86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Joe's 1987 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 03:04 PM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by hildebrandt
Just read through your thread. Fantastic work, your tenacity in giving your 4runner new life is impressive! I also live in Boone and just happened to come across your thread when I was researching some rust repair ideas for my 1983 LandCruiser FJ60. Thanks for the inspiration!
Thanks man! It wouldn't happen to be the blue LandCruiser I often see parked out on Boone Heights Drive by Bare Essentials is it? There aren't too many of those running around Boone.

Originally Posted by ToyoToler
Man, I love a clean rear end...
Yep. Thanks man!
Old 06-17-2016, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have seen that one but mine is actually a white one. Here is a thread on IHMUD with some pics if you care to take a gander http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/new-...-rusty.934228/
Hijak over!

If you ever need a hand on your project I would be happy to help out a fellow Toyota truck lover. I hope to see your truck around Boone before long, I will keep and eye out

Last edited by hildebrandt; 06-17-2016 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:32 PM

That thing is SWEET. Probably one of the only vehicles I would seriously consider letting go of my 4Runner for. I have seen Rusty around- occasionally see it parked outside Boone Bike, right?
Looks like you have your work cut out for you too. Be careful. I've learned that one thing really does lead to another, then another and another... Your wife may one day regret encouraging you to buy it. I'd love to catch up with you some time and check it out.

And... I just finished unloading my new fiberglass quarters over at my shop!
I haven't taken them out of the crate yet, but they look AWESOME!!
Old 06-18-2016, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by ladybugRC
That thing is SWEET. Probably one of the only vehicles I would seriously consider letting go of my 4Runner for. I have seen Rusty around- occasionally see it parked outside Boone Bike, right?
Looks like you have your work cut out for you too. Be careful. I've learned that one thing really does lead to another, then another and another... Your wife may one day regret encouraging you to buy it. I'd love to catch up with you some time and check it out.

And... I just finished unloading my new fiberglass quarters over at my shop!
I haven't taken them out of the crate yet, but they look AWESOME!!
Im still waiting to help lol
way things are going now I would of had time to order those as well, but the stock ones i bought will work
Old 06-18-2016, 05:39 AM

If we ever get these things road ready we all need to get together for a test drive.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by SwVa_1stGen
Im still waiting to help lol
I haven't forgotten, thanks!
It took nine and a half months for them to get here from the time I ordered.

Originally Posted by 92ehatch
If we ever get these things road ready we all need to get together for a test drive.
Yes! Maybe a nice cruise down the Blue Ridge Parkway.

And Happy Father's Day!

I got what I wanted: a few hours to get some stuff done.
Mostly cleaning and painting parts.
I POR'd the brake drums, I degreased and acid treated the rear end, ready for a coat of POR.
I cleaned up the garage- good floor sweep, pulled a lot of old parts out, organized my new stuff getting ready to get the rear end back on the truck:

Old 06-22-2016, 06:59 AM

Thanks for the kind words! I work part time at Boone Bike so Rusty is often over there. It definitely is a slippery slope diving into these projects, the list of things to do just keeps growing. I try my best to just work in small chunks and leave things alone that I can't complete right now. I can't wait to see your quarters, it will be so nice to have fresh rust free body work on there. That is a good looking pile of parts in your last pic. Is there a roll of brakeline in there? Are you doing new hardlines?
Old 06-22-2016, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by hildebrandt
That is a good looking pile of parts in your last pic. Is there a roll of brakeline in there? Are you doing new hardlines?
Yes, a roll of the nickel-copper line; won't ever rust. I'm not doing the front lines as they're in good shape but I am doing all new lines to the rear. I borrowed a flare tool from a friend today and I'm hoping to tackle that job very soon.

I also made a frustrating discovery: the gas tank is not the correct one. Dang. Everything lines up except two things. The holes in the top of the tank where the fuel pump assembly goes. They're not correct. I was willing to drill new holes and make it work until I also realized the second thing: that the new tank is too shallow for the pump assembly. It sticks out of the top of the tank about half an inch. So, those two combined and I'm faced with sourcing another tank. To make matters worse I already went and painted the tank and I'm past the thirty day return date...
I will call the company tomorrow and see what can be done. If nothing else I'll try to identify which vehicle this tank does fit and try to resell it. Then see if I can't get the correct tank.

I did swing by the garage yesterday afternoon for about thirty minutes and applied a nice coat of POR to the axle housing- I'll get a picture up next time I'm over there- and it looks really great, I'm very happy with it.

Creeping ever closer to at least being able to start it up again and going for a drive. I still haven't even taken the new quarters out of the crate. How can life go so FAST and things still be so SLOW!?

Last edited by ladybugRC; 06-22-2016 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:18 AM

Well, the quarters are out of the crate:

We will see how long they sit there waiting to be installed...

Productive morning. I got the new brake lines installed. They're not super pretty- I had a hard time getting them straight, but they will do the job!

I've also started to reassemble the rear end. Following these directions here I got the third member finished and painted:

...and back home:

Toyota FIPG and 25 ft/lbs- shouldn't leak! I also plan to replace the pinion seal as I noticed it was leaking a little bit. I think that will be easier to do once the rear end is back on the truck. I can start installing the new springs as well, just a little more cleaning and painting under there.

