Arizona Arizona Chapter

Elvis & Martinez Trail Run (August)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 04:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by AZ4ME
So the only damage was to the Rover and Jon's 4runner?
Well, I crushed my license plate again... any points for that?

How was the trail harder?
Some parts were harder, some easier. The first obstacle for example was filled in with sand, and seemed about 2 or 3 feet lower. The J-Turn on the other hand was a mess, most likely impassable by most. No one tried it this time, but that might have been from the heat or all the wasps waiting there.

Overall, just seemed like more exposed rocks and looser bigger boulders.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Ben was taking loads of pics - I didn't have a camera so I'm looking forward to seeing them as well.

The rain really changed things around on Elvis, and on what we saw of Martinez as well. At least from the only time I was there before. I honestly have a new respect for the rain and what it can do to trail conditions. The only thing that was easier was the squeeze as it was filled in a little more, I pretty much sailed right through with no spotter this time. Everything else seemed to have the smaller debris washed away, so basically all the rocks and obstacles seemed "bigger". The waterfall after the squeeze was taller and undercut on the right side of the hard line. Westy suggested the middle line for me, but I thought I'd give the left line a shot anyway... <buzzer> WRONG. I think the angle is now sharper than the waterfall at Miners Revenge. A couple attempts there are where I actually dented the Irbis bumper and bent the tire carrier up. After Elvota winched me over (thanks!) and I turned the corner, a huge rock monster jumped out of the sand and lifted my truck by the muffler & rear link. I was going nowhere. My hi-lift got its first workout. Wasn't the last time I needed pulled out... the rock garden was brutal (for me). We turned around right after the rock garden as it was getting late in the day.

Nobody else besides me and Grady had any damage that I know of.

Wish you could have made it, Brian.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Elvota
Been there. Done that. Bring us something fresh. No points for you! (in my best soup Nazi voice)
Old 08-18-2008, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 111db
Wasn't the last time I needed pulled out... the rock garden was brutal (for me). We turned around right after the rock garden as it was getting late in the day.
So you guys only made it through the rock garden at the beginning of Martinez and then turned back? What time did you get to Martinez then? Long day on Elvis?

Originally Posted by Elvota
Ya, no points. We've all seen that many times. I'm surprised it's still in one piece.

Last edited by AZ4ME; 08-18-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:43 PM

Here we go with some pics guys... Sorry I'm not too big on the commentary.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:54 PM

(Notice the lack of "Tug" pictures)
Old 08-18-2008, 07:10 PM

So who lost the wheel? That trail must of changed alot since I took my 4runner on it. Jon was that a stock link you bent?

Hopefully, I'll be joining back up you guys for another run in the not to distance future. Just need to get a suspension problem worked out, water pump gasket replaced, fiqure out the mysterious fuel problem that occurs at random and fix an a/c condenser leak fixed, bend both skids back into place or just by another vehicle.

Last edited by wormhole; 08-18-2008 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by wormhole
So who lost the wheel?
That was from the tire carrier on Jon's rear bumper. When he lined up for the waterfall after the squeeze, the tire on the carrier was dragging on the ground, it was that steep, and bending the plate it mounted against. We had to remove the tire so he could go forward/reverse.

Elvis is more washed out than ever before and most of the obstacles are taller and some are extremely flooded out after the rains.

The best move of the day goes to Jon, when he happened to find the largest boulder in an otherwise smooth open wash and drive straight over it

But that was just the beginning, after he realized his rear axle was sitting on a rather large rock, he was able to find a little traction and with the help of that 3.4 he nearly pulled a 180 while still sitting on top of this rock. It really was great That poor link...you almost spun around off the rock.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:41 PM

So you guys only made it through the rock garden at the beginning of Martinez and then turned back? What time did you get to Martinez then? Long day on Elvis?

