The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Project: im swappin this 2wd to a 4wd, screw tradin in.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 09:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
update: just got back from colorado checking out CSU and hangin with my mom around the area.▓

things are going smooth and should have the case in real soon, Bud is on his way to making the xmember for me,▓ I now have the shifter plate and pistol grip shifter in my possession but i may be missing something that Im not sure of

i dont have screws or whatever that will make this move over,▓ Im thinking of moving the stock 2wd crap over and leaving the surround piece off till i figure out what to do.

any ideas?

So dang close guys!!
Old 07-11-2007, 09:52 PM
Banned for being an asshat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Niceee!!! I knew someone would end up doing this before me.

Jim makes some nice stuff!! If/When I do my second gen, hell be who I call.

*Which tranny you running btw, and gonna do aftermarket cooler?
(Did I ask this already??)
Old 07-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Four Runner
Niceee!!! I knew someone would end up doing this before me.

Jim makes some nice stuff!! If/When I do my second gen, hell be who I call.

*Which tranny you running btw, and gonna do aftermarket cooler?
(Did I ask this already??)
Jim has a prerunner adapter so im sticking with my 01 2wd tranny for the entire thing, I think ill go with a hayden cooler soon, I drive my truck like I stole it somedays.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:06 PM
Banned

also, my rear driveshaft is 44.7 inchs fully compressed, i have 46.3 inchs of space or so between the case assembly and the rear diff flange, so if anybody has any thoughts on full compressed travel, will i be fine or will i need to shorten it?
Old 08-24-2007, 10:41 AM
Banned

i guess ill post pictures,

whats going on? loooooots, the tail shaft (or output shaft) from the tranny was like i dunno maybe 6 inchs longer then a prerunner shaft? well that idea has been taken care of, however now its the speed sensor, yep, ill show you in a bit about that.

Here are the images.

ill try and explain parts of it, now i havent seen it first hand, and im only relaying information, so i may be a little off in my information, if anyone else has more deeper knowledge, do step in.

tail housing off and you can see the sensor on the right

sensor plugged in, well yeah its way far back

here is the problem, those 5 or so teeth on the gear ring before the tail shaft is what the sensor is supposed to read, see how far the sensor is from that? thats what is delaying this, and no way in hell i would have attempted this install as it is more fab work then im capable of.

see the differences

this is Jamie (SAR_Squids) tacoma shaft and adapter

up above that is mine.

BIGGGGGGG NOTE!!!

Both Jim at Inchworm, and Yuri (spelling) and Oleg at Irbis offroad are going out of there way to get this right and id like to make sure they are getting recognized for this outstanding work, Im over here sitting on ice scared as hell that it might not even work and id sell and trade in or something of that sort.

ill keep everyone informed.

Last edited by neliconcept; 08-24-2007 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:16 AM

Talking

Unless I'm wrong here, you pull off the tailshaft extension and either put on a different one, with just the helical gears, or get one that has the gears on it. In other words, that last part of the shaft is removable.

Have you pm'd Squid and asked him yet??

**Note: Didn't get to play around much while stopping by Inchworm, tranny needed to cool, and while looking around to verify that I indeed have a leaky valve cover, cooked about 1" of my hand on the converter..

I spoke w/ Jim about everything, god stuff, keep us informed.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:48 PM
Banned

Unless I'm wrong here, you pull off the tailshaft extension and either put on a different one, with just the helical gears, or get one that has the gears on it. In other words, that last part of the shaft is removable.

Have you pm'd Squid and asked him yet??

**Note: Didn't get to play around much while stopping by Inchworm, tranny needed to cool, and while looking around to verify that I indeed have a leaky valve cover, cooked about 1" of my hand on the converter..

I spoke w/ Jim about everything, god stuff, keep us informed.
Jamie (Squid) and my trannies are way different with the rear tailhousing

basically a tubular adapter was put on with the gears, and all that connects is the output shafts from both the tranny and tcase with a spline connector.

however as you can see my planetary gear is further back then the front adapter, which means Jim had to use another casting to put a hole in it where the gear should be. and we will just send back the casting I have now in return.

that should get to Aurora by thursday he told me. just more days without my baby lol.

Last edited by neliconcept; 08-28-2007 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:26 PM

Wink

So what you're saying is "I'se gotta finish my * now!! !!"
Old 08-28-2007, 08:10 PM
Banned

So what you're saying is "I'se gotta finish my * now!! !!"
if its fast and done right, yeah lol. ill wait to get it done right.

going through withdrawels though lol
Old 09-03-2007, 01:47 PM
Banned

more updates, im just glad im seeing crap installed

more pictures

Old 09-03-2007, 03:08 PM

i dig this build. so did you end up going with the doubler case? and what's the final ratio? (sorry if i missed it).

good luck blake.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by yotasavg
i dig this build. so did you end up going with the doubler case? and what's the final ratio? (sorry if i missed it).

good luck blake.
running single at the time now, with 5:1. i do plan on getting a tiptronic system for the auto tranny so i can run 3rd gear and keep up with everyone on the trail.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:25 PM
Banned

pictures of todays work, almost done, prob have it thursday at lastest inless something else goes on.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:56 PM
Contributing Member

When you're all said and done, be sure to post a video of the truck moving in low range and you walking beside it . I'd like to see how slow it really crawls. (you walking beside it just gives a better contrast than not walking beside it.)
Old 09-09-2007, 07:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
When you're all said and done, be sure to post a video of the truck moving in low range and you walking beside it . I'd like to see how slow it really crawls. (you walking beside it just gives a better contrast than not walking beside it.)
somebody gonna be drivin it though

i have put it in lowrange 4 times so far, it is slow and it works really well.

i have croyed output shaft so hopefully i wont have problems of breakage there like some have had with their MC crawlboxes.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:55 PM

Talking

You're a fricking bad influence on me, now I keep wanting to justify giving Jim mine for a bit.

Ok, so what's the expense tally so far??
(Suppose you could figure in you're work/time too...)
Old 09-10-2007, 06:32 AM
Banned

You're a fricking bad influence on me, now I keep wanting to justify giving Jim mine for a bit.

Ok, so what's the expense tally so far??
(Suppose you could figure in you're work/time too...)
a lot lol

what side is your diff on? you could get away with just a 23 spline geared case out of a turbo 4 cyl or something and go right side drop with the adapters and save your self 1700 for a case with low gearing.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:54 PM

Lightbulb

The front diff's not on any side, just the rear...just like yours was, 2wd baby.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:57 PM
Banned

The front diff's not on any side, just the rear...just like yours was, 2wd baby.
with a 2nd gen 4wd it was on the right side. and your mounts would prob work that way, would be easier to do that probablly.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:00 AM
Banned

almost done everybody

front diff is in right now, I have a rear diff with arb and 4.56s coming my way next week sometime, i will end up picking up front driveshaft sometime this week.

arbs front and rear, 4.56s, inchworm 5:1, twinstick, aisin hubs, budbuilt crossmember, prerunner adapters

Quick Reply: Project: im swappin this 2wd to a 4wd, screw tradin in.