Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

JL Audio 10 or 12

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 03:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 89macrunner
now that i think about it you are correct bumpin...buttt my 12's defintiely hit the deep bass MUCH better than my 10 did..but maybe thats because its 5 times the power and in a ported box..haha
In the right box I bet they'll sound tighter than the 10s did...

Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson
I...but remember that a ported box won't go as low as sealed, and if thump is what you want, go sealed.
Incorrect sir! A low tuned ported box using a transducer of sufficient EBP ~50-60 (and there are LOTS) will actually play just as low as a sealed box but with MORE output all the way down to about 8hz (pending driver) below tuning. Considering that most ported boxes are tuned to about 30hz, this means a ported will have significantly more output all the way down to 20hz. And honestly there is no music save bass cd's/cannons (1812 overture)/and pipe organs that can play that low. And to prove this point, when I get home from the shop, Ill be taking a few screen shots.

Here ya go just take a looksie at the graphs: the left side has response and the frequencies are on the bottom starting at 10 hz and progressing to 500hz. Notice that that the sealed is actually quieter at all frequencies. Sub of choice here is an IDQ12 Also of note is that if you change the sealed box to 1.0 cf like ID suggests, the gap is even larger. hehe

Also, they tend to make noise from the air moving across the port and thats no bueno, either...
Only if you use a box designed by someone who has less than a clue hehe... I have built literally hundereds of ported boxes for drivers all the way down to 8s and all the way up to 18s and with power applications from 100 watts up to 16kW rms; most for sound quality and some for SPL - NONE had port noise of any kind.

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 04-13-2006 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I defer to your greatness, oh Bumpin' Yota!! Next time I'm keeping my yapper shut!

For the average DIY, not a pro like yourself, its difficult to build a ported box to exacting demands that many subs require. What I was suggesting was the JL designed boxes. As the OP said, he isn't building his own. My personal favorite was 2 12W6's in a ported box tuned to geez, i gotta remember this... i wanna say 32hz running off of the old Alpine MRV1502 or 1503... launched the taillights outta the car in the demolition comp at Carlisle

As for me, I've built comp-winning ported boxes before. It isn't easy compared to a good sealed, but then again... In most cases, however, it always was that you can acheive more thump (SPL) with less power with a good ported box. But for my money, I prefer the solid thump of my sealed boxes.

Depends, also on what series of CV's, too. Last one I had before I became a JL fanboy was the old crap they used to fling at Best Buy (I was 16, cut me some slack ) and it was sloppy and boomy in a ported QLogic box. Amazing, though I still have that turd in my basement!!

Last edited by Turd Ferguson; 04-13-2006 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson
I defer to your greatness, oh Bumpin' Yota!! Next time I'm keeping my yapper shut!

For the average DIY, not a pro like yourself, its difficult to build a ported box to exacting demands that many subs require. What I was suggesting was the JL designed boxes. As the OP said, he isn't building his own. My personal favorite was 2 12W6's in a ported box tuned to geez, i gotta remember this... i wanna say 32hz running off of the old Alpine MRV1502 or 1503... launched the taillights outta the car in the demolition comp at Carlisle

As for me, I've built comp-winning ported boxes before. It isn't easy compared to a good sealed, but then again... In most cases, however, it always was that you can acheive more thump (SPL) with less power with a good ported box. But for my money, I prefer the solid thump of my sealed boxes.

Depends, also on what series of CV's, too. Last one I had before I became a JL fanboy was the old crap they used to fling at Best Buy (I was 16, cut me some slack ) and it was sloppy and boomy in a ported QLogic box. Amazing, though I still have that turd in my basement!!
Ah the old Vega Vega's! hehe The CV stroker is a great sub even though it is just shy of 2 decades old! hehe And everyone should always speak, up we are all here to learn!
Old 04-13-2006, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
Ah the old Vega Vega's! hehe The CV stroker is a great sub even though it is just shy of 2 decades old! hehe And everyone should always speak, up we are all here to learn!

Remember when the Stroker came out- they plugged it into a wall outlet at CES and let it rumble a 60hz note all day long...
Old 04-17-2006, 01:05 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. Looks like for now I'm just gonna stick with my w1v2 sealed box. I might try to build a ported box for it, who knows. Maybe I can find a deal on a w3 down the road and worry about it then. Thanks though.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:03 AM
Contributing Member

I have my JL 13w6 in a JL box.
Used for about a year.
It is in excellent shape. Black carpet with a JL grill

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f180/jl-audio-13w6-jl-box-83967/