Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

DVD software

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 02:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD software

Hey guys,

Due to a recent reformat I have lost some of my software that I no longer have access to.

One of these was a DVD Player.
I was using PowerDVD and loved the program. Do you guys have any recommendations? $ is a little bit of a concern so I can't be spending too much. Freeware is welcome

Let me know what programs have worked for you guys!
Old 03-05-2005, 02:56 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Peter, I use version 4 of that, but I also have version 5 that I have not installed yet.

These are the free ones that come with VDV burners and video cards.

Power DVD rocks, and I like it better than Nero's Showtime.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:46 PM
Contributing Member

Windows Media Player isnt bad....but you need to dvd code c so download any player just for the code c.....
Old 03-05-2005, 10:35 PM

personally i like windvd better then powerdvd, using version 6 right now, has a lot of cool features (such as still capture, more rare then you think)

windows media player really isn't the greatest dvd player, but it does get the job done
Old 03-06-2005, 06:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by green91runner
personally i like windvd better then powerdvd, using version 6 right now, has a lot of cool features (such as still capture, more rare then you think)

windows media player really isn't the greatest dvd player, but it does get the job done
Yeah I agree with that too, I like WinDVD alot better then PowerDVD....it came preinstalled on my laptop, and it has alot of useful and fun options but its pretty simple too....
Old 03-06-2005, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by CynicX
Yeah I agree with that too, I like WinDVD alot better then PowerDVD....it came preinstalled on my laptop, and it has alot of useful and fun options but its pretty simple too....
yea, the basic pre-installed ones really short-change you, you need to get the full version, way more tweaks.. can drastically improve the audio
Old 03-07-2005, 06:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use Sonic Cineplayer, it only cost me 15 bucks. That was 3 years ago before Windows Media Player could play a DVD. I would just WMP.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:34 PM

I use WinDVD too. It came with my desktop and my IBM laptop
Old 03-10-2005, 05:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by green91runner
yea, the basic pre-installed ones really short-change you, you need to get the full version, way more tweaks.. can drastically improve the audio
hehe well I have it on a laptop with laptop stereo speakers or headphones so I'm getting short changed on the audio regardless....
Old 08-26-2005, 04:11 PM
Contributing Member

I know this is an old thread, but I have a related question. My company just handed out laptops to the field guys (and girls) which include DVD players. The software is InterVideo WinDVD 4. From my VERY limited experience with computer DVD players, the program is OK except for the fact that I have to turn the volume on the software and the computer all the way up in order to barely hear it. The sound on the computer works fine in any other application. Is this a typical problem with this version? Do I just need to upgrade? I'll be using the player alot at work so I'm not above buying some decent software - any ideas.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:47 AM

try switching to just stereo audio from the DVD. might be dafaulting to DD5.1 audio...
Old 09-09-2006, 04:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BTT.

I just pulled a DVD ROM out of my wife PC to put into my kids PC since their CD gave up the ghost. I wanted them to be able to watch DVD's but soon discovered there wasn't anything to play them with installed

I read in this thread that it was possible to get plug ins for Win Media Player, so I went into WMP -> Plug-Ins and was taken to the MS site. I recognized the Intervideo plugin (I have the full version on my laptop - came with it) I like this program, so thought that would be a good plugin. I download it and install.

Best feature is that it comes with a mini DVD player which is what I wanted all along. Set that up for my kids and now one is enjoying a movie. I love it that they are enamored with headphones!

Thanks for this thread!
Old 09-09-2006, 05:30 AM
Contributing Member

For my laptop, I use InterVideo WinDVD.

Quick Reply: DVD software