Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

what kind of amp should i get for my subs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what kind of amp should i get for my subs?

I just received my 2 12in Rockford Subs, they're 150watt rms 400watt max. Theyre going to be in a sealed enclosure and would like to know from all the audio experts out there what wattage amp i should get to sufficiently power both, thanks
Old 07-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FUZION
I just received my 2 12in Rockford Subs, they're 150watt rms 400watt max. Theyre going to be in a sealed enclosure and would like to know from all the audio experts out there what wattage amp i should get to sufficiently power both, thanks
i would go with the 300/2 Amp by JL AUDIO. I have Used jlaudio for quite sometime and i have been happy with it. The only thing is....its gonna cost a good amt of money. Mabye 400?
Old 07-07-2004, 06:11 PM

will a 300/2 be sufficient juice, i know that that is the rms for the woofers, but would a 400/2 be good as well? thanks
edit and is that 300/2rms or max for the amp
Old 07-07-2004, 06:35 PM
Banned

will a 300/2 be sufficient juice, i know that that is the rms for the woofers, but would a 400/2 be good as well? thanks
Go to www.jlaudio.com
I now have 1-12" JL W3. I have a 300 watt amp going to that alone. I dont really like a lot of bass, i just like having a full clear sound. I dont know any good 400/2 amps. It all depends on how loud you want your bass to be

You could also try ebay. They have some good stuff sometimes.

Last edited by Localmotion; 07-07-2004 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:45 PM

I second the choice on JL Audio. I'm a big fan of their stuff after running quite a few other setups. JL Audio underrates their amps. So it is most likely near 350/2. And that is RMS not the max. As far as the price.... $400 is too much for a 300/2. Check Ebay. I just found one NIB for $289 buy it now.

One word of wisdom. It's better to overpower your subs than to underpower them. Underpowering is what causes subs to blow.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by OneTrickToy

One word of wisdom. It's better to overpower your subs than to underpower them. Underpowering is what causes subs to blow.
thanks i had no idea
Old 07-08-2004, 08:16 AM

thanks i had no idea

Keep in mind this doesn't mean you can send tons of power to your subs. What happens is most amplifiers are overrated, even on their RMS. So when you have what you think is a matched set, you are actually sending the amplifier less clean power. That dirty power is what will blow the subs. Generally by overpowering you are still in the clean power range at the subs handling power. So as long as you don't crank up the amp and "try" to blow your subs, they will last longer and sound cleaner.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:18 PM

I also agree with JL Audio amps, why? I have one running my sub. But my choice would be the 500/1 Mono block amp built for running sub(s). I don't know your setup, but the optional remote bass control is a nice option to make those 2 subs stealthy when your parking your truck in not so great area's. JL does underate there amps, they are great for the power they produce cleanly, and best of all run very cool. I have mine sitting in the space for the jack and it has no problem running at all.

Old 07-08-2004, 07:41 PM

what is the impedence on your subs 4ohm 8ohm 12ohm???? you could get a smaller amp that would run the two subs at say 2ohm mono and do it that way. the jl amps are good but a little pricey. i use cadene equipment in all my vehicles but i dont know if its available in your area. i sold cadence for some time and never had any problems...
Old 07-09-2004, 06:31 AM
Contributing Member

I say go with Pyramid or Rockwood (and no Rockwood is not a type-O)!
Old 07-09-2004, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by splitz
I say go with Pyramid or Rockwood (and no Rockwood is not a type-O)!

I used a Pyramid Reno series 240w amp when I first got subs. What a joke! I still have the amp sitting in a box somewhere. I've given away and sold amps and subs, but that's one amp that I wouldn't ever give to someone. It's that horrible!
Old 07-09-2004, 05:28 PM
Contributing Member

I installed two of those subs into my brothers Ford F250 pickup using an MA Audio 400-watt amp that we picked up off of Ebay for $66 after shipping. It has a full warranty. We wired the subs in parallel to drop their impedance to 4 ohms. I must say that this rattles my teeth and the amp is running great.

