The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

trail-gear vs. marlin SAS kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 11:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
I have the All Pro 5" Extreme Lift and it works well, hasn't sagged and then I have bits and pieces from many other companies, including Trail Gear and Marlin. I'm just thankful that our beloved Toyotas have so many others that love them too!

I have reached the point where WHO CARES who did what and to whom about the whole mess.

I will continue to support any Toyota product selling business that offers a good product at a good price and has excellent customer service and so far I have experienced that with everyone I've dealt with, including Marlin, AP and TG.

Competition in the market place is a good thing!

(FYI: It is hard to beat FREE shipping on orders over $50. )

Thanks for all you guys do for Toyotas!

Old 03-02-2006, 11:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Trail-Gear
Do you factual data that supports your statement about the TG springs fatiguing at a faster rate? I would like to review the data personally with you.

Thanks,
Matt
I agree with Matt...if you're going to make a blanket statment about the quality of any spring, you need to back it up with hard data. If Matt has the conviction to stand behind his products the way he claims, then i'm not going to have a problem putting them on my rig. When I work it all out, i'll give the TG kit a go and report back when i'm done. This won't be happening extremely soon, so be patient.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by jsnby
If Matt has the conviction to stand behind his products the way he claims, then i'm not going to have a problem putting them on my rig.
Thats great, but do you know matt. you sure do take peoples word pretty casualy. If you are interested in taking peoples word for something, and basing the quality or this product, on the mans integrity. You should be interested in the turn this thread has taken.

I KNOW YOU HAVENT CALLED MARLIN YET. you are not interested in quality, just $. That is 100% GREAT, but be honest with yourself. You wont call marlin bc you want to beleive the TG stuff is better.

Last edited by 4rnr; 03-02-2006 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:24 PM

who cares what has happened between the companies. buy from whoever you want, for your own reasons. this thread has become ridiculous... all this bitching isn't going to accomplish a thing. brian, you said it well.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by 4RunnerKid
who cares what has happened between the companies. buy from whoever you want, for your own reasons. this thread has become ridiculous... all this bitching isn't going to accomplish a thing. brian, you said it well.
your sig says it all.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4rnr

As for the springs, I will see if I can get some data from, (the people who tell me this stuff). .

don't listen to those voices in your head man they will just make you crazy

Last edited by shiftless89; 03-02-2006 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
The pot slaps the kettle.

You obviously dont understand
Old 03-02-2006, 01:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you ask me, this sounds like a great article for Toyota Owner Magazine (or whatever its called)

Have each manufacturer submit a kit to the magaziine and have them take the springs to a testing machine as well as detail what is included in each kit (and it's point country of manufacture if their so inclined to share). Let the magazine be our "Consumer Reports".

And lets lose the jabs - they are childish and don't add any value. We can do without them - if it continues, this thread goes away.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:34 PM

The tests that will matter most are from those running the springs on their heavy trail rigs and 4runners.The longevity of the springs and quality will then be truly tested about a year or two down the road from now; of course when the springs are new and tested in house on machines and or rigs they will perform fine.

Cebby has a good idea as well, although from my personal experience reading 4wheeler/4wd & Suv/etc when they compare tires, lift kits and other various products from different manufactures, I dont believe I have seen the magazine ever highly recommend one product over another, they always say both are good - which obviously they are inclined to do so I realize.

Last edited by westy44runner; 03-02-2006 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:14 PM
Contributing Member

If any manufacturers are interested, I write for the magazine. If the manufacturers are in I'm sure I can swing the article by my boss.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Praufet
If any manufacturers are interested, I write for the magazine. If the manufacturers are in I'm sure I can swing the article by my boss.
WOW, we might be getting somewhere...
Old 03-02-2006, 02:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was hoping you'd chime in! Sounds great!

I'm not looking for the mag to make an absolute recommendation (I guess using the "consumer reports" terminology might have been reaching a bit), but if we can get an in depth side by side comparison of the 4 majors (All-Pro, Marlin, Sky and Trail Gear <- alphabetical order ) I think there would be enormous value to the readership.

Of course, we would want to post the contents of the article under our gear reviews section for posterity...
Old 03-02-2006, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by SEAN_at_TLT
If you want to help preserve the off-road community then you might choose to support the guys who made this all happen in the first place,

Sean,

I spent over 7 grand in 3 months with Marlin. That's who I buy from, will continue to buy from, and will recommend based on experience. That's voting with the wallet.

Appreciate your insight though, it's always good to hear another man's perspective.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by 4rnr
your sig says it all.
because i have TG stuff on my 4Runner? sure, price was definitely a factor in my decision to buy the TG kit, but i don't really have any complaints thus far. the springs do sit a bit lower than i thought, but i'm not too worried about that. they ride fine and flex great. and if they do prematurely sag (hopefully no lower than they are now) i hope TG will stand by their product. i have a feeling they will. i'm simply saying people are going to make their decisions based on their own feelings about the companies. i don't see a point in all this bitching...
Old 03-02-2006, 03:57 PM

If any manufacturers are interested
Trail-Gear is interested. We would support an independent product review and analysis.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:10 PM

i think alot of this starts with a "new to people company" now takeing on new vendors and growng the 4x4 resale market. they have the buying power so if they can offer a cheaper price then all the power to them, as a canadian im super happy with there product i carry it with my business, and i am super pleased with the quality of everything i have recieved from them, they have opened up the market for resale for us down here when all the major companys wouldnt, and stopped shipping to canada because of border hassels..people will either hate or love you.i remember ordering from marlin at like 10 at night and recieveing a email from chris answering questions..how many people do you find devoted to there place of work like that?? i thought i was the only idiot!!

Last edited by yeaitsme; 03-02-2006 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by 4RunnerKid
because i have TG stuff on my 4Runner? sure, price was definitely a factor in my decision to buy the TG kit, but i don't really have any complaints thus far. the springs do sit a bit lower than i thought, but i'm not too worried about that. they ride fine and flex great. and if they do prematurely sag (hopefully no lower than they are now) i hope TG will stand by their product. i have a feeling they will. i'm simply saying people are going to make their decisions based on their own feelings about the companies. i don't see a point in all this bitching...
Thats fine, and im sure they will stand by their product I have heard nothing but good things about there service. and the fact that you have TG stuff on your truck isnt realevant the more I think about it, escpecially since I run marlin. In fact you have more experience with TG than me.

I dont mean to take jabs and am sorry if it comes off like that, but I have a unique opportunity as for getting info on this subject, and I feel as it is my responsibily to atleast take this oportunity to discover trail gears answers to my questions. In order to get their point of view. I am truely interested in his responces. If what Iam hearing is true it goes against alot of TG responses.

Dont get me wrong, from all of my research, Trail Gear sells a great product. The issue some of the inconsistencies, (of which I questioned TG about in this thread and have yet to get response).

Most importantly, I understand some of you dont care, or dont want to hear about it, thats fine, but I do.

Last edited by 4rnr; 03-02-2006 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:56 PM

YES!!! this is a great idea. you could have the machine tests and reviews from people who have had the kits on their trucks. i think this would get a huge positive feedback. i know a lot of people are confused and contimplating what vendor to buy from especially when it comes to the SAS or IFS Eliminator kit or whatever else you call it. i think this would be a better article than the fj cruiser article from a couple of issues ago.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by shiftless89
don't listen to those voices in your head man they will just make you crazy
Old 03-02-2006, 08:02 PM

o and BTW trail gear i believe you have handled this issue in the right way.

and i have one little off-topic question: are you guys going to be out at truckhaven march 4-5 for the TDS event?

Quick Reply: trail-gear vs. marlin SAS kit