Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The truth about Spools/Welded thirds vs. the myths/urban legends...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 11:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to spool the front and detroit the rear.
What do you think?
Old 07-21-2005, 11:57 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jimabena74
the street situation will be fine, but you need to be able to turn offroad. and a welded gear up front wont allow that, well other than something liek a 100 foot turning circle.....

you have trouble turning offroad w/ your spooled front? oh wait, you don't have a front spool, lockright, detroit, arb, or even a front diff for that matter.

the street is precisely where you WILL have trouble turning w/ a locked/spooled front. if i engage my front arb and try to turn on pavement, it takes me nearly DOUBLE the turning radius of the open front diff. offroad, in loose stuff like sand/dirt/gravel/etc it truns fine, maybe just a little more radius than normal, but very manageable and predictable.

i can't tell any difference in turning radius w/ the rear arb engaged by itself. the only noticeable thing on the pavement is the barking inside rear tire.

Last edited by bamachem; 07-22-2005 at 03:55 AM.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:25 PM
Contributing Member

Well of course you would have the front unlocked on the pavement...
Old 07-22-2005, 03:53 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by getitdone
Well of course you would have the front unlocked on the pavement...
wow, you're a smart one...

yes, typically you would. i was just setting the record straight due to the misinformation in the quoted post above your response.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by getitdone
I want to spool the front and detroit the rear.
What do you think?
That's fine - as long as you understand two things:

1. A front spool without hydro assist is gonna suck on trails.

2. A rear Detroit has some quirkswith a 5 speed.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:34 AM

Spool the rear and E-lock or ARB the front.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by crawler#976
That's fine - as long as you understand two things:

1. A front spool without hydro assist is gonna suck on trails.

2. A rear Detroit has some quirkswith a 5 speed.

yes about the quirks, gettin on the highway the other day and i was givvin the little 22-r heck, shifted into fifth and i guess the detroit decide to unlock while i was shifting and merging, bout run a little civic with a fart pipe off the road .. shoulda seen the guys girlfried look up and jump over to the other seat... but in the snow, just like previous yota owners have posted, just drive it and get used to it, it is about 10 times more fun to drive in the rain or snow with a spool or detroit, people kinda don;t know what to think when they see a yota on 39s drift around a turn or u-wie.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Trailtoy1993
Most road racers use spools and they run all sorts of conditions. :
um, are u refering to road racing race cars? or some form of road racing with our rigs? i race shifter karts, ive tested a formula mazda, and hopefully one day a formula atlantic. i can assure everyone none of these cars have spooled(locked) rear diffs(exept the shifter is a straight axle no diff at all, but u lift the inside rear tire while cornering so its not a problem). for road racing, the vast majority of cars run clutch plate lsd(also known as Salisbury), with selectable ramp profiles. i can promise a fully locked rear diff in a road race car will understeer horribly going into the corners. in fact, i run 0-10%max diff lock under decel, and normally about 40-50% on accel, although ive driven a drifter with 75% accel lockup, not to bad. some dirt oval guys run spools, but thats not road racing

Last edited by motoracer47; 01-23-2006 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:03 PM

spool or locker in the front is good for hard core off-roading / snow and ice have fun trying to steer

I am locked in the rear and love the predictablility of knowing when i stab it in a corner the rear end is going to step out side was.... If that scares YOU you want to sell your truck and get subaru or maybe a civic fwd

I on the other hand have been told by numberous friends that they have seen 4-8 inches of day light under my inside rear tire when raging on dry pavement...but I love the skinny peddle and know my truck.

I hate one tire fire .... open diff rear sucks

so if you like to let it hang out (drift) spool the rear
if your scared go home and park you should be driving a yota

up front limited slip/arb is my choice

Last edited by Beast; 03-06-2006 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Beast
4-8 inches of day light under my inside rear tire when raging on dry pavement
Damn, your crazy!
Old 05-14-2006, 06:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
crawler, perhaps i missed it but your experience is from an auto or 5speed.

