The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

3rd Gen Rear Bumper Plans w/ Pic!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 08:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by 44Runner
How touching Steve. Seriously, tear in my eye this very moment...

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAA HAAAAA HAAAA

STIR STIR STIR STIR STIR STIR STIR

Old 09-13-2003, 04:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got one locker in the rear, and hoping to have the ARB in the near future. I'm just messing with Steve, and not really talking any trash. I highly respect his opinion and others on this forum. I've learned a ton of useful stuff here.

Chris
Old 09-13-2003, 05:15 AM

pic with some dimensions & no tire carrier!

Here'a a pic with the materials that I plan to use. Exact dimensions are yet to come. This pic is withoug the tire carrier, which is probably the way I'm going to go, and just throw it in the back cargo area while wheeling.

Chris

Old 09-13-2003, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

Myself and Mike (SMR4Runner) have been working with Jeff Kelson over at Badland Toys and he's trying to come up with a 3rd gen bumper as well. Realizing that I don't want the tire on the roof, and that the tire carrier may turn out to be the most expensive part of the bumper, I'd considered just strapping down to the anchor points in the cargo area.

For those of you in "the know," how strong are those anchor points? They don't happen to bolt through the floor to the frame? I was thinking of just putting a couple of ratcheting cargo straps to hold the tire in place.
Old 09-13-2003, 07:28 AM

Mad Chemist-

I'm not too sure about the tie down points. They look just like the ones in my LC and I've ripped those out twice since I've been wheeling and used them to strap down my ARB fridge. Imagine my horror on Moab rim and I hear a loud thwack and I see my fridge in my rear view go up and over itself. Good think I have the rear Rhino Lined in my 80. Come to think of it, that may be the problem in mine... not enough thread engagement due to the extra material on the body.. hang on I'll go measure...

<5 mins later>

Nope. That's not it... I had full thread engagement... Maybe it's the leverage I'm putting on them w/ the angle of the ratcheing strap...

Hmm...

J
Old 09-13-2003, 07:39 AM

Originally posted by Mad Chemist
Myself and Mike (SMR4Runner) have been working with Jeff Kelson over at Badland Toys and he's trying to come up with a 3rd gen bumper as well. Realizing that I don't want the tire on the roof, and that the tire carrier may turn out to be the most expensive part of the bumper, I'd considered just strapping down to the anchor points in the cargo area.

For those of you in "the know," how strong are those anchor points? They don't happen to bolt through the floor to the frame? I was thinking of just putting a couple of ratcheting cargo straps to hold the tire in place.
If you are insistent on running the spare in the cargo area, here's a couple of tips.

1. Drill out those crappy stupid "rivnuts" (threaded sheet metal inserts) that the D-rings bolt in to the body with and replace the hardware with a 3/8" bolt and a nylock or Stover nut on the back (under) side of the body.

2. Run at least a 1 1/4" HD ratchet strap and X cross it over the tire. Strap it in TIGHT. Air down the spare to like 25 lb/psi so that it can flex a little under the draw of the straps.

Even though mine is temporary, these are the precautions I took. Remember that if you do happen to get in an accident, and if that tire dislodges it becomes a 30whatever" 50 - 80 lb missile. Engineers can tell you all about the physics behind impact, force, mass and velocity (I'd figure out the exactitudes and post an equation but I'm busy screwing around on the 'net right now instead of working) it's scary... My spare goes on a bumper mounted rack when I get to the point of building mine. I'll not be a jackass engineer this time. I'm too anal and I'd probably spend more time figuring out FMEA and FEA of the stupid thing in a 3D Model instead of just hilljackin' it and get back there and design with no paper / CAD.

Mike
Old 09-13-2003, 02:16 PM

I've decided after today's wheeling trip that I'm going to put it in the rear cargo area, and make the rear bumper as plain and simple as possible, basically just like the second picture.

Chris
Old 09-13-2003, 03:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If I read that correctly, you're using 1/4" thick tubing for the main beam? That's way too thick, it'll weigh a ton. I was going to go with 1/8" thick for my main beam but I chickened out at the last minute and went with 3/16". Allpro uses 1/8" for their bumper. At a minimum I'd use 1/8" and at a maximum I'd use 3/16" for the main beam.
Old 09-13-2003, 04:19 PM
Contributing Member

Mike,

Thanks for the tips. I've got a custom cargo box that I built in the back. I'll most likely end up with some typ of mount attaching the tire to the box, then both the box and tires will be strapped down nice and tight. I have nightmares of coming to an abrupt halt and having my head taken off by a rockcrawler rim. Not the way I want to leave this world- that involves the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders, but I digress...
Old 09-13-2003, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by Robinhood150
If I read that correctly, you're using 1/4" thick tubing for the main beam? That's way too thick, it'll weigh a ton. I was going to go with 1/8" thick for my main beam but I chickened out at the last minute and went with 3/16". Allpro uses 1/8" for their bumper. At a minimum I'd use 1/8" and at a maximum I'd use 3/16" for the main beam.
Well, I could use 3/16" like you have and have a bent rear bumper, or I could go with 1/4" tubing, and have a nice, strong, heavy bumper. I don't want that to come across wrong, but I don't see the benefit to running the 3/16" other than weight! And with me not doing the tire carrier, it's not going to be near as heavy as those with the tire carriers.

