The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Rear Bumper Fab Underway

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 12:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Bumper Fab Underway

After designing this thing months ago, Im finally starting to build it. I used SolidWorks to make a rough 3D model of the rear of my runner, and then I modeled a bumper to fit. Then I spent some quality time at work to make the 2D AutoCAD drawings. So, as long as my 4Runner model is perfect, everything will go together perfectly. Yea right.

Anyways, so as of now I got the 1/4" connection plates tacked onto the main tube (3"x4"x1/8" sqr tubing) and got the holes drilled. I am using the 1/2" stock towing hitch mounting plates to attach my bumper to. I used a friends shop to cut the bottom of the towing hitch plates off and got some holes punched in them. So now the next step is to get the 1/8" side plates welded on.

You'll see in the close up pic that I had to redrill my mounting holes. I realized after I punched the original holes that I wouldn't be able to bolt in that location because the 1/2" plate I was mounting to had some steel welded to the back of it there. So, I had to redrill back a couple inches. The bolts are a little cramped and one is too close to the existing hole, but it will get the job done.

I'll update with more pics as the works progresses.

Old 05-31-2008, 02:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
interesting idea. how are you planning on bracing the sides by the wheel wheel? triangulate back to the mounts?
Old 05-31-2008, 09:34 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by abecedarian
interesting idea. how are you planning on bracing the sides by the wheel wheel? triangulate back to the mounts?
I'll support the sides off the main vehicle frame. Come off perpendicular and angling up to the frame. I didn't inculde the frame in my 3D model so I haven't designed that part yet, but I'll just field measure something in after the bumper is basically done.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:00 AM

Nice, can you please take lots of pictures. I don't really want a tube bumper, but that seems to be all that is offered.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by WillRadford
I'll support the sides off the main vehicle frame. Come off perpendicular and angling up to the frame. I didn't inculde the frame in my 3D model so I haven't designed that part yet, but I'll just field measure something in after the bumper is basically done.
Sounds cool. Is it going to be removable if necessary without cutting welds?
I'm asking cause it looks like a good stout design you might be able to market since it looks similar to some of the winch mount fronts I've seen.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by abecedarian
Sounds cool. Is it going to be removable if necessary without cutting welds?
I'm asking cause it looks like a good stout design you might be able to market since it looks similar to some of the winch mount fronts I've seen.
Ya, It'll definately be removable by unbolting.

More than anything this is kind of a learning project for me. I've only been welding for a couple months now. This is about my third project, and definately the biggest. It should be fun and hopefully it looks good in the end.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:45 PM

I thought you were going to sell your 4runner last year? At least that's what I remember hearing on the one run to 5-Mile pass?
Old 05-31-2008, 02:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by wormhole
I thought you were going to sell your 4runner last year? At least that's what I remember hearing on the one run to 5-Mile pass?
Well, the plan was only to buy it, do the valve job and sell it, but then I crashed my gold 4runner and never got any money out of the lady that hit me. I hate people from Evanston WY that drive in Utah without car insurance and then get thrown in jail so you can't garnish their wages in order to collect on the judgement you were awarded in small claims court. I'll probably never get my $4000 out of her. So, the blue runner has been good to me and we'll keep her until I decide I can afford something else.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:13 PM

Well, the plan was only to buy it, do the valve job and sell it, but then I crashed my gold 4runner and never got any money out of the lady that hit me. I hate people from Evanston WY that drive in Utah without car insurance and then get thrown in jail so you can't garnish their wages in order to collect on the judgement you were awarded in small claims court. I'll probably never get my $4000 out of her. So, the blue runner has been good to me and we'll keep her until I decide I can afford something else.
keep filing the judgement for collections regardless of whether you get paid or not and report it to the credit bureaus. if you let it go you will definitely never see it. you may also be able to serve the state and federal govt for collections and they may garnish it through taxes.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:06 PM
Contributing Member

OK, I've finally got all the main pieces tacked together. I still need to tack on a few final pieces, but you wouldn't even be able to see those from the pics I took, well, except for the trailer hitch and the tow lugs. I had to do a little grinding and have a quarter inch sheared off a few pieces, but overall Im very pleased with how its turning out. I do want to cut out a piece that will fill the gap that you can see in the upper corner of the bumper. Also, the very front upper edge of the sides are rubbing on a tiny spot of the body, so I need to figure out the best way to deal with that. Im thinking maybe epoxy on a piece of plastic or something so that it won't rust right there. I'll get quite a bit better departure angle with this new bumper. The bottom of this bumper sits about 3" higher than the stock bumper. Check out the new gap I have between the exhaust pipe and the bottom of the bumper. I'll have to think about relocating that later. Anyways, here are some pics:

Last edited by WillRadford; 06-26-2008 at 10:12 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:25 PM

Very nice, came out great. I'll be watching out for the finished product.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:10 AM

Very nice Radford! The boxed look is working well.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:11 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
I love it
Old 06-27-2008, 09:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That thing looks great. Very clean fabrication. I can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:41 AM

Also, the very front upper edge of the sides are rubbing on a tiny spot of the body, so I need to figure out the best way to deal with that. Im thinking maybe epoxy on a piece of plastic or something so that it won't rust right there.
Not sure if the body and frame flex on a second gen like they do on a third, but if you have any part of the bumper rubbing or quite close to the body now, you may want to re-think that clearance. I would want, at a minimum, an inch clearance away from the bumper and any body part. Otherwise, if you hit the bumper hard, you stand a good chance of getting some body damage. Just a thought.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:54 AM

looks good! came together great!
Old 06-28-2008, 07:22 AM

Looks great so far, no plans for a spare tire carrier?
Old 06-28-2008, 01:41 PM

lookin good kinda makes me wanna get rid of the tube bumper and go for the boxed style
Old 06-28-2008, 03:44 PM

That looks great! It looks almost exactly like the one I was planning on building, someday... Very clean, I want one...
Old 06-28-2008, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by AZ4ME
Not sure if the body and frame flex on a second gen like they do on a third, but if you have any part of the bumper rubbing or quite close to the body now, you may want to re-think that clearance. I would want, at a minimum, an inch clearance away from the bumper and any body part. Otherwise, if you hit the bumper hard, you stand a good chance of getting some body damage. Just a thought.
x2...I dropped off a bridge where the end had a large washout and pushed the bumper up to the sheet metal on my truck. And that's WITH a Draw-Tite trailer hitch taking most of the impact. Gap, my friend, gap...

Quick Reply: Rear Bumper Fab Underway