Arizona Arizona Chapter

Engine shops in arizona?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine shops in arizona?

Ive got a 95 4runner with a blown head gasket. Looking for a reman/rebuild shop to install it. Lots of shady shops in phoenix area, looking to stay as cheap as possible. Thanks

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 06-18-2009 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling
Old 06-07-2009, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by westsideian
Ive got a 95 4runner with a blown head gasket. Looking for a reman/rebuild shop to install it. Lots of shady shops in phoenix area, looking to stay as cheap as possible. Thanks
I was reading on ttora that some people up in phoenix had good luck with autospec, looks like a good deal to me.

heres the links I was looking at
http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124518
http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131515
Old 06-07-2009, 11:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
friend just bought one from A+ motors in the phx area. haven't put it in yet.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:55 AM

Check out Curts Auto Repair off of Bell Rd., east of the I-17. They changed my cylinder head back in February and they did my friends timing belt too. I've had a good experience with them.

http://www.mycarhurts.com/
Old 06-10-2009, 05:19 PM

yeah i had already called the guys at a+.... they quoted me a price on tuesday for the motor and the install. i called back on thursday to let them know i would be bringing it down and the prices for everything were different than i was originally quoted. what a ripoff. i stopped by autospec yesterday and they will be doing the swap... hope this works out cause i really want this thing back on the road
Old 06-10-2009, 09:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Please update on how that works out for you.

I have a burned valve and am deciding what to do while biding my time. I've run across Autospec while searching. I don't know anything about them, but I haven't seen anything negative.

Any recommendations for machine shops, particularly in the west valley?

Last edited by flyingbrass; 06-10-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:09 PM

well turns out i will NEVER recommend A+ so forget i even mentioned them in almost a positive light. my friend got the motor back up here (3 hrs away). found that it had no timing cover/gears/chain installed. so we install it etc. try to hand crank over the block and the pistons hit the head. they must have put longer connecting rods in there and not the crank to match it. so what a waste of a day. have to wait until monday to talk to anyone at the shop. so we will see how they handle this. luckily i have an extra truck that my buddie could drive home (1 hr away) with the crap built motor.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:19 PM

that sucks!

hopefully they make it right for you guys. autospec has the runner and are working on it now. should have it back towards the end of next week.... will post updates.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I had mine done at Giddyup a couple years ago. I had an oil leak afterwards and they would not even honor their warranty. Thankfully, it turned out the oil leak was because they did not screw on the oil back plate tight enough. You would think they would check that. Since then, they changed their name and their address. Kind of a shady place. The mechanic's name was Grant.

In Flagstaff, I have had good luck with Flagstaff Engine. You have to bring the engine to them though. Not too bad with a 22RE.

JARED
Old 09-01-2009, 11:26 PM

My pickup blew the head gasket, and I'm considering options.

Any updates or further info about Autospec?
Old 09-01-2009, 11:54 PM

Got my rebuilt engine from autospec. 22re. Guy who owns it is Korean Paul I think is his name? (or some area like that) I was gonna do the rebuild myself but a new rebuilt engine was 600$ with a 2 year warentee and I just gave him my old engine and head. My head was rubbish and I didnt wanna hassle with it. The price for a new head was like 360 from ENGNBLDR Paul just charged me 170 extra so I was happy there. So it was 770$ out the door with a 2 year warrentee. Which is dang skippy! The engine only has 100 or so miles on it but so far so good!

I myself was a little skeptical about it all but I have nothing but good things to report from them!
Old 10-09-2009, 06:25 AM

TWO AND A HALF MONTHS! autospec @ 1702 w hatcher takes forever, one excuse after the other. incomplete work which turned into wasted trips for me to pick it up. prices are good, but you get what you pay for. after 5 weeks i went to pick up my truck because they told me it was ready. i set up a ride to get there, took time off work, all to pick up my truck that would not stay running. it was stumbling pretty bad. there was barely enough oil in the motor to read on the dipstick. I told them to fix it and left even more disgusted than before.they ended up pulling the motor back out as it had blown the new head gasket! I wouldnt mind the extra time it took them to fix the truck if it was done right. I never once through the whole repair ,received one phone call from these people. so i would call them on a monday, he would tell me thursday, i would call thursday morning to hear their excuses. Waiting for parts, entire shop out with swine flu, waiting for parts again. i actually drove by a couple times to see if my truck was still there. also they had hit my truck with a red car which left a long scuff down the front passenger door. it did come off with a little rubbing compound, but that is besides the point. finally after two and a half months i was able to pick up my truck. It runs ok, i still have a lot of things i want to replace or upgrade. I should have went to five star and spent the extra money. do not go here, its not worth the hassle, and also the peace of mind knowing that your engine isnt going to last due to poor workmanship.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:14 PM

Looks like a serious outfit. Almost makes me wish I lived in Tucson.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:01 PM

I purchased my rebuilt 22re from Autospec (his name is Palm to correct a prvious post) and i dont have a lot of good to say. I paid 600 for the motor and installed it myself. I traded my blown 22re as a core {scheduled an appointment to drop it off} and expecting to pick up my cash instead was told i would recieve a check the following friday for 300$. Well 2 months later I DID recieve the check and all was good. I have put 9k on it so far other than he installed what my mechanic believes is a bum cam (?or something ) , the top end will not quiet down after numerous attempts to set valve lash. He is honoring his 2 year warranty as said tho so this weekend i will drive back to Phoenix to solve the problem at least i hope so. Other than this it runs like a champ
Old 11-29-2009, 12:28 PM

i did work with autospec with my 81, 1 week, 1 brand new engine totally ready to go, my 4runner on the other hand, 1 month, ready to go, kinda halfed on few small things, not as good as the 81 a few years ago, paid 1200 for a rebuilt installed and all
Old 01-17-2011, 09:28 PM

Just had a friend who got a motor from Autospec. Overall we can say we are very happy with the experience. $1000 for a new motor installed. Runs great very strong and has a 2 year warranty.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:26 PM

just got mine from Engine House in phx, long block has 36 mo, 100,000 mile warranty, have been in business since '79, very knowledgeable, trustworthy, and fairly quick, rebuily my 3.0 in about a week, they had to find a new crank core so that slowed it down a bit im sure, great guys, A+ rating from BBB.

http://www.bbb.org/central-northern-...oenix-az-1734/
Old 01-21-2011, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by az_eaglescout_pilot
just got mine from Engine House in phx, long block has 36 mo, 100,000 mile warranty, have been in business since '79, very knowledgeable, trustworthy, and fairly quick, rebuily my 3.0 in about a week, they had to find a new crank core so that slowed it down a bit im sure, great guys, A+ rating from BBB.

http://www.bbb.org/central-northern-...oenix-az-1734/
Good post...Thanks for the info...I might need them soon enough.

-Ted
Old 01-21-2011, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by AZkid
i did work with autospec with my 81, 1 week, 1 brand new engine totally ready to go, my 4runner on the other hand, 1 month, ready to go, kinda halfed on few small things, not as good as the 81 a few years ago, paid 1200 for a rebuilt installed and all
well as of now, i have over 30k on my motor since the last post. it has been a great motor so far. its only come up with 2 problems. the famous oil leak, and some bad injectors.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:27 PM

I get all my machine work done by Morrison's over on 54th ave and Glendale. Ive been using them for about 2 years now and Ive known people using them for about 10 years. Very trustworthy bunch of guys. Right now im in the process of rebuilding my 3vze .30 over. Talk to Doug and he will take care of anyone! A+ in my book.

Quick Reply: Engine shops in arizona?