Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

blocking the annoying ads that slow you down

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blocking the annoying ads that slow you down

I just found out to my delight that with fire fox I can disable javascript and it make all those annoying ads go AWAY and my pages load faster
Old 02-17-2008, 09:53 PM

ok well it dose not work for yahoo or ebay and I have to turn it on for those sites but dose seem to block all the scrolling ads on myspace and here
Old 02-17-2008, 09:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
a couple programs that are excellent to have are

windows clean up! (by steven someone... careful it deletes thousands of files and cleares your favorites)

ewido anti-malware (excellent free program)

peer guardian (in case you download form limewire or something, keep it running and it will block all ads/ and everything in case you download a corrupt file from there)

avg (i have the paid version but the free works too. good anti virus protection)
Old 02-17-2008, 10:14 PM

just installed this one for Mozilla https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722

it is nice it tells you the scripts running and blocks them and you can choose if you want to run them or not.

so far I like it a lot
Old 02-18-2008, 02:55 AM

i assume you linked to adblock. it's essential firefox stuff! i didn't even know yotatech had ads until a while ago when i opened it in safari
Old 02-18-2008, 05:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yota-Tech has ads?
Old 02-18-2008, 05:59 AM
Contributing Member

wow, what do you know, my microsoft explorer version 7 does that to! wow thats so cool that mozilla also does it
Old 02-18-2008, 09:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CyMoN
just installed this one for Mozilla https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722

it is nice it tells you the scripts running and blocks them and you can choose if you want to run them or not.

so far I like it a lot
Thanks for the heads up, seems to work really well.
Some heavily advertised newspapers I read have become a lot faster because of this one.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:51 AM

Mozilla is the only way to surf fo sho... Its more versatile the IE and i like having differnt pages open within the same window and having all of them labeled on the dog ear so you can click between pages.. say like if your loading an image you didnt previously have on you computer.. Love it..
Old 02-18-2008, 10:19 AM
Contributing Member

IDK the IE I run at work has tabs right at the start but the Mozila I run at home does'nt seem to offer me tabs until the page creates a link [like opening a pic file here], then I have a tab. It makes jumping between pages very annoying...
Old 02-18-2008, 10:25 AM

hey it works. no more ads on YT for meeeeee! thanks cymon.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by aviator
IDK the IE I run at work has tabs right at the start but the Mozila I run at home does'nt seem to offer me tabs until the page creates a link [like opening a pic file here], then I have a tab. It makes jumping between pages very annoying...
there's a preference for that. has to do with always displaying the tab bar. and you can always spawn a new tab with ctrl-t or file->new tab, or hold 'ctrl' or 'alt' (i use a mac so i dunno about windows) to open a link in a new tab.

it blows me away how long it took IE to get tabbed browsing - i remember using tabs in whatever browser gnome or KDE came with back in like 1999.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:22 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by yotasavg
hey it works. no more ads on YT for meeeeee! thanks cymon.

Some ads still come through. Blocking scripts is a security issue.

Making this thread about bypassing YT banners is somewhat disrespectful imo. YT is a free service and the banners are a form of revenue for the ownership.
It's along the lines of software piracy, using a service without "paying" for it.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by arjan
Making this thread about bypassing YT banners is somewhat disrespectful imo.
I don't think so but to each his own.

It's along the lines of software piracy, using a service without "paying" for it.
Bah, not even close to the same thing.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:48 PM

Some ads still come through. Blocking scripts is a security issue.

Making this thread about bypassing YT banners is somewhat disrespectful imo. YT is a free service and the banners are a form of revenue for the ownership.
and the original web was used to pass on information freely until money hungry people decided to pollute the internet with ads and slow your band width, with pop ads and script ads I like the fact that I can block these ads.
my web has been working faster since using this program and I love it.

also the owners of this site will still get payed from the the banner ad company's out of all those ads that are on here or other sites I have never seen a member state that they have used the service from a ad here it is by word of mouth here over a blinking ad.

Last edited by CyMoN; 02-20-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:59 PM

and the original web was used to pass on information freely until money hungry people decided to pollute the internet with ads and slow your band width, with pop ads and script ads I like the fact that I can block these ads.
my web has been working faster since using this program and I love it.

also the owners of this site will still get payed from the the banner ad company's out of all those ads that are on here or other sites I have never seen a member state that they have used the service from a ad here it is by word of mouth here over a blinking ad.
big second on that one
Old 03-22-2008, 06:17 PM
Contributing Member

Not true, the adds i have seen on yotatech are click adds, which means that yotatech gets paid each time a user clicks on the add (they do not have to buy the product) so if nobody clicks the add that means no money for yotatech.

judging by your responce I am going to guess you have never had to pay hosting fees for a site as large as yotatech. You may be surprised at the monthly operating cost

Not saying it's wrong to run add blockers (i do) just know that ads do serve as an income stream and i am going to guess that the donations to this site have probably for the most part dried up since the ad's started, so where do you suggest admins get the money ($$$ sometimes $$$$ a month) to keep yotatech running... their own pocket?