Washington Washington Chapter

Sell it, fix it, or swap it... And where?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Sell it, fix it, or swap it... And where?

Really upset right now and looking for a little assistance in NW Washington.
˟
This weekend, I was doing a tune up on my 1994 Toyota 4Runner with 186k miles on the clock.˟ I found evidence of coolant in one of the cylinders, suggesting a dreaded head gasket failure.˟ Not a lot, but it suggests in my mind that it’s only a matter of time.

The 4Runner is really straight and a very nice rig.˟ I love the thing and it’s been the perfect third vehicle for winter months and family outings for several years now.
˟
I’m confident self servicing my vehicles to the extent of doing my own oil changes, tune ups, brakes and such… but a major engine rebuild or replacement is beyond my abilities.˟ So I’m trying to decide between the following:
˟
A.) Sell it as-is.
˟
B.) Rebuild it (a local shop quoted $4400 which included the timing chain)
˟
C.) Replace it with a standard 3VZE crate engine.
˟
D.) Swap it with the larger 3.4L 5VZEFE crate engine.
˟
So the questions I have are as follows:
˟
-Any opinions on what option B should cost?˟ $4400 seemed high to me.
˟
-Any experiences with options C or D and the costs involved?
˟
-Would anyone be able to recommend any place in particular where I could get B, C or D done in NW Washington (Whatcom, Skagit, Island, Snohomish or King Counties)?˟ I have no idea where to turn right now.
˟
Any input would be appreciated as I have no idea what to do next.˟
˟
Mike H
Old 02-10-2012, 01:02 PM

id look for another quote to rebuild it. 4400 is a little high but i definitely wouldnt just sell it.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:39 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
seems like you have other vehicles to drive so its not like a urgent decision you have to make. why not do some searching on head gasket replacement or doing a 3.4 swap and see if its something you wanna tackle yourself. if you do take it to a shop $4400 seems kinda high to me, id call around.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:39 AM

I would say

Cheapest option: is buying a used 3.0 and put it in yourself for probably less than $1,000.

Best option: have a bigger/better motor swapped into it toyonlyswaps.com has pricing examples just to give you an idea.

Other option: post some pics and sell it to me

Last edited by Nailit69; 02-12-2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:32 AM

You claim that your not good with working on cars, but this forum is somewhat of a hub for DIY'ers and the information is so plentiful on the internet, I cant see why anybody would spend that kind of money on an engine, when for that price you could probably do any of the other options.
I came into my truck from volkswagens, and before that my mechanical knowledge was nothing, but i'm not a quitter im a go getter, and using these forums for help and the knowledge base has saved me literally thousands of dollars... its always cheaper to do it yourself.

That being said, if money is not a big issue than I know a guy who may be able to install a 3.4l into your 4runner for you, provided you can find the parts and whatnot. I bought my truck i own now from him and everything except the cruise control works wonderfully. I'm pretty sure the CC is just a vaccum issue and the pumps and whatnot work so i just need to diagnose it, which isn't on the top of my list.

OPTION E (my fav)
Straight trade it for a 1st gen 4runner
Old 03-02-2012, 11:03 AM

If you found coolant in one of the cylinders im confident you could
grab the bull by the horns and do it yourself for a fraction on the price.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A bit of coolant in a cylinder may not require a complete rebuild you might just get away with having the head checked out by a machinist, and putting on a new HG.

As for your professed skill... I've always been mechanically inclined, but had never done any major engine work until I bought my truck with a blown motor. A complete top and bottom rebuild was not difficult in the slightest. Between Chilton, FSM and yotatech all the info I needed was easily at hand.

Then again, I'm in need of a rebuildable 22re so if you go with a 3.0 or 3.4...
Old 03-02-2012, 03:58 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
for 4400 you could buy a lot of things. If you just caught it, i'd say 1000 bucks at a reputable shop should get you new headgaskets and a timing belt set. 3.0's have belts, not chains.

A 3.4 swap Is a bit more involved than just bolting some things on. Wiring and and exhuast require a bit of custom work.

As for a replacement motor, rebuilt motors are never the same as factory no matter who rebuilds them. A junk yard 3.0 may get you by but for how long?

Most people end up spending anywhere from 2200-4000 for a 3.4 swap with all parts. Keep in mind most people do their own labor on the 3.4 swap.