Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Avid PC user and builder here to help with your troubles

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 04:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by humanoid
How would I swap HDs out? I really need to keep all the programs I have on my old HD and I need to transfer them to my new HD. I've got Norton Ghost already, is that sufficient enough?
Your new HD (if you bought it retail) should have come with a CD that contains a program that'll do this for you. It takes a little bit of HD swapping, but it works pretty well, assuming your old HD isn't hosed with spyware or virii.

Basically it goes like this:
  1. Put the new HD as slave on the same channel as the old
  2. Boot to the CD to copy the old to the new
  3. Open the case back up, and swap the new in place of the old.
  4. Done.

I would leave the old off (in it's original state) while you make sure the new one will boot. Once you verify that it will, and everything's intact, you can format the old and use it as a secondary drive or just trash it.

If you'd rather use Ghost, you can install the program and use the clone feature while running Windows (assuming the new is installed as slave already). It'll reboot, and clone the old to the new, then you swap it out, and you're good to go. Here's a tutorial with pics: http://www.bay-wolf.com/ghostclone.htm

Oops, I just saw which thread this was posted under. Sorry Sasquatch... didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Last edited by Churnd; 03-08-2006 at 05:03 AM.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, Chris!
Old 03-08-2006, 04:29 PM

Norton Ghost is a sweet tool. I use it all the time.

I loaded all the stuff I want to use as the basics, and then save the image. I can be back online in about 10 minutes. Thats a far cry of having to do it the old school way..[many hours]....LOL
Old 03-08-2006, 04:34 PM
Contributing Member

Hey, do yall know how to revert the computer back like a little while ago to get a file i think i just lost? I have no idea what just happened but I tried to write this word file to a cd and it said do you want to open a cd writable folder. so i said yes and then i went to go get it and it said do you want to revert to the saved version of this file. I said yes, and it wiped it all off-7 pages.

now when i open it after i restarted it keeps asking me the same question and whether i say yes or no i get the same blank page.. I just saved this file in its entirety less than 30 minutes ago.. Am I absolutely screwed on getting it back?
Old 03-08-2006, 04:53 PM

Well, you may be. You can try a system restore, but I feel it's going to be a lost cause. You may have to do it again. Try reverting it back to the latest [closest] restore point when you saved the file.

No guarantees it will work though