GPS & Communication Discussions here pertain to the use and troubleshooting of GPS, CB radio, and amateur radio

CB antennas

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 09:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CB antennas

So everywhere I read up on CB radios, they all say that the antenna is the most critical part of the installation.

I'm thinking of mounting a 2' or 3' firestik (or similar) somewhere on my 84 pickup. No canopy, standard cab. Side mount brackets look to be sturdiest and easiest to seal against water leaks.

Where's the BEST spot to mount the antenna? I'm thinking about the r/r upper corner of the cab, beside the rear window.

I would prefer NOT to drill a hole in the middle of my roof.

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2008, 09:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You seem to have the same porblem that I have with regards to mounting. I'm going to run a 4' Tuneable tip Firestik and place it on a magnetic mount that I'll stick on the top of the truck when I go offroad or on a long trip. This way it's hidden in the cab when I'm not using it, my truck will still fit in the garage and I'm not drilling holes in the body.

Any idea what CB you plan to run? I'm still trying to find one that I can mount without dilling a bunch of holes.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Best place is probably on the roof with a mag mount. I have a 3' firelite and it's required to be mounted 2/3's above the roof line. I have it mounted on my rear swing out bumper. You could always mount it between the hood and fender or in place of the factory radio antenna.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i have a 4'' tall magnet cb antenna mounted to my roof in theory its about the same as a 4ft one mounted to the fender
Old 12-30-2008, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a cheapo $20 3 ft magnetic one on the roof of my 4runner. It works good for how i use it.. The only problem i have had with it is sometimes when you hit a branch and it tips over, usually it returns to where it was though. I think twice it has fallen off the roof. Another thing, is we went wheelign in the snow and it wouldn't stick to the roof after it got icy.

But for what i paid for it, it works fine.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:05 PM

Just get a decent magnet mount wilson antenna. (I think it's wilson) Those things stay put and are good antennas. I'm mounting dual 4' fiberglass antennas on my front bumper. I'm going with duals because most of the time I'll listen to truckers going down the interstate, or I will be within 100 feet or so of the vehicles I need to be in contact with. So hopefully I'll transmit great down the highway, and okay in the trails. I'm not buying this nonsense that the antenntas cancel each other out, then again, I'm no cb radio expert.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:31 PM
Contributing Member

the dual antenna thing is fine, you're not going to transmit any farther 'cause you have two. You should recieve alot better, just make sure your swr is good to go.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:50 PM

Just to clarify, I don't have an issue with drilling holes to mount an antenna. I just don't want a hole in the middle of my roof, if possible.

I might just have to make a hood gap bracket and run a slightly taller antenna to compensate. But if the back corner of the roof will work, I think that will make for the cleanest installation.

The concern with a magnetic mount is knocking it over, and of course, squeeshing the coax wire in the doorjamb or whatever. Permanent mounting with a quick disconnect is preferred.

As for radio, I haven't got one yet. But I'll be shopping with size and price in mind.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:53 PM

I put mine front of the bed directly in the middle of rear window on the rail with 1 to 2 feet sticking out over the roof
Old 12-30-2008, 04:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 86tuning
The concern with a magnetic mount is knocking it over, and of course, squeeshing the coax wire in the doorjamb or whatever. Permanent mounting with a quick disconnect is preferred.
You could run the cable down between the bed and the cab and up thru the drain plugs in the floor or in from the firewall by the driver side, or up thru where the shifters are...
Old 12-30-2008, 10:29 PM

i use a 102" steel whip connected to a hoodgap flang bolted to front driverside fender. (for now) till i get a rollbar in the box. just something to think about, your transmit is on the base of the antenna, recieve is the top. so the higher the better. also, use at least the lenth of your vehical in coax. that acts as an antenna as well. and try not to pinch or kink it. steel is "WAY" better then fiberglass. it wont crack or break, or age breckdown. hence tree lims and such. check SWR. sorry im rambling!!! im into that sort of crap too!!!!
Old 12-30-2008, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
the dual antenna thing is fine, you're not going to transmit any farther 'cause you have two. You should recieve alot better, just make sure your swr is good to go.
if you are planning on running duals co-phased, couple of things you may want to think about (just off the top of my head - forgot a lot of stuff in my old age).

make sure you're using the proper coax if you're going to run duals (co-phased harness, proper resistance).

also, expect to have a more directional transmit pattern if you're going to run cophased. you'll also need to consider if you want to run them side-side or backdoor configuration.

you will also need to have the correct antenna separation between the two antennas, or you will experience some signal degradation, from what i remember on co-phased antennas.

also, swr setting is a bit more complicated (akin to synching carbs on a dual carb bike).

if you want the looks of a big rig, then that's one thing. if you're planning on entering keydowns, then a backdoor setup will be advantageous for you (if allowed).

