The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

1985 Waggy 44 - If money were no object, how would you build it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A 3" body lift with a 3" drivetrain lift might help, though!

Chris
Old 06-07-2005, 06:18 PM

I heard it all right down to the first time I lock my hubs I'd blow my 44 with 38 swampers due to my driving habits. Well stock shafts and u joints almost a year later I'm still romping it. I'll let you know about the oil pan clearance issue as I'm going 60s in my rig. I just want more beef since I'm running harder and harder and plus I want the width and stability especially in Dayton
Old 06-07-2005, 06:37 PM

if sticking to 44 stuff

superior axles sound fine
CTM joints, ok
warn hubs, ok
ARB for sure

Not much mention of high steer
after market high steer knuckles
arms of your choice

I would go for the moderate shave. just grind about .5" off the bottom. Really easy and yes, it will make a difference.

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
Plan on a good $300-400 for all the Timken brearings and seals as well as new ball joints, which are a super pain to change, so plan on paying to have that done.
bearings are expensive, but ball joints are about as easy as it gets. every worthy weekend warrior needs a press, if you happen to not have one you will need help with this.

on the rear axle, i wouldn't trust it with 37s. granted I am using an 8" rear with 37s in the buggy it will weigh nearly 3 grand less. if you plan to run 37s I would definately look at getting a 60/9 out back....I am very serious.

Last edited by 44Runner; 06-07-2005 at 06:42 PM.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:39 AM
Joe
Contributing Member

[QUOTEThe 9" is the way to go.....I have 2 extra 9" axles laying in the yard that are perfect to cut into a fit d60 knuckles. As for a hi 9 I think I could just flip my diff and run reverse rotations and fabricate a oil spinner to fit the pinion. Currie enterprise has a nice Hi Pinion 9"[/QUOTE]

In case you really want to build up your ride using a HP 9” I thought you might want to know a couple more small details relative to a HP 9” 3rd member. Ya, you could go that way (flip the dif) as many others have done it. It still wouldn't be nearly as stout as the Hi9 that I referred you to. As for the Currie Enterprise 9", that puppy isn't in the same ballgame with the Hi9 as Currie uses the 8.8 in a 9" housing. The Currie is a fine 3rd member, no doubt about it, but if you're running high horsepower with large tires their 3rd member won't hold up and they will tell you this themselves and recommend that you go to the hi9 (Yes, this has ACTUALLY happened in the past, where Currie has sent people to Hi9 who want to install the 3rd member themselves and they were running 450+HP with huge tires and Hi9 has provided their 3rd members to people who have had Currie do the install) so if you're looking for a 1" to 1.5" more driveline clearance and a whole lot more strength in a high pinion 9" than a Currie setup offers, then you'll want to go to the Hi9. http://www.truehi9.com/ Just compare the 3rd bearing size between the two with a 35-spline axle and look at the case differences and you’ll see a big difference right there. I believe it's the Hi9 3rd member that has caused ARB to pull their 9" 35-spline locker off the market, as it wasn't holding up in the Hi9. Hopefully, it'll be back on the market in short order. The Hi9 guys were also responsible for ARB going to a better adjuster for 35-spline Ford 9" third members as their original adjuster was .014" to small and needed an additional 3 threads, so the Hi9 guys were using Strange Engineering adjusters on ARB lockers as Strange already had those dimensions in their adjusters. ARB quickly corrected this problem once the company was notified by Hi9, but have since run into "other" problems (Hi9 has suggested to them what adjustments need to be made to hold up to the Hi9.) relative to their locker holding up to this ass-kicking HP 9" from Hi9. Right now there isn’t a 3rd member on the market that even comes close to possessing the strength of the Hi9, so if you’ve got the bucks and want the best and strongest HP 9” on the market you only have one way to go – Hi9. (No, I’m not associated in any business manner with Hi9)
Old 06-08-2005, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by 44Runner
if sticking to 44 stuff

superior axles sound fine
CTM joints, ok
warn hubs, ok
ARB for sure

Not much mention of high steer
after market high steer knuckles
arms of your choice