Last edited by ladybugRC; 06-24-2016 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:40 PM

I am happy to say that for the first time since the middle of March my 4Runner is back on all four wheels.

I had good music and good company with me today and we got some work done. Put the rear end together:

New brake lines installed:

Installed my Old Man Emu springs and Toyota shackles:

My multi-purpose creeper:

Then a little help lifting it into place:

New ARB u-bolts in place and torqued to 80ft/lbs.

Anyone think I will have issues with that ubolt setup? I did not use the bump-stop mounts. Mine were shot and I had no luck sourcing them. I think with as much pressure as there is holding them to the axle I should be fine. Let me know if you think I'm making a mistake here.

Then I got some tires back on it:

The beer tastes extra good tonight.

Last edited by ladybugRC; 06-30-2016 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:05 PM

Received 347 Likes on 216 Posts
Nice work, man! Looks great. I'm sure it's a good feeling. I like my OME springs. The springs are pretty stiff so I don't think you'll have any issues bottoming it out if you're not jumping or wheeling it. But I'd suggest you get some bumpstops at some point. Just grab some from the junkyard.

What shocks are you going to run?
Old 06-30-2016, 03:06 PM

Received 347 Likes on 216 Posts
Nevermind, looked at the picture again and saw the shock.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:34 PM

Yeah, I went for the Bilstiens. I may have messed up though- I thought the stock height Bilstiens would work for up to 2" of lift, but those suckers are about five inches too short. I'll have to see if I can exchange them for longer ones.
I also received my replacement gas tank. I will check that it'll work soon as I get over there. I may be able to start it up and take it around the block soon! Or at least to a shop for a good front end alignment after installing those ball joint spacers.
I'm going to have to make a move on a welder, too. I want to patch those holes in the floor above the gas tank before I reinstall the tank...
But I'm finally about ready to start on the body work!
Old 07-02-2016, 09:40 AM

I bought my Hobart auto arc from tractor supply for 300. Works really well on the sheet metal at voltage level 1 and wire feed 25 to 28 with .030 wire
Old 07-02-2016, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by 92ehatch
I bought my Hobart auto arc from tractor supply for 300. Works really well on the sheet metal at voltage level 1 and wire feed 25 to 28 with .030 wire
Yeah, man, thanks. I've been following your progress very closely as I will likely be doing a lot of similar repairs. I read some encouraging reviews of the auto arc. The other one I've been looking at is a Lincoln welder from Lowes. $325 and also has good reviews. I've used quit a bit of Hobart equipment over the years and it seems to generally be good quality.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:50 PM

I do use Lincoln wire in mine. I almost bought the Lincoln welder but decided on the hobart. I think it was because i see hobart on alot of mobile repair trucks and it stuck out in my head.

If you are following mine that closely I'm going to recommend not cutting off the roof gutter completely rather doing it like arlindsay.

Is there rust under the roof line, yes however it would take forever for it to show through. It's three layers of metal. And if it does then you can repair it.

Remember that my repair is more likely to rust through due to the welding. I have used weld through primer and fiber filler, but nothing can stop moisture from getting to the back side of the welds.

I did have a hole in the roof on the passenger side which prompted me to cut into it further but i wish i had just filled it and went on.

Also i previously recommended lap welds but i am finding that butt welding is much easier. The harder part is fabricating the patch panels because you have to be more precise.

Any large gaps im using a 3016 welding rod with the flux knocked off like a tig and its working beautifully

Last edited by 92ehatch; 07-02-2016 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:20 PM

I'm still here.
After weeks of higher priorities I got to spend spend some time with my 4Runner.
It has brakes again. I finished hooking up the new lines, added fresh fluid, learned to bleed the LSPV and there is plenty of firm pedal.
Then I rolled it outside:

I power-washed the underside, sprayed it with degreaser and power-washed it again.
Felt good to get some work done.

Old 07-30-2016, 05:12 PM

Hard to believe that its been over four months since I started the motor on this thing... until today!
In that four months I removed a crap-ton of rust and dirt, painted the frame with POR-15, rebuilt a rear end with new bearings and seals, cranked up the carrier bearing pre-load, installed new leaf springs and shackles, new brake lines to the rear, replaced the fuel tank, cleaned and painted like crazy and finally today I drove it around the block.
And on such a nice day for a drive!

This morning the new fuel tank went in, the drive shaft got cleaned, painted and greased, fresh gear oil in the rear end and it started right up!
It was great taking it for a spin. Really bouncy with no weight on those new springs...

Old 07-31-2016, 06:38 AM

Haven't touched mine either. Been way to hot. 90 degrees and humid makes it hard to work in, plus filler sets way to fast at that temperature and i get no working time.

When you going to start putting those panels on?
Old 07-31-2016, 04:08 PM

Well, that's the big question.
I will take some pictures of the rust I want to fix before installing the quarters. I have been saving up and this weekend I bought a welder. I went for the Lincoln Handy flux core welder. Seems like it should do the job. I will start practicing on some sheet metal and there are a couple little holes I cut out under the rear passenger seat. I figure that is a good place to start learning.
There is a bad spot on the driver's side where the tailgate bolts on, too.
I also need to remove the drivers side quarter as well.
I figure once I get all that addressed I can really focus on installing the quarters.
There is no telling just when that may be.

Quick Reply: Joe's 1987 4Runner