Notices
Customer Feedback For Vendors Use this forum for feedback good or bad on vendor's & dealer's you have dealt with

Engnbldr

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 04:14 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by skyratcalls
Here is a copy of an email that I got from Ted at Engnbldr.com today. My local stealer wants $165.00 for just the chain, yes, JUST the chain. A dealer in Gallatin TN. Guys, its not how much money you make, it is how much money you keep. I have not used any of his parts yet, but I am ordering in the morning. Based on the much smarter and more experienced persons on this site, I can't go wrong. I am putting my trust in you folks. I have a worn through timing cover. I love my little truck, please remember her in your prayers tonight. Ted responded within a couple of hours, I very much appreciate his quick response. The dealer laughed at me when I said, man that is high. So, dealer, you want my money, but you want me to like it when you laugh at me as I hand it over to you?

(Ted)
K..I have seen this many times....Remove the drain plug, leave it out to drain as much as possible.. If there is lots of debris from the damage, pull the oil pan, clean it, and reinstall using RTV to seal it.

Then do the repairs on the front, the odds are high the engine will be fine with fresh oil, just start and run it after repairs, if all seems fine, change the oil again after a full engine warmup.

We have the timing kit with cover for $86.00, ships for $12.00. This comes with all the front end gaskets and seals, both gears, new tensioner, both guides with the driver's side steel backed, and new roller chain plus the new cover.

You may or may not need the oil and coolant pump, check those carefully. If so then the 4 piece kit is $140 direct, ships for $14 USA lower 48.

Any questions feel free to email, or call my son Tod at 503-257-7947 weekdays.
Ted
----- Original Message -----
To: engnbldr@engnbldr.com
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2009 12:55 PM
Subject: I joined the timing cover blues club!!

Hi there, Jeff George, Lebanon TN. Just found that my chain has worn through with water in the oil pan, bad. So you know what comes next. I need a kit, and, must say that I am impressed with your prices and more importanly your reputation. I am just a little unclear what is included in the kit. Someone on "yota" said that you had timing covers and gaskets as well. Can you fill me in, what is included in the kit?

I am a teacher and the auto teacher (whom I respect very much) told me that if water gets in the oil pan that the engine is ruined (whether you drive it like that or not). I find this hard to believe. You are obviously in a position to have heard many of these sad stories. My engine never got above 60% on the temp gauge, and at most was driven 5 miles with water in the oil. What do you think, can the engine be saved? In other words, there is a very good chance that the lower end is not damaged, right?

Thanks again, Jeff George,
I think I am reading this wrong, but $86 for the timing kit and it INCLUDES the timing cover?
Old 02-12-2009, 04:42 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
I have bought all my 22R rebuild parts from engnbldr.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, that pretty much settles it for me. Thanks guys. I should get a fat check tomorrow and I'll make the call. I could probably get by with a ring job, but I just bought the truck (well used) and decided that I just wanted to go completely throught the thing and be able to leave it alone while I work on other projects. I was just worried about getting Chinese or Taiwan(ian?) parts. I've had nothing but bad luck with stuff made there. From the stinky (literally) chairs made there that you buy at Wal Mart, to the $300 air compressor that I've replaced 4 times already (under warranty, thank God). Anyway, good deal. Thanks again.

Last edited by maicomega1; 02-12-2009 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:45 PM

Oh yeah, and he was totally cool on the phone, nothing like dealing with the rip off joints here locally.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:39 PM

Ted and son @Engnbldr

So i just wanted to drop another good word into the already vast sea of good words about Ted and his son there in Oregon.
I snagged a HG kit and some bolts and timin belt from them for a killer price and im hopin the parts will work great if the praise on Yotatech is any indication.
The transaction was smooth as glass and they really know their stuff.
I got just what i needed and the shippin took like a day as im in WA. state.
Thanx again you guys, you make this particular purchase a no-brainer!
Anyone know if the torque values are the same as the stock head bolts?
Attached Thumbnails Engnbldr-img_0041.jpg   Engnbldr-img_0040.jpg   Engnbldr-img_0039.jpg  
Old 02-13-2009, 07:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
curious, id like to use all engnbldr parts in my rebuild, but i dont have the time or space to rebuild it myself, so i will be using my mechanic. i got a question tho... do you think it would piss him off if i bought the engnbldr kit and just had him use that? id like to use the master rebuild kit and his RV cam... but im not sure what i have to do to use the cam... can i use the cam with the stock head, or do i need the RV head? please explain exactly what i need for that to work... sorry for the thread hijack, but it might be useful to other poeple wanting to do this..... thanks again...
and if it wont piss off my mechanic (im gonna ask him monday) im using all engnbldr parts
Old 02-14-2009, 10:31 PM

