Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

1995 4runner audio

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 4runner audio

Hey everyone! Ive just got my new rig and im looking to put all new speakers into it, as well as dual 12" subs, could anybody possibly be able to tell me where all of the speakers are located? Thanks!
Ps. Sorry I'm a bit of a newbie
Old 02-12-2013, 05:02 PM

front speakers are silly 4.25" that are in the far left and far right of the lower dash, pointing down...

dont utilize that space. actually, dont even bother with them. just leave them alone.

instead, if you are going custom, go with speaker pods on the kick panels on either side so the speakers, if you can draw a line going from them, would intersect where the dome light is...

another option is door mounts. you can make cheap wooden baffles to mount as low and as forward on the door panels as possible. you would need to trim some metal on the doors also. mount as big as you could (and afford) woofers there. then mount the tweeters also on the doors, but as close as possible to the woofer.

now, i forget the year in the 2nd gens when toyota also added another set of speaker on the rear cargo area where the light switch is back there.

before, the rear speakers were mounted on the big rear quarter panels behind the rear seats. they were also in a custom enclosure. i forget the size but it's a weird size.

again, forget any speakers behind the FRONT SEATS. why?

to me, in car audio world, STEREO is still king.

i just came back from CES in vegas last month. saw and sat through a few cars. while the sources have changed over the decades (from cassette, to Cd to DVD... and now iPods, and other solid state MP3 players), the setups has been stereo.

if you search for my username here (and other forums) i give the following advice:

1. buy the biggest and baddest front speakers you can afford and fit. 6.5" components are my fav.
2. buy the biggest and baddest subwoofer you can afford and fit... usually in the back/trunk/rear cargo area.
3. buy the biggest and baddest 3 (or 4) channel amplifier to power the fronts and the sub.

look as the driver, you want the best audio FOR YOU...

if you have passengers and are talking, you dont wannt drown them out with the audio ANYWAYS... right?

so unless you make a living driving people around, now you understand why i say STEREO is king.

for the record, i dont have any high end video setup or anything on my vehicles. this is what i have on two cars.

1995 era sony (dead) head unit.
1995 era sony 10 cd changer (which barely gets used anymore these days)
1995 era sony digital processor (for me this is the key. time alignment (!!!!) and EQ are done by this.

the 4runner has a 1995 era MB quart 6.5 separates. the subwoofer has changed over time. ditto the amplifers.

the subaru has newer coaxials (long story) and 9 year old polk subwoofer in a polk made enclosure.

my sources these days are sirius/xm and my android phone.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:34 AM

Has anyone installed tweeters up front? Looking for some ideas.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dylan86
Has anyone installed tweeters up front? Looking for some ideas.
up front where?

back in the mid 90s, i experiment with center channel setup with a couple of infinity tweeters (boy i missed those suckers... it was stolen along with a prior setup...)

i tried them in the outer vents. even using the vent panels to direct them sucked. then i tried them in the center vents. those were better.

i finally surface mounted them down low in front of the shifter. they sounded the best.

remember, this was before active processing. just used the center mono wiring method. the crossovers for the tweeters has -5db, 0 and +5db wiring posts and i used the -5db one and that seemed to integrate with the then OEM front speakers.

these days i just have door mounted MB quart separates from 1995 and using active digital processing with time alignment makes me feel like the vocal is coming from dead center and if our 4runners had a hood ornament, that is were the singer is... (using jennifer warnes "like a bird" track).
Old 10-22-2013, 07:10 PM

I opted for custom kick panels with the tweeters aimed up.