86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Lybriums 92XtraV6

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 11:36 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Oh yea, here is the grindmaster at work

Old 10-09-2017, 03:59 PM

I got some nasty flu last week so i wasn't doing much wrenching. Took the opportunity to do some office work for the yota project: printing and bindering(?) The factory service manuals for both the 92 and 5vz. Check it out

That's a 5 inch binder

And that's one of four...haha!

Old 10-18-2017, 07:32 AM

Look what arrived!!!

It looks pretty clean, however i found a strange surprise while looking it over:

2uz??? Whaa?!

There is no logical explanation for this, is there? Other than error or stupidity? There can't be any way a V8 ecm would work on the 3.4, correct?

Anyway, from there i am now trying to figure out what ecm i really need, and for extra points what year this engine is and what vehicle it came out of, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here's the wiring harness code:

Old 10-18-2017, 02:00 PM

The side project right now is getting 50amp wired into my garage, firstly to have heat in there this winter while I'm pulling my hair out over this resto, and secondly to have sufficient power to even run my tools...right now I'm popping the breaker if i open the garage door while making a cup of coffee. Hah.

This past weekend with help from pops, got the 8/3 run from the main panel in the basement, up and out to the garage

Hard part is done, now just have to install the unit heater and wire everything up. Still waiting on a few parts to come in so tonight I'll be touching up the insulation in the attic space.

I live in northern bc, canada. In case you were wondering why I'm going to all this trouble just to have heat for the project

last night we pulled interior stuff. Looks pretty clean, considering.

But check this hack job out! Someone did a super lazy job of putting a new audio deck in, ocd is going off the charts...

Alrighty. That's all for now folks, see ya soon.

PS! Off-road solutions figured out the wiring harness/ecu issue for me (and promptly as-˟˟˟˟, kudos Mike!) Turns out my heart is from a 1999 4runner m/t 4x4 non-ca, Yahoo!

So if y'all know of anyone with a 99 or 00' ecu from a matching 4runner, lemme at em!
Old 10-25-2017, 08:33 AM

There is heat! And power!

Finally got the 50amp and heater hooked up in the garage, now we're really ready to roll

Onwards and forwards, getting close to taking the engine and tranny out.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:12 AM

Howdy!

Things have not been idle up here, though it may have seemed that way

My father stopped by, along with a friend, and we pulled the beast out.

We ended up having plenty of room in the shop to do it, and everything went relatively smooth, considering how tight of a fit it seemed to be.

Oh yea, in true PNW fashion, it was a blizzard outside all weekend, so we were taking breaks every few hours to go and deal with all the snow. We got about 2.5 feet on saturday alone, not too shabby!

More fun to come folks! Hope y'all are doing well coming into these cold months ahead
Old 12-11-2017, 10:33 AM

Wrenching wrenching wrenching!

Shearing rusty bolts left right and center...but we're getting there.

the goal for now is to be ready to blast and paint come January.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:13 AM

Work work work

Still looking for a donor truck, really hoping to find one soon.

Getting close to tear down completion! It has certainly taken longer than expected but i only have so much time. I should be ready to start prepping the frame for coating within a week, Waahoo! Honestly can't wait to stop destroying, and start building

Pics tonight.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:28 PM

So since the 3.4 showed up with that mystery 2UZ ecu attached to it (?!) i've been on the hunt for a proper ECU. Mike at ORS informed me on what exact one i needed based on my wiring harness code, it had to be from a 99-00 4runner 4x4 M/T Federal emissions, whew...small window. Obviously its been tough to track one down. A/T? dime a dozen, but M/T... the only candidates i found over the last two months on ebay have been 600 dollars plus, yikes. No donor vehicles in my area have popped up either, and I was starting to get a little worried.

Lo' & behold! Found a matching donor from a wrecker in Minnesota. wahoo!
Got him to tear off the Evap box as well and got it all for a reasonable price (thanks Ray)
So that clears up the last remaining question marks on donor parts (i hope) big weight off!

Also! Looks like sandblasting is going to happen, there is a guy in town that has a mobile wet blast rig who quoted it at 275, not bad for hitting the easy button Now i dont want to open up a can of worms here, because I know there is a myriad of contentious opinions out there, but I would like to hear your guys opinion on frame coating products. My rough and dirty checklist would be something like this: DURABLE, affordable (within reason), good for wet, cold, salty climate (North Coast), adhesion to bare metal, simple.

Whats worked for you? for how long? THANKS!

Last edited by Lybrium; 01-12-2018 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:26 AM

Getting down to it now, everything was going far too smoothly, then i ran into a frozen cam bolt on the lower control arm, hammered the hell out of it, no dice. Ideas?

Old 01-17-2018, 08:38 AM

That sawzall came in handy again, hah...

Check this out, the cam bolt end had been pressed down into the bracket, why?

Old 01-22-2018, 10:07 AM

Got the passenger side control arms off, had to cut the lower rear cam bolt again, just as fun as the first time

Lifting the cab this week.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:11 PM

Cab is lifted and ready for blasting!

we've had an insanely snowy last few weeks, so everything is behind schedule. It's been mostly: wake up, shovel snow, go to work, shovel snow, come home for lunch, shovel again, go back to work...you get it.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That’s a lot of work, great job so far. Where abouts are you, I came from the peace country and I still have a parts truck at my son in laws place from when I had my 93.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:11 AM

Thanks!

Im in Terrace, near Prince Rupert.

Last edited by Lybrium; 06-12-2019 at 05:22 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ah, my trucks up in Taylor, just south of FSJ.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:02 PM

Sent the frame off to the sandblaster today, getting it back tomorrow evening and then it's paint time.

I've decided on a set of ppg products to use for the epoxy primer and top coat, definitely top quality stuff, I'm excited to see how it comes out.

Pics of the blasted frame tomorrow
Old 02-23-2018, 07:08 AM

Got the frame back! I'm happy with the blast overall, there are a couple missed spots but not much. I was going to try to get a coat of primer on last night but it was too late to start. So hopefully it can sit until Saturday (tomorrow) without flashing too much, my shop is kept at about 20 Celsius, quite dry.

Here are the 'after' pics

Old 02-27-2018, 07:17 AM

Okay Epoxy is on!

This Amercoat 240 by PPG has a pot life of 40 minutes so you have to be really quick, which is a little tough with a brush, but it went on and I'm happy with it.

Now to do it all over again for the top coat! She's grey right now but the urethane top coat will be black.

Last edited by Lybrium; 06-12-2019 at 05:23 AM.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:34 PM

Top coat on!

Was a bit streaky with the brush so i will have to do a lot of touching up, perhaps a whole nother coat if i have enough paint to do it, blowing through it pretty quick