicone use but I don't have that type, just the original pan.
How about the rear main seal, just the gasket without any sealant right
Old 05-19-2018, 07:48 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Ok, What about the rear main seal? any sealant on that gasket? Now the big one, the oil pan gasket, should I use the cork gasket or look for some other type material. That's the next thing on the list
ultra gray where the rear main seal housing gasket touches the oil pan gasket.. that is it. Paper gaskets work the best on dry clean surfaces. When using a sealer of silicone, you now have a barrier and it may leak, or it may not. I never use anything with the gasket, unless the mating surface is pitted or scored and nothing else can be done

. If you use shellac, or aviation form-a-gasket (the brown gooey stuff) do not spread it on too thick, it will look like an oil leak once the engine heats up. Even though it is just the sealer.

Only time I use silicone on these engines is where one gasket or seal contacts another. top and bottom corners of timing cover, rear seal plate, half moons to valve cover gasket. I can not think of any other place.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:32 PM

Use that with the cork gasket or just by itself without the gasket. I know there are oil pans designed just for silicone use but I don't have that type, just the original pan.
How about the rear main seal, just the gasket without any sealant right
Just the RTV. Forget the cork all together.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oil pan seal

Just thought I mention that 79-84 oil pans take a cork gasket and the 85+ use toyota FIPG (form in place gasket) or ultra gray. I have an ‘85 and the PO put a cork gasket on the pan. It squeezed out the side (the newer pans don’t have a lip to keep the seal in place) and leaked.

Heres a pic from LCE’s site. Check your pan type and go with the appropriate seal.

For the timing cover and water pump I used paper gaskets with permatex high tack spray-a-gasket sealer and it worked well.

Old 05-20-2018, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Winky29
Just thought I mention that 79-84 oil pans take a cork gasket and the 85+ use toyota FIPG (form in place gasket) or ultra gray. I have an ‘85 and the PO put a cork gasket on the pan. It squeezed out the side (the newer pans don’t have a lip to keep the seal in place) and leaked.

Heres a pic from LCE’s site. Check your pan type and go with the appropriate seal.

For the timing cover and water pump I used paper gaskets with permatex high tack spray-a-gasket sealer and it worked well.

Winky29
Thanks, Mine is the top pic and I needed someone to confirm what thought was the way to go. Actually I'm having lunch right now, I just finished putting on the rear main seal, put the engine back on the stand, knocked down the high spots on the oil pan using a ball been hammer and all ready to install the oil pan.
Are you just using the cork gasket, or are you putting a shin film of ultra gray?
Thanks
Old 05-20-2018, 03:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mines an 85 so I’ve got the second type of pan and I used Toyota FIPG, no cork. Sealed up great.
I honestly can’t recomend sealant or not on the cork oil pan gasket as I’ve never done one that calls for cork. Sorry, maybe someone can chime in.

Winky
Old 05-20-2018, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Winky29

Bingo, this is the right info for your application. I also like Permatex high tack spray as much as Copper Coat.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by L5wolvesf
Bingo, this is the right info for your application. I also like Permatex high tack spray as much as Copper Coat.
Yep, That's what I told him, and yes that's what I thought! Oil pan is on!
Old 05-21-2018, 10:11 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
DONT USE A CORK OIL PAN GASKET. i had nothing but issues. i finally resealed the pan last week with the Toyota FIPG and have no issues.

i can't comment on the TC cover stuff. when i did my TC in October, i did not use any sort of sealant with the paper gaskets provided in the ENGNBLDR kit. i either didn't clean well enough or scratched the sealing surface or something because mine leaks from the cover on the driver's side of the oil pump. so my trial of only using the paper gasket failed, but it could have been my fault rather than the media.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:05 AM

Genera_lee
Did you see the difference in the pans from yours to mine above. Mine was designed for a gasket. It has the raised edge for a gasket, otherwise if you put any kind of sealant on it ,it will just squeeze out. That's the difference between oil pans

Last edited by NYHumpinUtah; 05-22-2018 at 08:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Water pump & timing chain cover gasket sealant