Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need help finding hoses on Toyota V6 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 10:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Need help finding hoses on Toyota V6 Engine

Hi All,

Doing a Headgasket replacement job and need help in locating some straps/wires/connectors/hoses on my 3VZ-E engine. I am attaching pictures of my engine. I know I'm asking alot but please help a newbie.

(a) Disconnect the strap, wires and connectors:
• Ground strap from LH fender apron
• Generator connector and wire
• Igniter connector
• Oil pressure sender gauge connector
• Ground strap from engine rear side
• ECM connectors
• VSV connectors
• A/C compressor connector
• Starter relay connector
• Solenoid resister connector
w/ ADD:
ADD switch connector

(b) Disconnect these hoses:
PS air hoses from gas filter and air pipe
Brake booster hose
w/ Cruise Control System:
Cruise control vacuum hose
• Charcoal canister hose from canister
VSV vacuum hoses

(c) Disconnect these cables:
Accelerator cable

11. DISCONNECT HEATER HOSES
12. DISCONNECT FUEL INLET AND OUTLET HOSES

I am actually not really mechanically inclined, but my mechanic friend is going to help on the next comming weekend, so I thought I might get a ahead start by removing some hoses and labeling them this weekend. Please help, maybe use ms paint and label them 1, 2, 3 or describe where these are.

Front Left

Front Right

Also, I had another question. I was looking at this pic of a rebuild and notice that the belts are still on and PS Drive belt and doesnt seem to be following FSM instructions. are there any steps that I can skip on FSM or does this come from experience?

Old 10-09-2008, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats my rebuild, and i skipped steps because i was trying to just take the intake off so i could get a magnet down in the cylinders to check and see if i droped something in the motor and i wasnt going to pull the timeing and things off because i was hopeing not to have to pull the whole motor, on the lines if you look at most of thoes vacume hoses on the left of your motor compartment they are already numbered when we pulled my buddies we took masking tape and numbered both sides the hose and where the hose goes it was the 1st time we pulled a motor like this so if your not mechanically inclined then id suggest labeling them one at a time it will take you longer but you wont forget things that way. and there is always quicker ways to do things just got to make sure you know what your doing and dont brake things!! good luck and if you have any specific questions you can ask ill subscribe.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:44 AM
Contributing Member

I used a Brother P-Touch label maker during my swap project, but you could easily do the same with masking tape.

Take a boat load of pictures of your engine bay before you start taking things apart (thank God for digital photgraphy!). Take them up close and wide angle from various points of view. The pics will save your butt during the reassembly!

I labeled both sides of every connection, and kept copious notes of them as I went along. I would label connectors as to what they connected to (i.e. Ingnitor, TPS, AC compressor, ect.) If it was just a junction between things the it would get tags on both sides reading something like E3 or V7 (using E for wiring and V for hoses).

I hope that this helps you out! Good luck!
Old 10-10-2008, 05:16 AM

i also forgot to mention it doesnt hurt to have a diagram of the motor something that you can work off of, another thing we had to do is call a buddy with the same truck from time to time you forget and if you have a hose you cant figure out where it goes look at at the same truck good luck!
Old 10-10-2008, 08:12 AM

I'm in the middle of the same procedure....I printed of the engine diagram from the FSM, and pretty much just started taking things apart. Think of it like a puzzle...like, "the heads must come off, so the intake must come off, and in order to do that the plenum must come off", etc. I was able (on 2 different trucks) to leave most of the stuff on the passenger side of the plenum in tact and just lay the plenum to the side with enough room to do everything else. Most of the vacuum lines and heater hoses and such will only go in one place when you start putting it back together. 90% of the time you can only disconnect a hose from one end, and when you put it back together, the hose is already in the right place. Many times the FSM and ESPECIALLY Haynes/Chilton manuals instruct you to take off twice as much stuff as you need to. With a diagram, you and your friend should be able to figure it out. So relax and and start tearing stuff apart.

One thing I would strongly suggest is having plenty of room to lay everything out on the floor or on a bench as you remove it from the engine. Lay everything out in order of removal, and in an organized manner. The more organized you are with this, the easier it will be to put back together. If you are real meticulous, you can even arrange bolts on the bench the same way they came out, so every bolt goes back in the same hole it came out of. That's not really my personality, but, hey...to each his own. But keeping everything organized that you take off will help you immensely. I do try to put bolts or nuts back in their respected places on a part i've just removed. I'm bad about losing stuff and it helps to keep track of everything. Good luck!