He is another one from the same dealer at that price: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...709073007&rd=1 I put one in his truck and I put another in mine. They are wonderful.

If you think you need some more power then try their 800-watt mono amp for just $25 more. Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...709072559&rd=1

They are refurbed, but have a 2-year warranty.

I think this is by far the best bang for the buck.

Last edited by DavidA; 07-09-2004 at 05:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-09-2004, 09:06 PM

clarion deck Im definitely going the ebay way for my amp. I was looking at the Profile amps that are chrome and gold, anyone have any input on these.
just purchased my new deck too

Last edited by FUZION; 07-09-2004 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
...Underpowering is what causes subs to blow.
Wrong.

The ONLY way to blow a sub is to induce mechanical failure of the suspension or to induce thermal failure of its coil.

You can NOT induce thermal failure of a coil by under powering it. FACT.

ps - this is not a flame, however this is an old wives tale I have heard over and over in this sport and quite literally is a pet peeve of mine.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:58 PM

Keep in mind this doesn't mean you can send tons of power to your subs. What happens is most amplifiers are overrated, even on their RMS. So when you have what you think is a matched set, you are actually sending the amplifier less clean power. That dirty power is what will blow the subs. Generally by overpowering you are still in the clean power range at the subs handling power. So as long as you don't crank up the amp and "try" to blow your subs, they will last longer and sound cleaner.
All this talk of 'clean' and 'dirty' power is VERY misleading. The power itself is merely power.

What IS important is the wave form of that power. Less power doesnt kill anything. But in you scenario, someone clipping the dog snot out of their amp is basically sending a square waved signal to the sub. Since we know power is the area under the curve of the signal a clipped signal will carry far more power than a non clipped signal.

So in the end it is too much power that blows the sub, not to little.

Remeber that while an amp's RMS value may only be 300watts, if fully clipped, it can generate WELL over 700 watts through the clipped waveform...

Again it is too much power that will kill your subs, not too little.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:00 PM

clarion deck Im definitely going the ebay way for my amp. I was looking at the Profile amps that are chrome and gold, anyone have any input on these.
just purchased my new deck too

Id avoid those amps like the bubonic plague myself....

Im currently running Zapco and RF gear in the amplification department.

Right now, the best bang for the buck (and the most bullet proof) is the mtx 81000d / 1501d. Used they can be found for 250 + shipping and are quite underrated.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:00 PM

Thanks, next week my yota will be bummpin. what do you think is a reasonable price to pay for installation of the deck,subs,and amp, or should i install the deck myself?
Old 07-14-2004, 02:12 PM
Contributing Member

If you take your time planning it out then you can do it. The deck is pretty easy to do, the radio sleeve should slide right in and you can lock it with the metal tabs.

I strongly recommend that you get the wiring harness that you can solder onto the radio that will let you plug directly into the factory harness. Will let you reinstall the factory radio later if you decide to sell it.

Get amp wiring kit for the amp. Run the power cable to battery, etc. Mount the amp if a good location for cooling and security.

I like doing it myself, but depends on how much your local installer charges. Good Luck.
Old 07-18-2004, 06:54 AM

Do it yourself!!! Do NOT trust any shop with your baby!!

Also, dont use the GM slide in mounting system - I mean no offense, but that system is so rediculously half assed...Theives will have your radio in under 2 seconds flat.

Take your time, and use the conventional ISO din mounting system that secured the OEM radio. You deck will skip 1000x less that way.

But as was said above get a custom wiring kit for your radio. It will have a plug that plugs into the OEM radio plug and it's wires are to be soldered and crimped onto the new radio's harness. This way your stock wiring remains 100% intact.

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 07-18-2004 at 06:57 AM.
Old 07-18-2004, 01:40 PM

THANKS im just waiting for my headunit and amp to get here on thursday, where should i run the wires for the amp through to the headunit, under the carpet??

Quick Reply: what kind of amp should i get for my subs?