if not, i might suggest that you save your time, $$$ and some headaches and run a single antenna.

this is, however, just my .02.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by bruzryoda
i use a 102" steel whip connected to a hoodgap flang bolted to front driverside fender. (for now) till i get a rollbar in the box. just something to think about, your transmit is on the base of the antenna, recieve is the top. so the higher the better. also, use at least the lenth of your vehical in coax. that acts as an antenna as well. and try not to pinch or kink it. steel is "WAY" better then fiberglass. it wont crack or break, or age breckdown. hence tree lims and such. check SWR. sorry im rambling!!! im into that sort of crap too!!!!
the one thing that convoys may not like about the 102" whips is that when you go under trees, etc... and you catch the tree, it may "whip" back at the rig behind you.

yeah, you're supposed to keep safe following distances and all, but sometimes stuff happens.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by hmmwv15
Just get a decent magnet mount wilson antenna. (I think it's wilson) Those things stay put and are good antennas.
wilson 1000 or li'l wil will be more than adequate for your needs. excellent antennas, and very durable. stingers are more flexy than fiberglass (although you'd be surprised how flexible a fiberglass stick is like the firestik or skipshooters).

some of the local keydown competitors use them for street use with their rigs (hard to drive around with 102" fighting sticks on the roof). the 1000 can handle a LOT of power, way more than is legally allowed by the FCC.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by 86tuning
I'm thinking of mounting a 2' or 3' firestik (or similar) somewhere on my 84 pickup. No canopy, standard cab. Side mount brackets look to be sturdiest and easiest to seal against water leaks.

Where's the BEST spot to mount the antenna? I'm thinking about the r/r upper corner of the cab, beside the rear window.

I would prefer NOT to drill a hole in the middle of my roof.

Thanks!
okay...

the BEST spot? center of your roof, hard mounted (yeah, i know you don't want to poof your roof, but you asked about "best").

you could mag mount it to the center of your cab roof for best ground plane and omni radiation pattern.

r/r corner mount would lead to a more directional radiation pattern.

second choice (imho) would be on the bed rail, directly behind the cab, centered on the rail (provided the loading coil is above the cab roof).

third choice would be a longer antenna, mounted on the bumper (centered if possible) with the loading coil above the roof line.

no matter where you put it, make sure you ground everything well for lowest possible swr.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:17 PM
Contributing Member

The key to a great install is not the antenna so much as the right amount of coax it should be in 3ft. increments i.e. 3,6,9 and 18ft is optimum.
The antenna is the next most important item in the loop and getting it to get a good SWR so 102" whip is the best option but since are trucks are not the best place for a 102 whip on a dd atunible tip antenna like the Wilson fiberglass with the extra wound ground is an excellent choice.
Ground is also very important as is the placement of the antenna the closer to the center the better giving a full forward and rear wave for output and receiving signals as well as side to side and give a center point for making all sides even or as close as possible.
Next get a good radio CORBRA 29 LTD is great for an all around radio and can be upgraded very easy with all kinds of toys and extra channels also add a noise cancelling mic to the mix through in a external speaker and your good to go.
As for mounting if I had a truck I would mount it on the top rail middle of the bed behind the cab and run a solid ground to the frame and one to the battery ground.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by olharleyman
Next get a good radio CORBRA 29 LTD is great for an all around radio and can be upgraded very easy with all kinds of toys and extra channels also add a noise cancelling mic to the mix through in a external speaker and your good to go.
that's a good radio to start off with. if you want a little more modulation, you can upgrade the mike to an astatic power mike (teardrop is a good one). if you mount it into the dash into one of the DIN openings, an external speaker will be most helpful.

i would also suggest an swr meter. if you're curious about power output, maybe a combo swr/power meter. doesn't have to be a dosy or bird. a cheap, regular radio shack meter will do.

i would suggest against clipping limiters, etc... a competent tech could probably adjust the pots to squeeze a little more power out of it, but that's about it. tune for lowest possible swr, and have fun.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ive always liked the rear bumper mount but you would want longer than 2 or 3 foot for that one
Old 12-31-2008, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by algranger
ive always liked the rear bumper mount but you would want longer than 2 or 3 foot for that one
5' might be the minimum to clear the cab, 7' might be better if you can afford the space.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
After some searching and talking to a few CB folks I went and ordered the Wilson 1000 roof top mount. Comes with 18' of cable and all the mounting hardware. I'll have to drill a hole but after lots of looking I think it'll be the best place to mount one and I won't have to deal with running a cable outside to a magnetic base. I also ordered a Uniden 520 Pro and will install it as well. The fellow at the local CB shop told me he'd peak and tune the CB for 25$ and that I should get a range of about 6 miles. I think that'll be plenty for what I need.

Thanks for all the advice on this stuff folks.

Quick Reply: CB antennas