As for the mechanic, to each his own. You're the one footing the bill, so it really shouldn't matter, but you never know when someone is going to get all butt hurt over something like that. Really it's going to save him time, if anything. I'm just having the machine work done at a shop and assembling it myself. When I talked to Ted he told me that the 261 degree (crawler) cam was designed to work with the stock configuration, so there should be no problem there. Not sure which cam you were planning on using, but they actually build engines as well as sell the parts, so if all else fails call them.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
curious, id like to use all engnbldr parts in my rebuild, but i dont have the time or space to rebuild it myself, so i will be using my mechanic. i got a question tho... do you think it would piss him off if i bought the engnbldr kit and just had him use that? id like to use the master rebuild kit and his RV cam... but im not sure what i have to do to use the cam... can i use the cam with the stock head, or do i need the RV head? please explain exactly what i need for that to work... sorry for the thread hijack, but it might be useful to other poeple wanting to do this..... thanks again...
and if it wont piss off my mechanic (im gonna ask him monday) im using all engnbldr parts
the only reason a mech should get pissy about sometthing like that is either because he is going to lose money because he is not making anything on parts, or if he is not comfortable installing someone elses parts.

either way, he makes the majority of his money on labor, but there is a mark up on parts. if he gets mad about this, its time to find another mechanic.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:47 AM

then again, my mechanic really hooks me up, and i dont want to piss him off. i mean, what mechanic would spend money out of pocket (800) to get a new tranny for a customer, then let the customer give him 400 every 2 weeks til its paid off? (1300 with labor). so, yeah, i dont want to piss him off. either way ill be using the RV cam. the 261 degree cam, is that a good one? i want the same one allan (just a 22re) has in his, but he hasnt been on....
Old 08-10-2009, 06:04 PM

engnbldr products

I just put together a list of items that i plan to buy from engnbldr.com. i was just wondering how reliable the parts are. Care to share any personal experiences with his sales? Itd be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:13 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
I only have dealt with them once. I needed a HG kit and wanted a cam. I had quite a few questions for for Ted and He got back to me right quick like. You can't beat his knowledge or his service. I will do all my 22RE business with him and probably all my 3.0 as well.

I'm running his 268 cam and really am liking it.

I know others have had a good experience with them as well.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
I like the Street RV head and 261 cam, and the overhaul gasket kit was pretty good, although now I have a head gasket issue at the 500 mile mark probably not engnbldr's fault though, it was probably some dumb mistake I made
Old 08-10-2009, 06:29 PM

Got every replaceable part they sell for my setup. No problems for the < a year I've been running it. Guy that put the head on even commented on the quality...

Ted could teach corporate America a thing or two about service, knowledge, and communication.

Would I use them again? I wouldn't use anyone else...
Old 08-10-2009, 06:44 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by pennywiserawker
im an occasional weekend wheeler. so should i get the 261 or 268 rv cam?
The pickup is my DD and occasional wheeler, I haul a bunch of wood as well so I went with the 268. It as a little more off idle than stock and pulls all the way through. I have been told by others that the 261 tends to pull more off idle but you lose the higher end.

Originally Posted by pennywiserawker
im in the middle of an engine rebuild so i figured id do it right the first time so i dont have to mess with anything. i threw a main bearing on my third cylinder. so now im looking for a crankshaft. any suggestions?
As for the crank, if you can't get it turned to make it all better...Well if it were me I'd ask Ted to see who he'd use. I don't think he has cranks.

I'd also run a larger exhaust I'm running a 2.25 without a cat (for now) and a elcheapo muffler from ebay. It's comparable to the cheap ones they have a Advanced Auto, sounds nice and throaty not ricey.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:50 PM

yeah the .268 is a good cam. wish i had gotten his head, though.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:13 PM

engnbldr is good to go!

I built a 87 22R 5 years ago with his RV head and 268 cam very nice pulled up highway hills perfect in 4th with 33's and 4.10 only if i would of regeared that beast before that truck got parted out.

I then ran that motor in my 79 for a couple years until I fried the rod bearings getting sideways too much,

I just built another motor with teds stuff a 20r/22r hybird I got the full master kit with cam for hella cheap off e-bay. I am running his 270/430 HO cam. I have had no problems with gaskets and the new oil seals look great! not like those cheapo taiwanese stuff from O'reillys

I do use the right stuff gasket maker with any gasket that is sealing coolant that stuff in itself is good enough.

cant beat the price, the product is top notch, and shipping is fair and fast!

E-mail ted with questions or a qoute and he response quick some times in minutes.

If he had a sticker I sport it!

Old 08-10-2009, 07:15 PM

Thanks for the quick advice guys. i went with the 268. I already made my exhaust 2.25 the whole way back. I just emailed Ted about the crankshaft. hope to hear back from him soon.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:18 PM

i JUST ordered the parts and i already want to put a big ol' sticker on my yota. lol
Old 08-10-2009, 07:23 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Built all mine with engnbldr parts.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:07 PM

engblder.com

recently i purchaced a rebuild kit from engblder.com because of the positive posting in this forum. and ive got to say this, he's the best. i had a problem with the oil pump. ted and i sent 10-15 e-mails back and forth. he knows his products and will help you with any problem.during the whole thing i got to the piont were i was talking to toyota techs at the dealership and they could not give me an answer. sent ted a e-mail and question answered, if he did not know, he would find out. his products are good qaulity, but the key is the costumer service. buy from this guy and you will not be let down.

Quick Reply: Engnbldr