The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Ever wonder... (AWD hybrid pickup)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ever wonder... (AWD hybrid pickup)

Just curious if anyone here had ever thought about an AWD pickup build, along the lines of the GMC Typhoon/Cyclone rigs? I did a little research, very little so far actually... At first glance comparing an AWD Chevy astrovan (saw a Craigslist 94 version for $650-1000) and my own 2wd RN41 longbed, they seem pretty close... The Astro has a 111" wheelbase, and my truck has a 109" wheelbase. I can find or subtract 2" somewhere... I could then even go so far as swapping in a smallblock Chevy...

Just some random thoughts, but I think that such a beast would haul butt! AWD starts would be right now, even with just the 4.3L motor and AWD in a stock full bodied van (empty work van with 2 seats) is pretty quick.

Any thoughts or experiences?? You tube?

Shawn K
Old 10-10-2009, 11:21 AM

I have indeed. a couple ideas to keep this going. I don't know if they work but things i have heard/put together. jeep has a part time case that come behind one of there automatics. this automatic was built (and really similar if not identical) to a toyota A304H( prolly not the correct name) auto. So something along the lines of yota motor tranny jeep part time case.

That thoughts done for now.

how ever an all wheel drive pickup on like a 32 sounds awesome. LSD in the front and rear with some kind of full time case. sitting low (read not lowered). Almost making a sports car out of it.

An image of a lancer spinning like a top in place come to mind. now i see a yota pickup spinning like a top
Old 10-11-2009, 11:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The t-case in my XJ has the option of 2H, 4H (lock), 4HI, N, and 4LO. In the 4HI position, the front and rear are not locked together, this position can be run on any surface at any time. I could run in "AWD" if I so chose, but don't want the extra drag.
Back to my point; the transmission is it coupled to is the same as the toyota, except they have different bell housings and tail housings.
If you wanted to go the route Jeeves has proposed, it could be done by simply changing the tail housing on an Toy automatic and coupling a Dana case behind it. . .

Late model toyota t-cases have this same idea (probably better even). I know my Mom's 03 4Runner has the option to run in 4Hi, and you can push a button to "lock" the t-case. Otherwise it's "open" and both ends turn independently of eachother, so they don't bind up. Not to mention its behind the Aluminum V6. . .

I don't know about the manual transmission t-cases, but I would imagine they are very similar. And when building a vehicle like this, I would imagine most would like to have a Manual transmission for better control and "the fun of it". LOL
Old 10-13-2009, 04:12 PM

It would be nice to stick with what I know and remain Toyota, but I can't really think of any thing that is small enough/old enough/cost effective enough in the Toyota lineup that I could do this with...

Also I have been kicking around the idea of a 4.3L swap, since this truck is a 2wd, engine space is limited. But the thought of just lifting the body off, and rolling under the complete Astrovan chassis and fitting up the brakes and steering, fitting up the body mounts and drive it away sounds like a very doable swap.

I guess in 85 the 4.3L is supposedly pretty healthy. If I can find a decent non wrecked rolling chassis I can make it work for realistic cash. I am truly considering this swap when I get my Corolla up and running...So far my other option would be to turbocharge my 22RE I am building now, It will get me in the 200HP range when running properly. But at this point, if the engine blows before I get to the turbo part, I might just cut my losses and pursue a path of AWD
Old 10-13-2009, 04:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, in theory you could consider doing a 3.4 swap and swap in a full-time transmission/t-case out of a 2000-2002 4x4 4Runner. That would give you the option of 2wd, AWD and 4x4, all in one package. It would be quite a bit of work though.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:44 PM

If i was gonna build an awd quick pickup, i'd get a single cab taco with the 3rz.

swap in a r series trans with the multimode tcase and turbo it.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Racer25
But the thought of just lifting the body off, and rolling under the complete Astrovan chassis and fitting up the brakes and steering, fitting up the body mounts and drive it away sounds like a very doable swap.
I have a very similar swap for my garage. it just seems too doable to pass up. I have a 85 s-10 single cab pickup. two ideas, first K5 blazer everything with the S-10 body sittin on top (fully welded trailer queen trail king), or going the awd option from something (astro van, interesting) and making a snowy road killer/ sand dune cruiser.

the 5vz/4runner swap sounds sweet but your probably talking 10,000 grand at least.

