The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Ardent's Rear Bumper Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ardent's Rear Bumper Build

Okay. So let me start by saying that this is the first bumper I've built, and I had fun doing it. I think it turned out well, and I wanted to share my ideas. I am completely open to suggestions/comments about anything, just don't be mean.

Alright, so here's my original design as drawn by me with Google Sketchup:

You'll see that I varied a bit from the original design as I had to rework some things.

So I started with 2x5 tube .25 wall (I know really thick, should have gone with 3/8". But now I won't have to buy sandbags in the winter!) I started by cutting the two angles:

Next step was cutting the hole for the receiver. My wife helped:

Next, I capped the angled cuts:

Then I cut away the rear corners of the body to make room. This picture also shows where I ran the "brackets" through the valance, and on the outside of the frame. The brackets are 2x2" .25" wall tube.

Then I put it in place, centered it, and tacked the brackets on. The pulled it off and finished the welds.

Here's a close-up of one of the welds. Feel free to provide feedback. I'm using a Lincoln HD80, 110V flux core welder.

Now that the bumper could hold itself up, it was time for some more trimming...

Next came the rockers

So then we decided that it would be too harsh to have a straight 90 at the corners so we

I can run a bead!! (Sometimes)

Then came the gussets on the inside of the two rockers, and the outside of the brackets.

Nothing a little bondo wouldn't fix:

One last fit before paint:

Degreased, primed and painted. This picture also shows the support I ran between the rocker and the bracket:

Back home:

So all that's left is the d-rings and the hitch. I think i might have my buddy help me with those as he has a much stronger welder.

Thanks for looking and let me know what you think! I'm going to bed...

Last edited by Ardent; 03-24-2009 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:12 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Welds look pretty damn good.

Me thinks your material is a bit hefty, but thats deff not a problem..

Looks great dude

Old 03-22-2009, 10:21 PM

Its got a clean look to it
Old 03-22-2009, 10:53 PM

very nice!
Old 03-23-2009, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by scuba
Welds look pretty damn good.

Me thinks your material is a bit hefty, but thats deff not a problem..

Looks great dude

Yeah, I know the material is beefy, but I figure if I ever get rear-ended, they'll be the sorry ones... Them or my frame...

Thanks for the comments!
Old 03-23-2009, 09:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
looks good man, i like your style!!

it looks like the first one i built for my truck

Old 03-23-2009, 09:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
remind me of the the warn rear bumper. i really like that design... alot. you know.. ive a=got a bday coming up in december
Old 03-23-2009, 09:18 AM

91- Yeah, I like yours too. Just a bit of a twist on it. Where did you put your license plate though? I had to buy a cheap plate light so that I don't get pulled over at night. Also, did you do anything to reinforce the body at the wheel wells?

519- B-day huh? I'm afraid that the shipping to VA would break the bank, sorry.

Thanks for the kind comments!

Last edited by Ardent; 03-23-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ardent
91- Yeah, I like yours too. Just a bit of a twist on it. Where did you put your license plate though? I had to buy a cheap plate light so that I don't get pulled over at night. Also, did you do anything to reinforce the body at the wheel wells?
Thanks for the kind comments!

i built a license plate mount and welded it to some angle iron, that acts like a stinger. it goes in where your drop hitch would go.

no, i was debating on it but it seams fine. the inner fender thingy holds it in place pretty good.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:36 AM

looks good

The force is strong with you
Old 03-23-2009, 09:43 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by 4rnr
looks good

The force is strong with you
I agree...nice work.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:02 AM

Just an idea, why don't you drill out the spot welds holding your rear roll pan (valance) and just remove it completely. Then you could take your stock license plate lights and mount them to a license plate frame made from angle iron (Toyota1's idea), and use the trailer plug harness to power it up (which would make it removable for wheeling). Awesome build BTW.....
Old 03-23-2009, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
I agree...nice work.
Thanks Guys!
Old 03-23-2009, 10:11 AM

what size flux core wire are you using?
Old 03-23-2009, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by stepside trd
Just an idea, why don't you drill out the spot welds holding your rear roll pan (valance) and just remove it completely. Then you could take your stock license plate lights and mount them to a license plate frame made from angle iron (Toyota1's idea), and use the trailer plug harness to power it up (which would make it removable for wheeling). Awesome build BTW.....
Good idea, but I kinda like the look of the valance behind the bumper. I think it makes it looked more finished IMO. As far as the license plate and light, I think I'll stick with what I did. The original license lights don't have enough wire to be pulled out any further than the stock location. Mainly, I've already drilled the holes for the plate and light, so I don't feel like moving it now.

Thanks again!
Old 03-23-2009, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by georgiayota
what size flux core wire are you using?
.035 I was using some harbor freight stuff but it seemed to be mostly flux. The lincoln wire is much better.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Ardent
.035 I was using some harbor freight stuff but it seemed to be mostly flux. The lincoln wire is much better.

I buy the lincoln wire from lowes, I usually get the .035, but last time I got .030 and I don't like it at all.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by georgiayota
I buy the lincoln wire from lowes, I usually get the .035, but last time I got .030 and I don't like it at all.
Good to know. Home depot made me mad. They only had 1lb spools of the .035. A 10lb roll should be around $40 and a 1lb is $9. I needed it so I had to pay through the nose for the 1lb.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:34 AM

Dang that looks good. Some of the welds need more juice so they lay a little flatter not so much with the round lack of penetration so next time just crank that thing up and go lik hell... all in all your build is rad!!! oh another thing you might want to check out industrail source or air gas for welding supplies they can be pretty competitive with prices and if you say your in school and they will usually give you a nice discount!
Old 03-23-2009, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by slowncurious-87
Dang that looks good. Some of the welds need more juice so they lay a little flatter not so much with the round lack of penetration so next time just crank that thing up and go lik hell... all in all your build is rad!!! oh another thing you might want to check out industrail source or air gas for welding supplies they can be pretty competitive with prices and if you say your in school and they will usually give you a nice discount!
Thanks for the tips! I'll have to check out some of the industrial supply stores. They give discount for business students?

Quick Reply: Ardent's Rear Bumper Build