The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Project: im swappin this 2wd to a 4wd, screw tradin in.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 09:41 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Project: im swappin this 2wd to a 4wd, screw tradin in.

As some of you know, I have been planning on trading in, but, Im not willing to wait,, yes yes im not willing to wait, I like my silver sport edition even though I wouldnt mind having a black sport.

Heres the deal, I think I can get it done and be correct for around 2k, and thats prob over doing it on price.

step 1 will consist of

- tranny, anywhere from 600 to 1000
- base model sr5 runner chain driven or tacoma transfercase
- tranny mount
- rear drive shaft.

I will run that setup for a while until I get the front done. This will also allow me to mod the case so I can run 2lo for the remainder and be able to at least keep up with the 4wd crowd with my rear locker.

step 2
- tacoma front end
- manual hubs
- 4wd spindels
- non add shafts and front diff.
- and front driveshaft

step 3

lockin that front and gettin a crawlerbox.

Im starting to get a looot of money during the summer. and I want to do step one before I head for Colorado State hopefully!

if anybody has any inputs or thoughts on this let me know. hopefully the xfer case is first to get within this week.

already have shifter console piece.

oh and if anyone wants to help find me a tranny that would be grand haha
Old 05-06-2007, 10:24 AM
Contributing Member

I don't know if you get the toyota 4wd mag, but look at inchworm gear's ad on pg. 15. They have a Prerunner Adapter, "convert your Prerunner or any
2wd Toyota automatic to 4wd". Doesn't give any years and I couldn't find it on their website. Might be worth giving them a call.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:27 PM

Hmmmm gonna take the time and money to put a completely new stock IFS system in? SAS it while ur at it.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:03 PM
Contributing Member

+1 to SAS....you don't have too much crap you'll need to ditch in order to do the swap, just go SAS
Old 05-06-2007, 01:15 PM
Banned

SAS would be nice

but here is the problem

inless yall know how to relocate VSC and ABS sensors on the front axle, im SOL
Old 05-06-2007, 01:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While SAS is cool - I was under the impression that the 2WD later model 4Runners were just the 4WD models with a "cover" over the hole where the outer stub axle would go through the spidle. That in theory makes the 2WD > 4WD conversion a bolt up affair?

Just curious...

If you can get a rolled 4WD or the right vintage - you should be able to do OK..
Old 05-06-2007, 01:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ewong
While SAS is cool - I was under the impression that the 2WD later model 4Runners were just the 4WD models with a "cover" over the hole where the outer stub axle would go through the spidle. That in theory makes the 2WD > 4WD conversion a bolt up affair?

Just curious...

If you can get a rolled 4WD or the right vintage - you should be able to do OK..
essentially yes, except I wil have to change up my spindles and hubs, but the diff bolts up, i just have to change tranny and drivetrain as well

Chris. I havent gotten my issue of the mag yet but im not exactly sure if that thing works like it says with Inchworm, and if it does my shifter will be in my cupholder most likely.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:46 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Neil, for sure give Jim a call at Inchworm Gear.

I too saw the ad this month in David's magazine that you can convert the 2WD trucks over to 4WD pretty easy with his gear.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:51 PM

Who needs ABS... Those big tires will stop you from locking em up!
Old 05-06-2007, 03:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stomis
Who needs ABS... Those big tires will stop you from locking em up!
yeah would be nice to be able to pull the computer and put in an older one to accomodate that.

I'll give it though but first I gotta get the drivetrain done, front is still up in the air.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
dude that would be really awesome if you can pull this off. If you get a new runner, it would just as much work transferring everything to the other vehicle anyways.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Corey
Neil, for sure give Jim a call at Inchworm Gear.

I too saw the ad this month in David's magazine that you can convert the 2WD trucks over to 4WD pretty easy with his gear.
ill check, Steve at SS told me it wasnt possible, but i dont know, ill call up Jim as anything works, i could care less where it puts my tcase shifter as long as it works! and i get low range and a rear locker and front later on.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

so much time and money... wouldnt it just be better to trader her off and build another one? I understand that challange but... seems like a lot.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gilby4runner
so much time and money... wouldnt it just be better to trader her off and build another one? I understand that challange but... seems like a lot.
id loose money either way.

id rather loose money into something i already have taken care of.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Blake, I know money is tight, but let me offer this advice, since was in a situation about 2 years ago where i tried to "save money" on my truck, and am now slapping myself in the head.

IF you plan on doing the crawler, DO NOT waste time and money doing it in several steps. You will have to do a new cross member, and a new rear dshaft TWICE if you do it that way, and that sucks man.

I know it seems like you'll have to wait for forever, but seriously, if you do it once, you will thank youself later. I'm doing mine twice, and let me tell you, i'd be several thousand richer right now if id waited a few extra months and saved and done it once.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AxleIke
Blake, I know money is tight, but let me offer this advice, since was in a situation about 2 years ago where i tried to "save money" on my truck, and am now slapping myself in the head.

IF you plan on doing the crawler, DO NOT waste time and money doing it in several steps. You will have to do a new cross member, and a new rear dshaft TWICE if you do it that way, and that sucks man.

I know it seems like you'll have to wait for forever, but seriously, if you do it once, you will thank youself later. I'm doing mine twice, and let me tell you, i'd be several thousand richer right now if id waited a few extra months and saved and done it once.
thanks man i didnt think about it that way. to be honest, I dont know if im going to wheel mine that hard anyways. so I may just do front and rear lockers and know that if im in a situation that I may be able to get my self out if im by myself, i just want to be able to have the front end pull me out while im out on expeditions

great insight, didnt think about that.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Do you have an auto or 5 speed?
Old 05-06-2007, 05:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AxleIke
Do you have an auto or 5 speed?
its an auto.

which will suck downhill
Old 05-06-2007, 05:57 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
more than anything it sounds like a FUN project. i would love to be involved in something like that (and have the money to do it). however, i think your price of $2k may be UNDERestimating how much its going to be. all those little things (spindles, crawlers, CVs, etc) really add up. just a warning. if you can get it done for under that 2k, then more power to you and i demand to know where you shop
Old 05-06-2007, 05:58 PM
Contributing Member

Blake, here is the pic from the ad. Not much to it and I swear I looked all over their website and couldn't find it.

YOu could probably bust some off the price if you bought "lefty" as a package with it.

Quick Reply: Project: im swappin this 2wd to a 4wd, screw tradin in.