Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Neelp help with stereo installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neelp help with stereo installation

Hi guys, I have a 97 4runner and I just tried to install my whole stereo system. I installed a Rockford fosgate 4 channel 301x 900watt amp, a alpine deck, and a alpine sub , and four stock speakers . Everything worked except my speakers. I tried to install my stock 4runner speakers straight to my amp but it didnt work.
I dont know if i wired it work or the speakers just dont work with that amp.
Only thing that worked was the tweeters.

this is how i set up my speakers to my amp.

car speak wire = amp

(R) front and rear speak (-) = (R) front (-)
(R) front and rear speak (+) = (R) front (+)

(L) front and reak speak (-) = (L) front (-)
(L) front and rear speak (+) = (L) front (+)

any help will be great
Old 07-24-2005, 08:06 PM

Are these STOCK speakers blown? or did i not wire it up right? any help will be very much apprecitive

This is what i need help getting installed.

Amp has
- Right Front speakers (+) and (-) 2 slots open
- Left Front speakers (+) and (-) 2 slots open
I have a total of 4 slots open for my amp.

- using 2 wires with a postive and negative wire on them each .
I have a total of 4 slots open for my amp.

Car has
Right front speaker (+) and (-)
Left front speaker (+) and (-)
Rear right speaker (+) and (-)
Rear left speaker (+) and (-)
I have a total of 8 wires for my car speakers

RCA cables are hooked up to the alpine SUB-W outlet
Old 07-24-2005, 08:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
umm did you run RCA's to the amp? don't run line levels to the amp RCAS make an incredible diffrence in sound quality

youll need two sets of RCA's to hook up two sets of speakers and its much easier to hook up.

speakers work even if you blow the crap out of the speaker and the voice coil so its probably not them if they arent making any funky noises.

the reason why your not getting any sound out of your speakers is because the amp isnt hooked up to the headunit. you need to run the RCA's like you did for the sub
Old 07-24-2005, 09:05 PM

do you have the speaker + and - hooked up to the speakers as well as the amp (agree with the RCA suggestion too btw...) but if you have those hooked up from the headunit, as well as the amp speaker wire, take off the headunit speaker wires, and tape off the ends... you dont want to use those.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:30 PM

I wired the wires from the amp straight to the speaker wires. I am not powering my speaker to the Headunit.

The gray box that was screwed in behind the headunit is the factory amp? if so i bypassed that, then wired the wires from the amp to speaker wires from the car.

As far as the rca cable it is a rockford fosgate cable which starts as a 2 set wire which is plugged into the amp then becomes a one set. I plugged the one set side into the head unit (sub-w).

How is my amp not wired up to the headUNIT?

Am i soppose to wire up my amp wires to the speaker wire to the headunit wires??

SO confused... IF you can help me out it will be very much apprecitive

Last edited by vltnolia@yahoo.com; 07-24-2005 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:13 AM

Wow! You've confused me.

But it seems that your speakers never worked because you have'nt ran "input" wires/cables from the radio to the amp so that the amp would be able to send a powered "signal" out to the speakers.

Radio to AMP to speakers (that's RCA's from the radio to the AMP, then speaker wires from the AMP to the speakers).

So grab ya some more wire or grab some RCA cables and get busy.

Last edited by 94x4; 07-25-2005 at 12:20 AM.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:34 AM
Contributing Member

RCA's for the 1st timer....Much easier than figuring out positive and negative all the way back to the amp. Get ya some Monster Cable RCA's since you are using higher end products and get you an already made amp wiring kit. Some include RCA's....but I would recommend getting 4-8 Guage positive and negative wire. Make sure you run your remote turn on lead to the back of the radio where the power antenna wire comes out of the radio...but some alpines offer a remote turn on lead instead. RCA's go to the input side...and your speaker wires go to the output side. Now if you really wanna dig into things...if the amp is bridgeable then you could bridge it and run your sub wires in parallel if they are a dual voice coil...so with that being said go buy you some RCA's and some good speaker wire from Circuit City or whatever audio store is around you...and start wiring. remember...hook up the RCA's that match the headunit and amp : right & left front to right and left front.....so on and so forth. Once you get sound...and if you want to bump things up a notch...come back and we can talk about bridging and other goodies...
Old 07-25-2005, 07:27 AM

