86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Leaky block heater

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 05:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Leaky block heater

So I'm getting my 92 with a 22re ready to sell. While giving her a once-over I discovered that the (totally unnecessary) block heater has a pretty steady drip going --doh!!

Has anyone removed one before? I was able to just tap the er in a bit, which did not stop the leak but seems promising for removal. Should I get a new one or just put some silicone tape or gum-puckey on it or something?

Thanks!!

Last edited by Terrys87; 11-19-2017 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Language
Old 11-18-2017, 05:58 PM

Received 284 Likes on 212 Posts
the easiest fix is usually to remove the old one and replace it with a new block heater. unplug the wire, loosen the center screw or bolt quite a bit and pry the old one out being careful not to gouge the sealing surface. clean the hole with emery cloth or scotch brite if it looks corroded. lube the new one with coolant pop it in with the element pointed where the distructions tell you and make sure it is fully seated then tighten the center screw until it starts to get harder to turn. after that fill it up and pressure test it, good luck there's a lot that can go wrong and I can't list it all !!!!
Old 11-19-2017, 03:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks. Does the center screw thread into a shaft in the block or is it some kind of expanding deal? maybe I'll try again to tighten it, I couldn't believe that actually served a purpose on the first look
Old 11-19-2017, 04:00 PM

Received 284 Likes on 212 Posts
That center screw threads into a "T" bar. when you tighten the screw it pulls down between two wings kinda like a sheetrock anchor. when those spread far enough they clamp the heater into the block. You might get lucky trying to tighten it, but not likely. Once the seal is broken they generally don't reseal well and after time when you turn the center screw it will leak around that too.