I have had a detroit in my 5speed pickup for a number of years now. and there are some defenit quirks to it. Stuff you can come to expect, but there have been times when ive really been caught off gard. (usually on the highway on a turn and i let out of the gas (from accell) to decell engine brake, i can expect some weirdness)

and yes i second the comment about drifing around turns and poping a U-ewe on wet pavement by just dumping the clutch and swinging the back end around in the space of about 1.5 lanes.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:38 AM

I've got a 5 speed manual it the BPOS...
Old 05-23-2006, 08:31 AM

anyone welding both front and rear? I've welded rears before with much luck. I'm still debating on wether or not to weld the front of my 81. Money is tight right now with other parts. I'm worried about wear on parts.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:32 AM

i have a detroit in my rear and open in the front. rain snow ice dirt or payvment. it all seems the same. but its been a while since i had a dd with an open dif in the rear. when i turn very sharp on any surface you can hear the road give a little. but off road, i would let you cut off my left leg before you took my locker from me.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:12 PM

This thread seems to be a pretty good way to start all kinds of new "urban legends" about spools. From reading the first post, you'd think that all new cars should come with spools if it weren't for the fact that they wear tires out faster. That is pure bunk.

All the "myths" were overstated, and the affects of the spool were understated.

Old 09-05-2006, 07:09 PM

Did you put in the spool yourself? If so, was it difficult, and what would I need in order to put a full spool in my axel?
Old 09-05-2006, 08:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you can set up a thrid you can put a spool in.

the spool replaces the carrer, so youll need to be able to press bearings. If your useing the same gears the shims should be close but thats no gareentee on a used set.

search out setting up gears and youll figure out if its something you can do.

id say easly a 4 out of 5 wrench job because of the specialty tools required and cost that it takes to replace your mistake.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:26 PM

How much do you think a local 4x4 shop would do it for, just the rear on stock gears, and maybe also on 4.88 gears so I can get an iddea thanks.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:58 PM

i have a spool rear and welded front.....

i have driven my sased 4runner with a spool and it sucks bad. my suspension would cycle to the bumpstops both sides in a parking lot.... fun to see all those people look as they think you are going to flop and most people look since your are squeeling tires. I have been told that i have a broken strutt and people look at you weird when you tell them that its suppose to do that.

for the front i was debating a detroit but when i talked to people who had detroits in the front compared to a spool or welded i found not much difference. both push thru corners on the trail and most people say they cant tell the difference between a spool and detroint in the front (100% opposite for the rear)

they say the best is having rear drivetrain dissconnect if you run a spool in the front.

i would not have a DD with a spool.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by customcruiser
i would not have a DD with a spool.
That's probably the best advice in this thread

Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread a little, but it was heading away from spools and welded 3rds anyways. Some of this is opinion, some is just plain fact. Either way I'll put my flame suit on just in case!

I know this is an old thread, but it's sticky'd for a reason. Yes, I've driven a vehicle with a welded diff (9"), yes I have had a trac lock(Isuzu D44), a Tru trac(in my Runner), and now a Detroit in the rear now that it's no longer my DD. I'd still have the Tru Trac if it weren't for 2 reasons- getting a DD and the douchebag that sold me the "brand spankin' new 3rd" wasn't set up properly; stripped the ring gear and I sold off the TT in order to fund another diff.

In all honesty- a good LSD is the 2nd best choice for a DD. I mean really- how much do you go off-road compared to on road driving. Sure, it's one hell of a rush off road, but it can be scary and down-right dangerous on road.
Besides, proper use of a good LSD and the e-brake can lock up the rear pretty well (aka a "poor man's locker").

I don't know about y'all but I'd rather spend $1k/year on things other than tires...considering there's soooooo many other upgrades to be done. Think about it- that winch bumper and winch you've been wanting can be had a lot quicker and will take you farther than any locker will Not to mention you can get one selectable locker installed for the price and save your tires to last at least 2 years.

As for the front- I personally have a lock-right (IFS) and while understeer is an understatement- I wouldn't have it any other way....unless I could afford a selectable locker- but no one and I mean NO ONE can argue that selectable lockers ~front or rear~ are the best choice - period. My reasoning for a front lunchbox locker (besides price) is that the front on my IFS seems to get air much quicker than the rear unless going downhill. Also- an autolocker will break free quicker to avoid breakage- especially once one is broken in. While I'm at it- I want to mention that I enjoy my IFS because- unlike all the hard trails everywhere else- I can go to Uwharrie Nat'l Forest (here in NC) and actually have some challenge. Once I go SAS Tellico will be the closest place to have a challenge...besides the new place down below Laurens, SC (the name slips my mind right now)

Good Day,
~R

Last edited by Rusty Davis; 02-23-2007 at 05:38 AM.

Quick Reply: The truth about Spools/Welded thirds vs. the myths/urban legends...