The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

The "Official" 3rd Gen Gas Tank Relocation Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 02:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RobT2k
Aren't you losing some fuel capacity?

Stock=18 gal

Mustang=16 gal

I like chris' tank, and gaining 3 gal.
It's a little deeper than I'd like, but the chances of hitting it are still a lot less than the stock tank location, that's for sure.

Chris
Old 03-29-2005, 03:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RobT2k
Aren't you losing some fuel capacity?

Stock=18 gal

Mustang=16 gal

I like chris' tank, and gaining 3 gal.
I think my owners manual says it is a 16.2 gal. tank.
I know I have run it out of gas before and only gotten 16... something in it.
I will check into it further and see. thanks for the warning. I wouldnt want to lose any capacity.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:35 PM

I have 2nd gen with stock tank moved to the rear.... I had a shop do the work though.
here's some pics..
http://home.earthlink.net/~audiorat1/images/gastank/
Old 03-29-2005, 01:47 PM

That looks great! Have you hit it yet dropping off any ledges? It looks like you don't have a skid plate underneath which is why I'm asking. How deep was that tank?

Chris
Old 03-29-2005, 02:00 PM

I'm going to add a skit plate soon...it's pretty high off the ground now though...
How deep? I dunno...never meassured it.
The one you got looks better though..
Old 03-29-2005, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by anthony1
I'm going to add a skit plate soon...it's pretty high off the ground now though...
How deep? I dunno...never meassured it.
The one you got looks better though..
Your truck looks like it sits up a lot higher than mine. Mine's right around 12" deep, and I wish it was closer to 10 inches deep, but it was free and it's still going to be much nicer than the stock location for sure.

Chris
Old 03-29-2005, 05:57 PM
Contributing Member

Chris, I'm liking what you have in mind here. Before this thread I never really thought this was a necessary mod, but the more I think about it the better it sounds.
Keep up the good work, man. I'm sure you will have a lot of followers if this goes as planned.

-Casey
Old 03-29-2005, 06:35 PM

The stock tank is 18 gal? My tank only holds around 16, but I do have a huge dent in the tank. I fixed the skids but don't know how to pull the dent in the tank.

Does anyone know the measurements of the the rear frame rails on the third gen?
Old 03-29-2005, 09:24 PM

Well guys tonight after work I began to start welding in the support brackets for the tank. Talk a pain in the butt. Because the tank still has gas in it, and I'm not going to risk it, I have to repeatedly place the tank, then remove it, time after time again. It's sort of a pain, because instead of welding stuff in place with the tank mounted to it, you can't because you might blow up. So, at any rate, I've got the two side mounts for the tank about halfway done. One of the side's sits above the tank, and the other sits below the tank so removing the tank will be possible. Plus doing this mod by yourself isn't recommended. It's hard to hold everything in place and weld at the same time, all while trying to maintain the right eyballed location for the mount.

But, needless to say, it's going to mount up perfectly once I'm all done. Once I get it mounted, I'm going to run the wiring and tubing next. Then the skid plate, and then once trail tested, off comes the stock crossmember.

Chris

P.S. The stock frame rails are between 36-37" apart.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:42 AM

The Toyota stock tank has a drain hole on the bottom similar to oil drain plug. I guess the Izuzu doesn't have one?
Old 03-30-2005, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by anthony1
The Toyota stock tank has a drain hole on the bottom similar to oil drain plug. I guess the Izuzu doesn't have one?
It does, but I had put the gas in to test the connections before I started having to man handle so much. I probably should drain it!

Chris
Old 03-30-2005, 09:03 AM

I can fill up and get 17.XX gallons if I am really running dry. So I'm pretty sure that the capacity is 18 gallons. I have noticed that I can top-off at least a gallon safely.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SEAN_at_TLT
I can fill up and get 17.XX gallons if I am really running dry. So I'm pretty sure that the capacity is 18 gallons. I have noticed that I can top-off at least a gallon safely.

i can ony fill about 16 or so, but i have a big dent too...

i can fit ~1.5 gallons easily by rocking it a little as i top it off to "burp" the tank...
Old 03-31-2005, 01:58 PM
Contributing Member

question...

I was thinking earlier today, how will this affect the springs on the driver's side of the vehicle. I mean they were designed to carry more load on that side due to the weight of the gas tank. So what will happen now that the weight is all on the back and not on one side? It seems to me that one side might end up being higher than the other. Or is the weight of the tank negligible?
Old 03-31-2005, 03:11 PM

The weight difference is nothing to write home about. When my tank is empty I don't notice my truck sitting off level.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:30 PM
Contributing Member

Ok I just looked in my owners manual (for a 1987 4runner) and the fuel capicity is 17.2 gal. So, I will be loosing a little capacity if I use the 16 gal. tank. Thanks for alerting me.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by seaflea
Ok I just looked in my owners manual (for a 1987 4runner) and the fuel capicity is 17.2 gal. So, I will be loosing a little capacity if I use the 16 gal. tank. Thanks for alerting me.
Stay tuned for more pics of tomorrow's progress. I'm hoping to get it mounted up and it running by the end of the day, possibly.

Chris
Old 04-01-2005, 08:30 AM

Well, today, the progress is coming along great! I've got the gas tank supports welded in place, so now I'm going to run the tubing and wiring. Once I get it running again, I'll start building the skid plate. I'll have pics tonight of the completed project if everything goes as planned.

Chris
Old 04-01-2005, 09:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ravencr
Well, today, the progress is coming along great! I've got the gas tank supports welded in place, so now I'm going to run the tubing and wiring. Once I get it running again, I'll start building the skid plate. I'll have pics tonight of the completed project if everything goes as planned.

Chris

Does this mean you will have gas tonight?
Old 04-01-2005, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by dragr1
Does this mean you will have gas tonight?
Yepper! I just went and bought the tubing, wire, and connectors. The only I can't figure out yet is the filler hose, because nobody has what I need. So, I'm going to try to adapt the stock 4runner filler hose and what little bit of the filler hose off the Isuzu tank. It should be running by tonight.

Chris

Quick Reply: The "Official" 3rd Gen Gas Tank Relocation Thread!