I would go for the moderate shave. just grind about .5" off the bottom. Really easy and yes, it will make a difference.

bearings are expensive, but ball joints are about as easy as it gets. every worthy weekend warrior needs a press, if you happen to not have one you will need help with this.

on the rear axle, i wouldn't trust it with 37s. granted I am using an 8" rear with 37s in the buggy it will weigh nearly 3 grand less. if you plan to run 37s I would definately look at getting a 60/9 out back....I am very serious.
At this point, I may just stick the Q78 Swampers, which run 35.5" tall, which might be enough to take me everywhere I want to go. Not sure yet, though!

Chris
Old 06-08-2005, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Joe
In case you really want to build up your ride using a HP 9” I thought you might want to know a couple more small details relative to a HP 9” 3rd member. Ya, you could go that way (flip the dif) as many others have done it. It still wouldn't be nearly as stout as the Hi9 that I referred you to. As for the Currie Enterprise 9", that puppy isn't in the same ballgame with the Hi9 as Currie uses the 8.8 in a 9" housing. The Currie is a fine 3rd member, no doubt about it, but if you're running high horsepower with large tires their 3rd member won't hold up and they will tell you this themselves and recommend that you go to the hi9 (Yes, this has ACTUALLY happened in the past, where Currie has sent people to Hi9 who want to install the 3rd member themselves and they were running 450+HP with huge tires and Hi9 has provided their 3rd members to people who have had Currie do the install) so if you're looking for a 1" to 1.5" more driveline clearance and a whole lot more strength in a high pinion 9" than a Currie setup offers, then you'll want to go to the Hi9. http://www.truehi9.com/ Just compare the 3rd bearing size between the two with a 35-spline axle and look at the case differences and you’ll see a big difference right there. I believe it's the Hi9 3rd member that has caused ARB to pull their 9" 35-spline locker off the market, as it wasn't holding up in the Hi9. Hopefully, it'll be back on the market in short order. The Hi9 guys were also responsible for ARB going to a better adjuster for 35-spline Ford 9" third members as their original adjuster was .014" to small and needed an additional 3 threads, so the Hi9 guys were using Strange Engineering adjusters on ARB lockers as Strange already had those dimensions in their adjusters. ARB quickly corrected this problem once the company was notified by Hi9, but have since run into "other" problems (Hi9 has suggested to them what adjustments need to be made to hold up to the Hi9.) relative to their locker holding up to this ass-kicking HP 9" from Hi9. Right now there isn’t a 3rd member on the market that even comes close to possessing the strength of the Hi9, so if you’ve got the bucks and want the best and strongest HP 9” on the market you only have one way to go – Hi9. (No, I’m not associated in any business manner with Hi9)
So, do they make complete axles to go with this awesome third member?

Steve, do you know the total price of all the parts you put into the front axle of yours with your entire axle parts list? I'm guessing that if the price is roughly similar or only slightly more to have a company like Hi9 put together a stronger, higher clearance axle, why not just have them build and save me the headache and time??

Chris
Old 06-08-2005, 04:16 PM
Joe
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ravencr
So, do they make complete axles to go with this awesome third member?
Steve, do you know the total price of all the parts you put into the front axle of yours with your entire axle parts list? I'm guessing that if the price is roughly similar or only slightly more to have a company like Hi9 put together a stronger, higher clearance axle, why not just have them build and save me the headache and time??Chris
I think this thread is getting hijacked pretty good.