Chris
Old 09-13-2003, 05:16 PM
Contributing Member

My bumper took a beating on Upper Woodpecker today, I did all the "alternate" lines. I'm thinking I should have went with 3/8".

I took a few 85 4Runners along, they grinded as well. I find it amazing that a shiny new truck leads the 84-85 4Runners around the desert.

Run the thickness for the trials you run. My corners are down to 3/16" now and I started with 1/4". I'll run that trail many, many more times and it will grind down furhter.

Ryan Taylor lets go wheeling !!! You come out here every once in a while, I will show you Nirvana. Trails where you grind hard just to get through.
Old 09-13-2003, 05:31 PM

I've got pics and videos, but I can't seem to be able to transfer my video to the computer at all. Nothing major today, but had a great time. You have pics and vids Steve?

Chris
Old 09-13-2003, 05:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by ravencr
Well, I could use 3/16" like you have and have a bent rear bumper...Chris
No no, you misunderstand (I think). The carrier is bent at the hinge, not the bumper. And the only reason it's slightly bent is because I had the hilift mounted and about 75lbs of tools in the toolbox and jumped the truck multiple times out at the dunes. I didn't design it for jumping, didn't think about it.

Nothing is moving the bumper itself. It's solid. I can slam it with a sledgehammer and it won't do anything. Edit: I actually did the stress analysis on the bumper since it had to be strong enough for towing a trailer, but I didn't do too much with the carrier.

Last edited by Robinhood150; 09-13-2003 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-13-2003, 06:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Using 1/4 is heavy and rear bumper get weighty as it is.

Mine is 3/16 and it is plenty strong, it got beaten this summer with nothing but scratches.
Old 09-13-2003, 06:48 PM

Steve, you must be running some pretty hardcore stuff in that 4runner of yous, because all these other guys are saying that 1/4" is too thick, and you're considering going thicker in the future. Geez! What to do, what to do?

Chris
Old 09-13-2003, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

It is what it is. You have to grind to get through. Adrian did not ever make it to the squeeze on Upper Woodpecker, or his pretty bumper would have ground as well.

Mark in his 85 with 4" of lift and 33's ground his rear bumper worse than me.

Steve Hunt did as well. Mike Nevitt bypassed.

It is what it is.

1/8" is fine for Hollister Hills but not for the Desert of Death. Build it for where you wheel.

Why hasn't ANYONE frm back east come out here to wheel ???

:chicken: :chicken: :chicken: :chicken: :chicken:

I flew out there and ran GWNF. Meet me half way people, wheel my world.
Old 09-13-2003, 07:36 PM

Both places offer their own terrain conditions. Here in the east traction is the problem on rocks and rock hard surfaces with slimmy clay and moss all over it. I imagine out where you're at, traction isn't so much the problem, but rather great driving skills and no fear of wrecking the truck. Am I close?

Chris
Old 09-14-2003, 02:12 AM

Originally posted by sschaefer3

I flew out there and ran GWNF. Meet me half way people, wheel my world.
Honestly, if I came out to Arizona and you took me wheeling and we hit trails the caliber of GWNF I would have to kick your ass for wasting my time. I mean you do realize that is considered the lightest of the light, the bunny slope. Paragon and Tellico, now that is more like REAL east coast wheeling. Until you hit either of those parks (the hard parts), you can't say you've wheeled the east coast...
Old 09-14-2003, 04:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 44Runner
Honestly, if I came out to Arizona and you took me wheeling and we hit trails the caliber of GWNF I would have to kick your ass for wasting my time. I mean you do realize that is considered the lightest of the light, the bunny slope. Paragon and Tellico, now that is more like REAL east coast wheeling. Until you hit either of those parks (the hard parts), you can't say you've wheeled the east coast...
Dave, if you came out here, you would get the full monty. Lower Terminator with the white line and the "Z" Turn for sure.

Yellow Belly ledge in Martinez and of course you would be doing the "Fire Hole" all grinning ear to ear, just like that DRM guy from the Pirate board.

Here is a compromise: Why don't you meet us in Moab. Well worth the travel. I'll meet you on the Rubicon as well. Colorado has a mix of everything, I'll meet you there. Arizona, well now that's it own monster and obvioulsly I'll meet you here. You listed 2 good parks, I'm listing 4 good entire states. Come on dave, plan a trip out west, see the great ol USA.

Last edited by sschaefer3; 09-14-2003 at 04:57 AM.
Old 09-14-2003, 04:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ravencr
Both places offer their own terrain conditions. Here in the east traction is the problem on rocks and rock hard surfaces with slimmy clay and moss all over it. I imagine out where you're at, traction isn't so much the problem, but rather great driving skills and no fear of wrecking the truck. Am I close?

Chris
Yes. You have to be really careful and sometimes you have to drag stuff to get through.

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen Rear Bumper Plans w/ Pic!