Curious as to your final destination goals? what are you looking to get out of it? Just an old truck you wanna mess around with?
Old 10-14-2009, 07:00 AM

The goal is to have a quick old truck...I don't have a bunch of cash, so it seems reasonable to start looking at domestic power. It amazes me how much people ask for Toyota parts...A 22R that is 'running' goes for 700-1000 bucks! 2-3000 for a 5VZ...Not gonna happen. With the AWD craze going on these days, the thought of a full chassis'd AWD that mimics the dimensions of my particular truck just seams like it needs more research...

The part that isn't that easy is the wheel bolt pattern...I like the 5x114.3 pattern, which I know the Astrovan won't have...Damn Chevy...I would roll adapters, but I already think the van widths might be too wide even running the OEM flares like I am.

This weekend I am searching the local Pull-A-Part for Ford 8.8" rear ends...I will be taking measurements of different years of Astrovans at that time as well. I will post what I find.

Oh and I don't want a 4wd transmission, I want AWD. this is a lowered truck, if I was to go 4wd I would be swapping in the actual 4wd drivetrain, solid axle front, etc...But not on a truck that will see 99.5% street time.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:54 AM
Contributing Member

The goal is to have a quick old truck...I don't have a bunch of cash, so it seems reasonable to start looking at domestic power.
I can see the domestic power argument sometimes if you want a big V-8, but an entire domestic chassis?? AWD Astrovans are unreliable, that's why they're so cheap.

It amazes me how much people ask for Toyota parts...A 22R that is 'running' goes for 700-1000 bucks! 2-3000 for a 5VZ...Not gonna happen.
A running engine in good condition just costs that much, it doesn't matter what kind it is. You can get a running 5vz from a junkyard with less than 100,000 miles for around $1500 though IIRC.

Oh and I don't want a 4wd transmission, I want AWD. this is a lowered truck, if I was to go 4wd I would be swapping in the actual 4wd drivetrain, solid axle front, etc...But not on a truck that will see 99.5% street time.
The point is that a 99-2002 4Runner multimatic t-case/tranny combo IS AWD. It has the option for a center diff lock, which makes it 4WD. So if you swapped a multimatic tranny/t-case in, you would have the option of running in 2WD, AWD with the push of a button, or 4WD hi/low with the lever.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:19 PM

I can see the domestic power argument sometimes if you want a big V-8, but an entire domestic chassis?? AWD Astrovans are unreliable, that's why they're so cheap.
Thats kinda the point. If I get tired of the 4.3L I can swap in a small block Chevy very easily, these motors are easy to find and build, Domestic Honda's... Yeah the Astro's are no Camry or Corolla, but they are newer than a 1980 drivetrain, parts are obtainable, and the weight will be reduced significantly in truck form. I would go for a hopefully lower mileaged van for sure. Shoot, for the price, I can afford to get 2 vans, one for spare parts!

A running engine in good condition just costs that much, it doesn't matter what kind it is. You can get a running 5vz from a junkyard with less than 100,000 miles for around $1500 though IIRC.
Not true, Craigslist and Ebay as guides, all else being equal, Toyota engines are normally more money. The only exception I have noticed is the 1UZFE, but this is a catch 22, the motor is cheap, but it would cost 3 times the cost of the motor to put a 5speed behind it. I have never seen a 5VZ for $1500, but that is the cost of 1.5 complete running Astro vans. Domestic stuff is cheaper than imported stuff-That is what I have always seen in my area.

Believe me, I am a Toyota purist, but it was never a decision based on cheap parts or cars...ie: I just spent $60 to get a replacement heater valve...Dealer only part, and new, not used.

The point is that a 99-2002 4Runner multimatic t-case/tranny combo IS AWD. It has the option for a center diff lock, which makes it 4WD. So if you swapped a multimatic tranny/t-case in, you would have the option of running in 2WD, AWD with the push of a button, or 4WD hi/low with the lever.
Again, I am not denying that this is a better option, but what do you think a donor 99-02 4runner drivetrain would cost? Possibly more than my wifes 05 Camry v6 SE would resell for...

Right now all of this is bench talk... I will run the 22re into the ground before I ditch it in favor of anything else. If I come across a Toyota drivetrain that will work better I'm there, but I really don't see that kind of hardware in my budget...