The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Tube bumper in AutoCAD

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 04:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tube bumper in AutoCAD

I've got a smitty roll bar i've been thinking about cutting up and building a bumper out of, been playing with CAD for years but never tried my hand at 3D so I thought i'd give it a shot based on what I have in mind and the material I have available.

I'll need to fab up the center section and buy a fairlead and lights but I like where it's going. I have enough to build a rear bumper too so i'm going to try drawing that one next.

I'm building this for my '88 pickup... what you think??? Pics aren't the best but you get the idea.

Last edited by Nailit69; 12-26-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:47 AM

Just uh... sittin here... waitin... for the orders to start pourin in...

Is it just so bada$$ that everyone is speechless or is it just that bad?

Rate it... love it, hate it, just rate it.

How about some input from some of the more experienced bumper builders... do's, dont's, etc..

First draft and more to practice my 3D skills than to be a bumper designer. I draw house plans and everyone wants 3D so I started w/something simple.

Last edited by Nailit69; 12-27-2012 at 04:48 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:54 AM

I like it man, only thing that is bugging me is something about the lights, maybe the position of them or something, maybe some big lights in the middle over the winch instead of the big gap with them so close
Old 12-29-2012, 10:48 AM

Yea I just drew the lights for the practice, more of a visual aid for me since I did this drawing w/no measurements, just a picture in my mind. Maybe six of em eh'? Change em from KC to PIAA or something or ditch them all together.

My color palette was pretty limited too, it was the best color combo I could come up with. Nice thing about CAD is I can change anything. I probably would do something different w/the lights too and probably won't have a winch either, it's just something i'd never use.

I never was in love with the look of the original smitty bumpers and wanted something just a little different and I like angles. I can make this one with stuff I have on hand, and I have enough to build a similar rear bumper. It'll be pretty cheap which I love even more. It's only "loosely based" on this design too... you know it'll change as it comes together.

Shorty Stinger maybe...

Last edited by Nailit69; 12-29-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:58 AM

I personally like the design of the bumper, it actually has me thinking of making a similar style on my truck. I would probably do some big ass 6" or 8" in the middle then maybe a smaller set on the out side kind of a o OO o effect
Old 12-29-2012, 01:18 PM

I wish I could find a cad drawing of a pickup (and know what to do with it) so I could see what it's going to look like on the truck.

It couldn't get much more simple though... and one roll bar is going to net me two bumpers. The roll bar looks good but eats up 1/2 the bed w/the braces and i'd rather have bumpers.

Last edited by Nailit69; 12-29-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey buddy love whatcha doing here. I my self am a really big 3d modeler. However I don't use the software that your using. I know a much better an easier software. It's called Zanzona Modeler (Z-Mod) you should download and try it. Here is a link to some of my work along with some attached pics.
http://vales.com/evo2/Evo2vehicles.a...a_boy&status=0

http://vales.com/evo2/trucks/pics/RockWearToy.jpg
http://vales.com/evo2/trucks/pics/BajaEdition.zipjpg
http://vales.com/evo2/trucks/pics/ToyotaBaja.jpg
http://vales.com/evo2/trucks/pics/CJ-8.zipJPG
http://vales.com/evo2/trucks/pics/BurbanCrawler.jpg
http://vales.com/evo2/Fpics/34120_SolidCrawledr.jpg.FP
Hopefully this may help inspire your creative mind. I have also included a link to the other software that I use Z-Mod
http://www.zmodeler2.com/
I actually used this software before I built my front bumper that's on my truck.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:14 PM

You are more then welcome to use any of my 3d models for help with what your doing. They are uploaded in .SMF format which will import into 3D cad. However it's much easier with Zmod. Let me know if ya need an help or what not
Old 12-29-2012, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Toyota~Boy
You are more then welcome to use any of my 3d models for help with what your doing. They are uploaded in .SMF format which will import into 3D cad. However it's much easier with Zmod. Let me know if ya need an help or what not
Awesome... nice 3D drawings those look pretty cool i'll check out zmod too.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:38 PM

Not a huge fan of having 4 lights on the bumper, but it looks pretty cool and could be a good way to re-purpose an unwanted rollbar (well, lightbar )!
Old 12-29-2012, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Nailit69

Awesome... nice 3D drawings those look pretty cool i'll check out zmod too.
No problem man good luck
Old 01-02-2013, 02:04 PM

i like that what diameter are the big tubes
Old 01-02-2013, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dreidel
i like that what diameter are the big tubes
Since the material is coming from Smittybilt rollbar, it'll be 3 inch tubing
Old 01-02-2013, 03:43 PM

that is one nice simple yet good tough looking bumper, i was thinking of making one that followed a bit of the arb style bumper but then i felt like it was too flashy. If you dont mind if i use yours as a base for the one i make when i get some time. I like the simple yet effective look to it.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:40 PM

ok just wondering i have been trying to come up with a good bumper design is it alright if i use you design too thats the first tube bumper that i have liked
Old 01-03-2013, 07:05 AM

Yep, those ARB bumpers are TUFF but almost too flashy for my tastes too. I've got one on my 4runner and I put it in an 8' deep ditch at 25mph and it literally saved the front end... came out of it w/a dented fender, it would have totaled the front out otherwise.

This one should be fairly stout but i'm not going to "ditch" test it, the thickness of the tubes doesn't seem that substantial. I am going to add another 3" brace from the bottom of the center section up to the bend in the other 3" tube and another along the top plane to the corner too but you'll have to wait to see that.

This will be my first bumper build so i'm sure i'll run into problems or issues but I have rainman like visualization skills and can see this completely assembled and on the truck in my head and it just seems too simple not to work.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Dreidel
ok just wondering i have been trying to come up with a good bumper design is it alright if i use you design too thats the first tube bumper that i have liked
Steal my idea and... lol

Go for it, use it, change it, build what works for you. Just be sure to send all payments to my PayPal acct... PM me for the details

Last edited by Nailit69; 01-03-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:16 AM

Nice work! IMO, Native AutoCad is not that good at 3D, Maya, or the above mentioned Zmod, Blender, or SketchUp are much more user friendly.
I know Blender & SketchUP have several free-for-use Toyota truck model files, and there is even a Blender plug-in for the "Rigs of Rods" Simulator
Old 01-10-2013, 05:41 PM

the thing I like about tube bumpers is the minimalist look.

the center section looks good and the plate for lights is nice, wish i had more room for them.

Last edited by 20ozjolt; 01-10-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:41 PM

arb bumpers are mean looking and nice i like them but too flashy like someone else said a few posts up . I like simple yet custom looking so this design just looks real nice and clean yet custom and tough. Im preparing all kinds of mods for my truck as soon as spring rolls up and i get a house with a garage.

Quick Reply: Tube bumper in AutoCAD