Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What spare parts to carry?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What spare parts to carry?

What spare parts does everyone carry on the trail? I'm interested in ifs parts especially but it might be helpful for others to list what you carry for a solid axle if you have one. I've read the old posts about recovery gear and tools so I'm only asking about spare parts now. I guess a related question might be "What's most likely to break?"
-Michael
Old 03-01-2004, 07:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Newdad
What spare parts does everyone carry on the trail? I'm interested in ifs parts especially but it might be helpful for others to list what you carry for a solid axle if you have one. I've read the old posts about recovery gear and tools so I'm only asking about spare parts now. I guess a related question might be "What's most likely to break?"
-Michael
First on your list MUST be a spare CV axle and the knowledge/tools to replace it. For all the other stuff I have seen break combined, I have seen just as many CV's go.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by WATRD
First on your list MUST be a spare CV axle and the knowledge/tools to replace it. For all the other stuff I have seen break combined, I have seen just as many CV's go.
The axle should be easy to find. It's the knowledge to replace it that's harder to come by. Anyone know of a good write up on replacing a CV axle? I'm sure someone has documented this on their web site.
-Michael
Old 03-03-2004, 10:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to carry a complete spare transfer case. Actually needed to swap one out once when I didn't have it. Now that I have dual cases, it isn't really practical anymore so I just carry some output shafts (the part the usually breaks). For the front axle, I carry birfields, inner axles, brake hoses, wheel studs & lugnuts, a spare third member (open), lockout hubs, complete front driveshaft, and steering components (I have yet to swap in crossover ).

Last edited by toy283; 03-03-2004 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:54 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Newdad
The axle should be easy to find. It's the knowledge to replace it that's harder to come by. Anyone know of a good write up on replacing a CV axle? I'm sure someone has documented this on their web site.
-Michael
http://www.keystonekrawlers.com/Mods...eplacement.htm Covers the process, then takes it one step further to replace the boots.

This is something you should do once in your driveway before you take it on out on the trail.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:27 PM

http://www.keystonekrawlers.com/Mods...eplacement.htm Covers the process, then takes it one step further to replace the boots.

This is something you should do once in your driveway before you take it on out on the trail.
Hey Rob - no more CV's for you! How long should it take to swap these out (in ideal driveway like conditions)

Hey - I'm a KeystoneKrawler.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Cebby
Hey Rob - no more CV's for you! How long should it take to swap these out (in ideal driveway like conditions)

Hey - I'm a KeystoneKrawler.
Once you get it down to a science, you can change out a half shaft from jacking the rig up to setting it back down in well under an hour. On the trail, it commonly takes a bit longer. It's not a difficult job, there's just some techniques that make it easier that are best aquired through doing.

The Krawlers seem to be good people. I have enjoyed the online correspondence that I have had with some of them.

Yep, no more CV's for me and I am not sorry one bit

Last edited by WATRD; 03-03-2004 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:18 PM

Yep, no more CV's for me and I am not sorry one bit
NO JOKE!

In my garage if I was in a hurry I can change a 44 shaft in under 10 minutes I would bet. Double that for a trail repair...
Old 03-06-2004, 10:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Cebby
How long should it take to swap these out (in ideal driveway like conditions)
I just pulled my left CV axle this weekend to replace a leaking inner boot. It took under two hours from start to finish. One new trick I learned was to pull the tire, remove the axle dust cover and cotter pin, reinstall the tire (using just a couple lug nuts), lower the truck, and then loosen the axle nut. That makes it a lot easier to remove the axle nut compared to trying to hold the hub in place with one hand and trying to remove the axle nut with the other.

I hope I won't be forced to practice this so many times that I will be able to do it in under an hour.

BTW, my axle nut is 35mm and not 36mm like it says in that write-up.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:56 AM
Contributing Member

where's the best place to get a spare cv alxe? and how much?
Old 03-07-2004, 01:35 AM
Contributing Member

For stockers, just shop around for the price that suits you If you decide to upgrade, the CV Unlimited's served me well and were tough to break Pricey 'though...
Old 03-07-2004, 01:37 AM
Contributing Member

Don't listen to what they say. Go see...
I can't argue with that, but I might quote it
Old 03-07-2004, 06:21 AM
Contributing Member

I found a complete used CV axle for $35 on car-part.com. It just happened to be 7 miles from where I work. I had to clean it up a little bit, but it'll work great as a spare.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:26 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jake94
I've looked into those, but can't find too much info on their web site. What are the advantages? Only thing I've found is stronger outer joint and better boot. How much do the run? Where can you get them? are the worth the xtra $? I was planning on doing the axle flange bolt mod and running shafts from CVJ, that way if I tore one up, I could replace it easy and wouldn't be out big$$. But now you got me interested. Thanks, Jake.
Whether they are worth the investment will depend upon a few things. For me, when I locked the IFS, shafts started to cause me problems, so I upgraded to the CV Unilimiteds. I couldn't get one to break, despite actually trying, especially when I knew the SAS was on the way and I didn't need them anymore.

You are correct that only the outer joint is beefed up, but from the failures I have had/seen, unless you hyper-extend the inner joint, it's usually the outers that strip/snap anyway. Each CV Unlimited cost me roughly three times what a stock one cost, but since I likely would have gone through three of them in the time I had the CVU's, plus the peace of mind, it was worth it for me.

The only place you can get them is directly from CV Unlimited. Call and talk to George Stuckey.
Old 03-12-2004, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jake94
My next PROJECT . Jake.
Did it to mine. One of the best things I ever did. Shortens CV swaps quite a bit.
Old 03-12-2004, 07:36 PM
Contributing Member

maybe i'm just missing it here, but those CV Unlimited parts are just for that tacomas right? or are they similar enough for a 4runner?

after my breakage a couple days ago, i'm looking for stronger options and the peace of mind at least tha goes along with that.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:56 AM

http://www.keystonekrawlers.com/Mod...replacement.htm Covers the process, then takes it one step further to replace the boots.
The link isn't working for me...can't even get to the keystonekrawlers site.

Sounds like this write-up is just what I'm looking for...
Old 03-13-2004, 09:03 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ranski
The link isn't working for me...can't even get to the keystonekrawlers site.

Sounds like this write-up is just what I'm looking for...
I am getting the same thing, their site must be down That page has been up for years, so hopefully it's just a temporary thing.
Old 03-14-2004, 01:39 AM

carry whatever you broke in the past...

carry 2 of stuff you might break in the future...
Old 03-14-2004, 03:48 AM

How's about this here linky

It just worked for me...

EDIT: It appears to be the same link - it just works now...

Quick Reply: What spare parts to carry?