Ya, no points. We've all seen that many times. I'm surprised it's still in one piece.
It was a long day on Elvis. We didn't arrive at Martinez until later in the afternoon. It was 5pm when we were at the top of the rock garden. We turned around there and headed back. That was a good choice.

Ben has many photos and I will try to get them from him to post up soon.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BLKNBLU
Been there. Done that. Bring us something fresh. No points for you! (in my best soup Nazi voice)
Man, you judges are tougher than those over there in Bejing. I had to take it off this time and flatten it with a sledghammer when I got home. That's gotta be worth a couple points.

Originally Posted by 111db
After Elvota winched me over (thanks!) and I turned the corner, a huge rock monster jumped out of the sand and lifted my truck by the muffler & rear link. I was going nowhere.
No problem Jon. Was kinda fun seeing what that winch could do... plus good practice for us all. In regards to that rock, it's not that you weren't going anywhere, just going the wrong way. Pretty amazing not more damage occurred. Hail the 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by Red Rover
(Notice the lack of "Tug" pictures)
We ended up tugging another group of guys out of the sand before we got back to the asphalt. My rear bumper has been thoroughly tested at this point.

Since I don't see Schaefer posting up... have we all assumed the propane held up all the way home? If not, my guess is one very confused AAA guy showed up to try and help.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:21 PM
Contributing Member

I made it back, but that new engine does burn a lot more fuel. I am worried it will run out going to get filled up which is only like 3 miles away.

The second tank is really empty. Which did not happen before even going to superior and back. I think this motor does have more power though. But that is never a lot when your talking about an 81-84 22R.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:49 PM
Contributing Member

Well... maybe a Tundra or similar tow vehicle is starting to make more sense.

Guess this sports appetite for coin never ends.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
I made it back, but that new engine does burn a lot more fuel. I am worried it will run out going to get filled up which is only like 3 miles away.

The second tank is really empty. Which did not happen before even going to superior and back. I think this motor does have more power though. But that is never a lot when your talking about an 81-84 22R.
I used about 15 gallons of fuel...almost a full tank but I am not surprised.

Neither of us were in fuel conserving mode out there...between us pre running through some of the washes up Elvis, the pass attempts I tried and hauling butt back to the air down...that surely didnt help!

If you got another 10 HP out of that new engine...thats a big jump when you are only talking 90hp total!
Old 08-19-2008, 05:17 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sschaefer3

Would you consider throwing another tank back there or just dealing with the decreased range?
Old 08-19-2008, 06:01 AM
Contributing Member

I'll have to do something. I got pre-approved for a loan for a 2006-2007 Tundra, has to be those years to get the good rate. 5.75%.

Who knows, I'll look on Craigs list, Autotrader, I just don't know if I really want to get yet "another" vehicle. If I find one from a private party, I don;t have to pay sales tax. I guess at the auto auctions people are cleaning up on these things and re-selling on Craigs list. Does anyone know someone who can go to the auto auctions?
Old 08-19-2008, 07:38 AM

My sister and her husband do but they are in Denver (Ford, chevys and dodges though)
Old 08-20-2008, 11:50 AM
Contributing Member

So... when's the next run???

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f66/...anyone-152085/
Old 08-20-2008, 08:11 PM

Smile Photos

Nice wheelie!

The green willy's - cool old jeep!

Elvota makes short work of the fall

If you see red paint on the trails...you know where it came from!!

Twisted up Saguaro

Wedged in.

A winch & Jon's 4runner pulling still couldn't pull out the Rover - after some hi-lift jacking we were able to pull out the Rover

Squeeze

not this time...

...minutes later the 4runner was humping this big rock

Last edited by westy44runner; 08-20-2008 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:21 PM

Into Martinez Canyon...

Old 08-20-2008, 08:45 PM

Videos

Willy's; second try up the waterfall after putting on a show the first time!

http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z...t=P1150481.flv

Elvota up the waterfall

Last edited by westy44runner; 08-20-2008 at 08:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Elvis & Martinez Trail Run (August)