Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Radio buttons not working 2002 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 06:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radio buttons not working 2002 4Runner

Hello,
I am a noob to Toyota ownership and a first time poster on this forum. My wife and I just purchased a 2002 4Runner. Everything appears to be in excellent working order except for the radio. We honestly missed this when we looked at the car, but once we bought it and had it we noticed this. None of the buttons on the radio seem to do anything at all?? Nothing happens when I push them. None. If I push the AM button nothing happens. None of the preset channel selectors appear to do anything, and I cannot even turn it off by depressing the volume control. I can turn it up or down, and turn the knob on the right that will search stations. That is it.. The scan stations button does nothing.

Is this a common or known issue? Could it be a sign of something more serious? Just want to be sure I didn't miss something more major as I just purchased this vehicle, and could return in the next couple of days if needed. Thanks for any and all info or advice!
Old 01-04-2012, 07:37 AM

sounds like you just have a defective radio. I would see if the place you purchased it is willing to help with the cost of a new replacement unit. Get something newer with a usb and or aux port on it, bluetooth, sat radio etc. Even if they are not willing to help out with the cost, it would be a better setup to go aftermarket in my opinion.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:46 AM

Thanks for the feedback. That is kind of what I was thinking as well. They told me to bring it in, and they would remove the stereo and send it in for repair.. but I bought it at a Ford dealership and don't know if they are really familiar with Toyota vehicles. I'd rather not get it back with the dash panel all loose and rattling because they don't care enough to take the time and do it right. I'll just purchase a newer aftermarket and use one of the helpful write ups from this form and do it right- myself!