I don't think they have built any complete axles for 3rd member "customers" per se, but I have seen a couple rear axles that they have built for a few people (associates) and Mike is just about done with a 31-spline front axle for a Jeep. I could run over there tomorrow and take a couple photos of the "obscene axle tubes" they are welding onto the 9" housing if you want. (The wall thickness of the DOM looks like it’s 3/8”!) This particular 31-spline unit is going on the front of a "modified" Jeep Rubicon - I have no idea why it's being built this strong as this jeep is a lightweight. The reason this 3rd member is gaining popularity is because it can be exchanged in existing 9” axle housings at a great price and if one wants to build up a Hi9 axle he can do so with junk yard parts (that’s 31-spline axles) and it’s cheaper than hell going that route. Now the 35-spline is a different story as everything gets real pricey fast. I don’t think the 35-spline price will be anywhere close to a tricked out D44. This year Jason Pauley will be running four Hi9’s in competition, as I guess he’s tired of breaking. He didn’t get the axles free for promotional considerations either – he paid for them, which is kinds outta the norm for most winning competitors, so I have to assume he’s a believer in their 3rd member. Having Hi9 build the entire axle would be very expensive in my opinion but you could call them to check it out yourself and tell Mike just what you want – he’s the fabricator while Chris is the differential gruru. Chris will only assemble the 3rd member – if there’s anything else needed, it’ll be done by Mike, if it’s done at all. Mike has come up with several great quick-change ideas and has them perfected.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Joe
I think this thread is getting hijacked pretty good.

I don't think they have built any complete axles for 3rd member "customers" per se, but I have seen a couple rear axles that they have built for a few people (associates) and Mike is just about done with a 31-spline front axle for a Jeep. I could run over there tomorrow and take a couple photos of the "obscene axle tubes" they are welding onto the 9" housing if you want. (The wall thickness of the DOM looks like it’s 3/8”!) This particular 31-spline unit is going on the front of a "modified" Jeep Rubicon - I have no idea why it's being built this strong as this jeep is a lightweight. The reason this 3rd member is gaining popularity is because it can be exchanged in existing 9” axle housings at a great price and if one wants to build up a Hi9 axle he can do so with junk yard parts (that’s 31-spline axles) and it’s cheaper than hell going that route. Now the 35-spline is a different story as everything gets real pricey fast. I don’t think the 35-spline price will be anywhere close to a tricked out D44. This year Jason Pauley will be running four Hi9’s in competition, as I guess he’s tired of breaking. He didn’t get the axles free for promotional considerations either – he paid for them, which is kinds outta the norm for most winning competitors, so I have to assume he’s a believer in their 3rd member. Having Hi9 build the entire axle would be very expensive in my opinion but you could call them to check it out yourself and tell Mike just what you want – he’s the fabricator while Chris is the differential gruru. Chris will only assemble the 3rd member – if there’s anything else needed, it’ll be done by Mike, if it’s done at all. Mike has come up with several great quick-change ideas and has them perfected.
I don't think it's getting hijacked. I think it's a great thread for those looking to do an axle swap into our trucks. It's good know to know all our options.

Chris
Old 06-09-2005, 09:07 PM

i disagree, 37s are jack squat for a toy rear. i have seen guys hammering down with full bodied 4runner's on 40" tires and the toy rear doesnt budge

really though, the shafts are 30% stronger than a D44
Old 06-09-2005, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Napoleon047
i disagree, 37s are jack squat for a toy rear. i have seen guys hammering down with full bodied 4runner's on 40" tires and the toy rear doesnt budge

really though, the shafts are 30% stronger than a D44
really though, when did I say I was worried about the shafts?

I agree, the shafts would be fine, the R&P is what I would be worrying about especially if he drives like people say he does.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:29 AM

really though, when did I say I was worried about the shafts?

I agree, the shafts would be fine, the R&P is what I would be worrying about especially if he drives like people say he does.
I don't drive crazy, I just try harder stuff than most. It doesn't mean I don't know how to drive, got a lead foot or anything like that. I've only broke one CV, and that was because I was using my brakes to get the one wheel started and I pressed the brakes to the floor by accident and it popped.

Chris