4Runners-1st gen Post your 1st gens here

Me first!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 06:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Me first!

Well, somebody's gotta be first.

Dangit! Gotta figure out where I went wrong. I'll be back.

OK, copied the WHOLE address this time.

I'm back again. Here's my truck story:
Purchased in the spring of 1993 with about 45K on the odo. Previous owner owned a Firestone service center. He was very good about taking care of the vehicle, but used the same crappy materials the Firestone center used. Everything was still stock except for this gawdawfull light bar on the front - took that off the first night. Since then I've added about 140K miles with only a few problems. A valve cover gasket blew and made a real mess and I had to have the tranny solenoids replaced. Most recently I had the injectors replaced because one was leaking and another was cracked and about to leak. Everything else has been relatively minor - just maintenance items, really.
I've upgraded items when they needed replacing and I had the $ - shock, steering stabilizer, brakes... and added extended differential breathers, extra tie-downs in the back, 6x9 speakers, AM/FM/CD and a custom roof rack - part Yakima, part Thule, part Rogers (me!).
Future plans are to upgrade the alternator with the mobi-arc kit and install an electric fan, probably from a Taurus. Dreams include engine work (maybe a 3.4L when the 3.slow dies), front & rear air lockers and a couple of inches of lift.
Dreams will probably have to wait awhile since I'll probably have a low-paying, but fun, ski job through April. Hope the Runner can make it up the hill every day!!

Update - 07/10/04. Made it through the winter with no problems. I'm now at 198K miles and counting. I recently added Rancho's Soft-Ride Add-A-Leafs to the rear - made a big difference in ride and handling (& appearance!). I also had all 4 tires replaced under tread-wear warranty - 13K miles on the Dunlop Radial Rover AT's and they were down to 4/32nds. Dunlop paid for most of the replacements - Radial Rover RV XT - and I'm pretty satisfied with them so far. Traction is excellent and they aren't showing any wear after 7500 miles.

Please abide by the administration's rules of this section and DO NOT post in this thread

Last edited by Good Times; 08-16-2005 at 03:36 PM.