The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

1985 Waggy 44 - If money were no object, how would you build it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 09:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ravencr
Ah, gotcha! Do you think with his setup I can run 37" tires without worying about breaking?

Chris
You will be able to get by with stock shafts and 37's for a little while if you drive carefully, maybe longer. It would give you time to save for alloy's and CTM's, while at the same time giving you seat time with something that isnt unbreakable, which is always a good thing.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:51 AM
Banned

He doesn't have CTM's or cro-mo axles, so I'll definitely talk to him, but I think Steve has the most modified front axle I'ev heard about yet!

Chris
but do you really need to sink that much $$ into the axle, with your driving style i wouldnt, that and im a cheap ass, you did just about everything that you wanted to do at tellico on your ifs, sides if you really wheeled your truck to where you needed that extra $$ in the axle, you would be better off getting a hendrix buggy rather than trashing your 3rd gen, look at me ive still got a stock toy axle in the front and have yet to snap a stock birf on 35's
Old 05-26-2005, 10:47 AM

This is all true, but I like to do things overkill in most situations.

Chris
Old 05-26-2005, 10:51 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris
except for your rear bumper... oh, and your tires...
Old 05-26-2005, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by bamachem
except for your rear bumper... oh, and your tires...
Ok, I'll give you the fact that my tires aren't the most aggressive things in the world, but it hasn't stopped me yet. Also, my bumper is plenty. Do you think it's wimpy or something?

Chris
Old 05-26-2005, 11:13 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, I'll give you the fact that my tires aren't the most aggressive things in the world, but it hasn't stopped me yet. Also, my bumper is plenty. Do you think it's wimpy or something?

Chris
no, not wimpy, just INCOMPLETE...
Old 05-26-2005, 04:29 PM
Banned

Chris
overkill is good when you have more money than sence, but id say live with in the means and have a good time with it, but if i could afford it id go mog or vovlo portal axles and be done with it
Old 05-26-2005, 07:25 PM
Contributing Member

Also, my bumper is plenty. Do you think it's wimpy or something?
I would bet he's refering to it not being finished...kind of like mine
Old 05-27-2005, 03:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Albuquerque Jim
I would bet he's refering to it not being finished...kind of like mine
Are you saying that bar you have next to your rear bumper is not the finished product?
Old 05-27-2005, 04:06 AM

Ok, back on topic, please!

Chris

P.S. This could be a good thread for those looking to have the ultimate Dana 44 front end if we stay on topic.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:00 AM
Contributing Member

What more do you need to know? Yukon has a set of Cro-Mo axles but they are made in India, supposed to be better than stock, but the quality is questonable.

Why did I go so strong. I hate fixing things on the trail. Plain and simple, I don't ever want to break.

Also breaking in the Arizona desert with no water around, 105+ heat, 50+ miles from a paved road and people dieing daily from exposure is not the same as breaking in a 4X4 Park.

You do what you have to do. I think staying "alive" in the brutal Sonoan Desert makes alot of "sence" to me.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
What more do you need to know? Yukon has a set of Cro-Mo axles but they are made in India, supposed to be better than stock, but the quality is questonable.

Why did I go so strong. I hate fixing things on the trail. Plain and simple, I don't ever want to break.

Also breaking in the Arizona desert with no water around, 105+ heat, 50+ miles from a paved road and people dieing daily from exposure is not the same as breaking in a 4X4 Park.

You do what you have to do. I think staying "alive" in the brutal Sonoan Desert makes alot of "sence" to me.
I agree Steve! I guess the only other thing I was curious about is shaving the axle down a tad to add clearance. What are your thoughts on that, and is it even possible on these axles like out rear axles?

Chris
Old 05-27-2005, 06:13 AM
Contributing Member

I don't know. There is a High Pinion Ford Dana 44 but you will have to get it shortened.

Personally with 35's I have not had a problem with the Dana 44 Pumpkin and I have had it down three 4/5 trails so far.

I think at this point, you need to finish that rear bumper and lay down the 150 bones for the axle and start cleaning.

It is going to take alot of time to clean that thing up.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
I don't know. There is a High Pinion Ford Dana 44 but you will have to get it shortened.

Personally with 35's I have not had a problem with the Dana 44 Pumpkin and I have had it down three 4/5 trails so far.

I think at this point, you need to finish that rear bumper and lay down the 150 bones for the axle and start cleaning.

It is going to take alot of time to clean that thing up.
Fair enough! Thanks for all the help as usual!

Chris
Old 05-27-2005, 05:50 PM

if money were no object, i would go for one of these:

but then again, thats just me.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:22 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by redplastic2p3t
...look at me ive still got a stock toy axle in the front and have yet to snap a stock birf on 35's
...save your pennies and get the chromos (Longfields) and then you won't have to worry about YET!

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 05-27-2005 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Napoleon047

Its not just you, i would take one of those over a 44 any day.
Old 05-28-2005, 04:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Napoleon047

Originally Posted by joez
Its not just you, i would take one of those over a 44 any day.
Just out of curiosity, what makes the FROR housing and birfs more attractive to you guys than a 44? I am a straight axle newb and this is a question that popped into my head yesterday when I was looking at the sites for Dynatrac and FROR.
Old 05-28-2005, 07:30 AM

Don't forget the knuckles.......
Old 05-28-2005, 06:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bighead
Just out of curiosity, what makes the FROR housing and birfs more attractive to you guys than a 44? I am a straight axle newb and this is a question that popped into my head yesterday when I was looking at the sites for Dynatrac and FROR.
Honestly for me just a Toy axle is more appealing than a 44, doesnt have to be the diamond housing. The advantage of the diamond, IMHO, is that they can make it driver side drop and still accept stock length inners.

Toy axles have better ground clearance, they are easier to setup crossover or high steer, they dont have ball joints, have stronger hubs IMHO, and aftermarket shafts are cheaper. A set of 30 spline chromoly Longfields are only $635 shipped to your door, significantly less than Superiors and CTM's for a 44. 27 spliner's, which are plenty strong for 99% of people out there, are $585 shipped.

Both axles have thier advantages, and both have their downfalls. It really comes down to personal preference, and what you need. I like my Toy stuff, especially now with what Bobby Long has done with the birfields. If i was building an axle for a 3rd gen, i would probobally build a 44. I would rather have a Diamond housing with Toy stuff, but $900 for just a housing is a lot of money. If money were no object at all, then i would do the diamond housing.

Last edited by joez; 05-28-2005 at 06:57 PM.

Quick Reply: 1985 Waggy 44 - If money were no object, how would you build it?