Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 Lock Right or EZ Locker installation.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V6 Lock Right or EZ Locker installation.

Does anyone know of anywhere that has pics and an installation write for v6 installation?? I have only been able to find ones for 4cyl.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:21 AM
Contributing Member

the two are practically identical as far as i know. I did a V6 install without any instructions beyond what came with the lock-right and it was very straight forward. Just make sure you have a large vise and air tools to make life easier.

i also have that same V6 lock-right i'm looking to sell if you are interested.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:28 AM

Well man I wishI would have known that on Friday when i ordered it. Was onlt $192.. which i understand is quite a good price.. thanks for the info though
Old 04-12-2005, 09:48 AM

Here is the quick rundown:
1: jack it up and secure on jackstands. Drain the oil from the diff.
2: mark flange to u-joint orientation. (maybe mark the slipyoke too in case it falls all the way apart)
3: Remove rear end of Driveshaft.
3: pull wheels, e-brake cables, and (optional) brake lines.
4: remove the 4 bolts on the backside of each axle. Pull axles all the way out to avoid damaging the seals.
5: remove all of those chunk (3rd member) bolts. then the 3rd member falls out.
6: mark location of the adjuster rings. Mark the L and R bearing caps. Measure the backlash. (at least get a feel for what it was BEFORE you took the diff out!)
7: remove the adjuster ring locking tabs and the 4 big bearing cap bolts.
8: Lift out the ring gear carrier.
remove the bolts that hold the diff carrier together. remove the 4cross pin.
9: lay out the parts you have for the lockright to see how this is going to go together.
10. Now you know what they call it an EZ Locker (In the Detroit world) Don't forget the rings that go in the center of the locker parts. It helps keep things centered.
Lay it all back together.

The big difference is that on the v6/turbo4 carrier you don't have to remove the ring gear and push out that pin that holds the cross pin in place. You get to split the diff carrier instead.

have a beer.

Use those marks you made to make sure you get things back in the right places. If you have tools, check/set backlash and don't forget the carrier bearing PRELOAD!

Clean up the housing and the diff. RTV it up and slap it back in the hole. Nut 'er down. Stick in the axles (careful, don't want to mess up those seals!) nut 'em on. Hook up the e-brake and brake lines if you took 'em off. (I do, it isn't really any harder).
BLEED BRAKES.
put on the driveshaft using your marks again. Check around for extra pieces and start cleaning up.
Put lube in the differential. While you are dirty, and the junk is all out, might want to check that front diff, T-case, and tranny too.
Wheels on the truck Torque those lugnuts 2x.
lower 'er down

Have a beer
clean up. call buddy for shakedown trailrun tomorrow. Amazing difference isn't it?
Old 04-12-2005, 09:57 AM

alright..I was just wondering about the carrier issue.. wasn't sure how that would all work out... glad i don't have pound that thing off!!!! Thanks for the low down....sounds easy....specially since i already have half of that apart....
Old 04-12-2005, 10:28 AM

Hello NCSU How much are you asking for your locker? and how many miles or used you estimate?
too much questions my friend but why did you take it out?
RM