Arizona Arizona Chapter

Log Corral Run on 9/6

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 10:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AZ4ME
Anyway, if you want to run something this weekend also, let me know. I should be free.
me too
Old 08-25-2008, 10:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll assume you mean 9/6 and not 6/9. Maybe you will be free on 6/9 and have it planned out that far in advance. Anyway, if you want to run something this weekend also, let me know. I should be free.
Got Glass?
Old 08-25-2008, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
Got Glass?
Lexan. We'll see how it works out. It's pretty plyable so I think I'm going to need some sort of support bar up the middle.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Ooops... yes, 9/6 is what I was thinking.

But, if you guys want to try it this weekend instead, I'd be in.

Saturday or Sunday?

Anyone want to run Rocker Panel after or one of the other options I listed?
Old 08-26-2008, 05:20 AM
Contributing Member

I can go 9/6 but not this weekend.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:39 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm heading out of town for the long weekend, will be around 9/6.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:11 AM

I am out of town this weekend and will not be available on 9/6, but dont wait for me to run any of these trails. I will get out soon with everyone
Old 08-26-2008, 07:19 AM

I'd like to be out of town this w/e but I don't have a solid plan yet. If something doesn't firm up by say Thursday, I'd be up for anything you think you could drag me through. I can do Sat or Sun with Sun being the better of the 2.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:29 AM

9/6 would work for me as well. My vote for the trail to run is LC to Sunflower.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by kent
My vote for the trail to run is LC to Sunflower.
Yeah, I like that idea as well.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:57 AM
Contributing Member

Let's plan this run for 9/6 then. I'll update the first thread with the date.

LC to Sunflower is an interesting run but not super exciting. There is an amazing canyon on the way that is much bigger than expected, but the level of technical driving is low. Doing Sunflower after would make for a nice long day of trail however.

I am open to all the options I listed, so we can just figure it out as we go along.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Elvota
Let's plan this run for 9/6 then. I'll update the first thread with the date.

I am open to all the options I listed, so we can just figure it out as we go along.
Cool. Now I still need something to do this w/e.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:45 AM

Ooops... yes, 9/6 is what I was thinking.

But, if you guys want to try it this weekend instead, I'd be in.

Saturday or Sunday?

Anyone want to run Rocker Panel after or one of the other options I listed?
My comment was to plan the Log Corral run on 9/6, and since you said you were free this coming Labor Day weekend also (if you still are), and I don't have much going on, if you wanted to get out and run something this weekend too, I would be available. I think that is what Mike was referring to also. After the Log Corral run, I'll probably need to take a hiatus for a bit. Gotta get out now as much as possible.

Last edited by AZ4ME; 08-26-2008 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:03 AM

Elvota - I was looking at maps and thinking about how to incorporate Log Corral, Rocker Panel and that trail from the top of the pass, above Rocker Panel that drops into that basin...

You could run Log Corral, starting at the Verde, cross river, down Log Corral until you hit Sycamore, then go right - down Sycamore until you hit the turnoff out of Sycamore and go up Rocker Panel to the top of the pass then take the turnoff toward the water hole basin area...if that makes sense.

That trail to the water hole area was really cool I thought, and relatively untraveled too.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:20 AM
Contributing Member

My comment was to plan the Log Corral run on 9/6, and since you said you were free this coming Labor Day weekend also (if you still are), and I don't have much going on, if you wanted to get out and run something this weekend too, I would be available. I think that is what Mike was referring to also.
I am not sure about this weekend. I'd actually like to get out and do more of an "EXPO" type trip. A few days with some camping. Hit the Rim with the dog, some hiking... maybe end up coming back through Prescott and running DeSoto or what have you.

Originally Posted by westy44runner
You could run Log Corral, starting at the Verde, cross river, down Log Corral until you hit Sycamore, then go right - down Sycamore until you hit the turnoff out of Sycamore and go up Rocker Panel to the top of the pass then take the turnoff toward the water hole basin area...if that makes sense.
That would be a great idea. Wonder how deep the Verde is right now? Actually, I wonder if the lake level effects the access road at all... especially that one off camber pinch point.

I am concerned about the last trail to the tank though. With the rain, my guess is that the tank will be full once more. I drug Schaefer, Mike and Brian (among others) to that tank the other month with hope of finding a way around. The end result was not as smooth as Google Earth implied it might be.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:16 PM

Oh yeah. I forgot about "but it went through on GoogleEarth".
Old 08-26-2008, 01:19 PM

I am not sure about this weekend. I'd actually like to get out and do more of an "EXPO" type trip. A few days with some camping. Hit the Rim with the dog, some hiking... maybe end up coming back through Prescott and running DeSoto or what have you.

That would be a great idea. Wonder how deep the Verde is right now? Actually, I wonder if the lake level effects the access road at all... especially that one off camber pinch point.

I am concerned about the last trail to the tank though. With the rain, my guess is that the tank will be full once more. I drug Schaefer, Mike and Brian (among others) to that tank the other month with hope of finding a way around. The end result was not as smooth as Google Earth implied it might be.
I am unsure how the lake level would affect the trail...I have not been there when the lake is really full. Crossing the river will not be a problem right now.

The Verde is flowing under 100 CFS right now and wont change much even with the rain because of the dam at Bartlett.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/az/nwis/uv...cd=00065,00060

You are right, I bet the tank is full, but only one way to find that out

If the tank is passable, then you can meander back toward the Verde (assuming its not bird breeding season!!) or out toward Lower Sycamore...just not north to that 'black jungle' place.

Another thing to keep in mind is Sycamore Creek, that could pose the greatest challenge of the day. Be sure to wade it first.

I still think there is some way to connect that tank area to Log Corral...we just need to explore a bit more!

Last edited by westy44runner; 08-26-2008 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:31 PM

So what's the dealio? We meeting Sat morning at 7:30AM and then taking off at 8:00AM? Is that the plan?
Old 09-02-2008, 01:47 PM
Contributing Member

So what's the dealio? We meeting Sat morning at 7:30AM and then taking off at 8:00AM? Is that the plan?
Yes... and maybe.

I think 7:30 at the Shea and HWY 87 Arby's would be fine.

I broke my front PS spring last weekend and have a new pair on order. My guess is they will be here in time to be installed for the run, but won't know for sure until later in the week.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:05 PM

Yes... and maybe.

I think 7:30 at the Shea and HWY 87 Arby's would be fine.

I broke my front PS spring last weekend and have a new pair on order. My guess is they will be here in time to be installed for the run, but won't know for sure until later in the week.

Doing a bunch of jumps at the dunes?

Quick Reply: Log Corral Run on 9/6