Texas Texas Chapter

Off-Road training school

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 09:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Off-Road training school

Hey, I have done a little off-roading in Colorado and New Mexico. But have never experienced some of the mudding and extreme climbing that you guys and gals experienced this last weekend.

How about some of you more experienced people put on a little training session for us noobs some weekend?

We could do 360 again and we could learn from you.

Just a thought.

David
Old 05-10-2004, 10:00 AM
Contributing Member

That is a good idea...I need some more myself
Old 05-10-2004, 10:07 AM
Banned

I need some training too, but 360 seemed full of just mud bogs and tree hugging ... is there no where else nearby that might not have as much deep mud? Some of us still have street tires ... !
Old 05-10-2004, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by 4route
I need some training too, but 360 seemed full of just mud bogs and tree hugging ... is there no where else nearby that might not have as much deep mud? Some of us still have street tires ... !
Then go to Barnwell in Jun with us. See the other thread on it. I swear that place is perfect for learning, some very wide open easy trails, NO MUD, you better show up.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:26 AM
Banned

No thanks, I don't want to turn that into a "soap opera" too. Sorry for what seemed like drama to everyone, but you weren't there and you have no idea how awful it was to be the one that kept getting stuck, and having people roll their eyes at you. That would make anyone feel self-conscious on their first time out.

But I do hope you guys have an awesome time, just be sure you have lots of recovery equipment in case anyone splits off.
Old 05-10-2004, 02:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4route
No thanks, I don't want to turn that into a "soap opera" too. Sorry for what seemed like drama to everyone, but you weren't there and you have no idea how awful it was to be the one that kept getting stuck, and having people roll their eyes at you. That would make anyone feel self-conscious on their first time out.

But I do hope you guys have an awesome time, just be sure you have lots of recovery equipment in case anyone splits off.
4Route...if my wife comes I think it would be a hoot to have another woman there driving her 4Runner. Maybe my wife would get more excited about participating. Show her girls can get rowdy with trucks also! LOL!!!
Old 05-10-2004, 02:47 PM
Banned

Show her the pictures of me stuck in the mud and tippy! Or the one where I'm smiling and shrugging like "oopps! oh well, whatcha gonna do?"

I may or may not be able to come, I'll have to wait until it gets closer to that time. How far is the place from us in the dallas/fort worth area?
Old 05-10-2004, 05:04 PM
Contributing Member

That would be great if someone can teach us some offroad skill. I would love to do that with you guys!!!
Old 06-21-2004, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

back to this thread. I think the best way to learn is to get out and do it, get stuck, get into hairy situations, etc. you don't learn much until YOU experience the limits of your own vehicles and how it reacts to certain situations. hands-on training. No "course" or lecture or even just riding along with somebody experienced is going to learn you much good. The one thing I would say though is make sure you have the tires for the terrain if nothing else. it's not very enjoyable getting stuck in every mud hole with open diff's, I know, I've done it. But I guess my suggestion would be is to bring your vehicles out and try to have an experienced wheeler both in front and in back of you, never lead when you start out, lead when you know what your rig can do. WildBill did a good job leading the pack down Binders Blvd at Barnwell as I brought up the rear, everybody did really well on that relatively hairy trail.

Last edited by keisur; 06-21-2004 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Mark
I heartily second Keisur. Repetition, common sense, and judgment. You've got to get out and do it. Every trail is going to be different. I'm not talking about mud bogs either. If you're not comfortable with a trail, don't do it. I've started up several high mountain trails only to discover my rig could not do it, or it was not safe, etc., and I backed down (which can be more dangerous). Always think of what your alternative is going to be. I wheel with one vehicle a lot and must approach things with getting home in mind.
exaclty, I one-vehicle wheel all the time. I usually try to walk the climb completely before I do it to make sure I think I can. there were a couple at Barnwell we walked and said "no way!" to. The last one I did "Nose Dive" was a biotch at the bottom then was loose rocks the rest of the way up. I walked that one before I even started it. it was a fun one.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:17 PM
Banned

i wanna go!
Old 06-21-2004, 01:17 PM
Contributing Member

Most of my trail experience was gained in the high mountains in CO with just my wife and I. Yes, I know that method is not recommended but sometimes you have to if you want to go.
I know. I've been lectured by a few westerners for doing that. thing is, I go by the seat of my pants without any warning. I may be on my way home from work and get the itch and head over to the trails, nobody around here really has my seat of the pants type schedule so they usually can't make it. so I got it alone. haha. but it's in my back yard so we're safe.

Sometimes they're easier to drive than walk . . . .
haha I think me and boblarge said the same thing when we walked Nose Dive to check out. I slipped and fell on my keester a couple times that day.

Last edited by keisur; 06-21-2004 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:28 PM
Contributing Member

Yes, I'm up for another run at Barnwell but I gotta see what the outcome of this weeks 3 interviews as to whether I'll be staying in Houston or moving to South Carolina. Assuming I get offers that is.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:45 PM
Contributing Member

yep, I can believe it. I passed a bunch of cops on the way up and down to Barnwell doing well over the speed limit and not one of them jumped onto 59 to give me a citation. kind of surprising. I won't be that bold next time though.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

that's when you develope a lisp and talk like a homosexual and sneeze really wet on the drivers license before handing it to him. 7 out of 10 times the cop will say, "uh, just slow it down." haha!
Old 06-21-2004, 02:02 PM

Gosh I just noticed that I am making alot of posts on this forum. If I have worn out my welcome just let me know. I do have some good news though.

For all you DFW metro folks:
Not sure if you may know about this place, but there is Marshall Creek. It's an actuall city owned 4x4 park. It's located in Roanoke/Trophy Club. This is a place where you can get a pretty basic feel for your rig. It's recommended for beginners. If you want mud this place has it. Like I said it's city owned so there is a small fee at the gate ($5), but it's for the day. No camping, but since you will be close to home or civilization you won't need to. Here if you get stuck there are people around you to help you with the recovery.

Here are some pics to help give you an idea what to expect. Keep in mind that at the time they were taken I was still open diff. So you guys with the same setup will be ok.
http://community.webshots.com/album/139742263EpAUnc
Old 06-21-2004, 02:22 PM

Well if my parts don't come in this weekend I'll probably settle for hitting this place up. It's not a bad place I just usually let the wife take the wheel and pray. hahaha
Old 06-21-2004, 02:32 PM
Contributing Member

hehe, my wife is from Panama in central america. she may be a good a wheeler as I have seen, she grew up driving the trails down there.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:19 PM

Hey there again folks. The TX Zu's are getting together for a wrenching party this week. If you want to come join us or if you have some work you need to get done come on over. Send me a pm or email me for contact numbers and directions. Also afterwards we are planning a wheeling trip back to Gilmer, TX. So if you Toyota guys didn't get enough of that place or never made it out there you are certainly invited.

There are some local t-storms in the area so be ready for your lesson in mud. You folks with open diffs don't be scared. You'll do fine out there and what better way to learn about self or team recovery.

Hope you can make it.

txsoulfly@comcast.net

Mando
Old 06-22-2004, 01:50 PM
Contributing Member

got a date on the Barnwell run Mando? I won't make the WOT but I'll try to make a Barnwell trip unless something, like a job, comes up.

Quick Reply: Off-Road training school