K i checked my cables at one end and They are plugged into the rear inputs (+) (-) and the front inputs (+) (-) of the amp , at the other end they are plugged into my head unit (SUB-W) outlet. Still doesnt work. only my tweeters worker but nuttin else

Last edited by vltnolia@yahoo.com; 07-25-2005 at 08:03 AM.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:36 AM
Contributing Member

Good deal
Old 07-25-2005, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by callmej75
Good deal
K i checked my cables at one end and They are plugged into the rear inputs (+) (-) and the front inputs (+) (-) of the amp , at the other end they are plugged into my head unit (SUB-W) outlet. Still doesnt work. only my tweeters worker but nuttin else
Old 07-25-2005, 08:12 AM
Contributing Member

How many channels are your amp? Sounds like a 4 channel...
*NM* its in your original post...

Last edited by callmej75; 07-25-2005 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:13 AM

yes it is a 4 channel.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:17 AM
Contributing Member

Ok heres what you do....since its a 4 channel you have these options....buy another mono amp to run the sub or run just your front speakers on the inputs labeled "front" and run your sub off of the rear inputs.....with just 4 channels each speaker represents a channel. Check your amp and see if its able to run 2 channels stereo and 1 channel mono. You might be able to wire up the the front inputs with all 4 factory speakers and run the rear inputs to your sub. make sense?
Old 07-25-2005, 08:19 AM

yes it does sir. I will do what you told me and i will keep you updated. I will have yo go to work soon, so i will let you know in 6 hours.

Thank you

Last edited by vltnolia@yahoo.com; 07-25-2005 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:23 AM
Contributing Member

Gimme the amp model number and I will look it up...
Old 07-25-2005, 08:37 AM

301x rockford fosgate
Old 07-25-2005, 08:47 AM
Contributing Member

Ok its a 2-3-4 channel amp. you can run the subs off of the rear output and get 150x2 and run the front speakers off of the front input. Make sure you bridge the subs to get the 150 watts. Look at the amp where the wiring goes to where your speakers go...there should be a diagram where to put the wires for bridging. You are going to have to run it in 3 channel mode. Otherwise you are going to get 40 x 4 4 ohms or 75 x 4 2 ohms. in order to get 2 ohms...i believe you have to wire the speakers up parallel. Is there a manual with this amp by any chance? Or...you could just get a pair of RCA's and just hook it into the subwoofer jacks coming out of the head unit and just run the subs off of that amp and just run the factory speakers off of the head unit itself. With 150 watts it isn't gonna thump too loud...so it might be a good thing just to run it that way.

Last edited by callmej75; 07-25-2005 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:20 AM

callmej75...,

Since it is a 4 channel amp, he should be able to easily wire the 4 existing speakers into it and then RCA a second amp for the sub with the "sub-out" jack on the back of the 4 channel amp, right ?

That way, the second amp is getting the speaker signal from the first amp via the RCA cable and he'll only need to run a speaker wire fom the second amp to the sub to get his sound.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

I've heard of peope running amps like that but to only double up on power...he will have to run a separate power wire and ground for the second amp because the RCA's alone don't give it the power.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:32 AM

Maybe your crossovers are set on HP?
Make sure your front and rear crossovers are set to AP (all pass mode).
Also, your sub won't work with a 4 channel amp, unless you ditch either the front, the rear, or both the front and rear speakers.
If your HU doesn't have sub output, use your amp's pass thru and get another amp for your sub.

Quick Reply: Neelp help with stereo installation