Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

2003 4 Runner Limited with DICE iPod Integration

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 4 Runner Limited with DICE iPod Integration

Hi All,
I have been searching for the past several days on a clean way to integrate an iPod Nano with the factory head unit (HU). The purpose and requirements for this integration was mostly around safety and ease-of-use for the iPod. The iPod will get used more if we don't have to take our eye off the road to navigate through the Songs, Artists, Playlist, etc. Requirements were easy:

1: Work with the steering wheel control
2: Use the CD-TEXT feature to display info about the current track on the HU

I decided to use the DICE mostly because it was one of only two units I found that supported CD-TEXT for the iPOD.

I used Mr. Castulucci's awesome tutorial for getting access to the back of the HU. Link to that site is: http://www.castulucci.com/projects/carpc/oemnaviaccess/.

I want to say thanks to Mr. Castulucci because that tutorial was spot-on, and it was EXACTLY what I did to get to the back of the factory HU.

I used a mounting bracket from Bracketron (TOY-202-03) to supply a place to mount the DICE iPOD dock. I mounted the DICE module in the cubby/shelf in the glove box. I had to cut a hole in the back of the cubby to allow for the cables to get in.

I would have no problems writing up a tech tutorial similar to the DICE/FJ, but I am not sure it is needed to be honest. The only major difference was that I removed the negative battery lead prior to starting the work. All the talk about airbag deployment on other forums scared me.

I did panic slightly once I re-applied power to the battery the 'Auto' for the rear window, driver window, and sunroof all were not working. I solved this by rolling each window up/down three times. Sunroof twice. I am not sure what that was all about, I am sure someone on here can explain it. I imagine it's just a matter of the computer catching up.

Attached is a pic of the finished product, pre dusting of the car. I also noticed I snapped them before I put the flip-out door back on.

The screws are silver, they are being switched to black, my wife is talking about actually wrapping the mounting gear with some sort of fabric/leather to hide the screws/and mounting plate.

Anyway, the DICE is performing as expected with some slight weirdness. I am certain it is a matter of learning which 'mode' we have the DICE in though. It supports several options for the steering wheel control, and I get them confused. Once I get some playlists loaded on the iPOD it will be much easier.
Attached Thumbnails 2003 4 Runner Limited with DICE iPod Integration-1.jpg   2003 4 Runner Limited with DICE iPod Integration-2.jpg  

Last edited by jfeger; 01-07-2007 at 07:27 PM.