Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock suspension vs. Superlift

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Stock suspension vs. Superlift

My decision debate continues on with another thread to stir the pot.

If anyone wouldn't mind educating me... what advantages exist going with a 4-5" Superlift over just remaining stock and using a body lift to get some added clearence? Does the Super lift provide better travel/articulation/etc...? If so by what factor???

I'm in the money saving mode right now and have been debating wether its worth it to hold out a while for the superlift or make do with my funds and get a quick body lift... long term goals vs. functional gain? I don't normally prefer body lifts but they look decent on older toys verse other makes like Nissan... (really bad). I dont forsee desiring to go with anything larger than a 33" at any point and will probably stick with 15x8 rims with 3.75 backspacing.

Here is some of my previous thoughts from another thread:

[Putting on 31x12.50 SSR's (measuring out more like a 32" tall tire) or Truxs A/T's on 15x8's w/ 3.75 backspacing. That'll give the slightly higer and wider stance I want/need without being too wide (i.e. Cops) and still give me the opportunity to go up the 33's if I so desire down the road. I figure I could always add a 1.5" Ball joint spacer or torsion crank in the front along with some shackles or larger leaf springs in the rear for some added clearence, if needed, for a combined potential total lift of 3-3.5" (definately dont want to go much bigger anyway).

I've been debating between that and a 4" Superlift (no body) but the budget don't include it right now and I'm partial to getting too high for my liking/off road needs just for looks. If I did hold out until the budget does accomodate it then, I'd want to go to 15x10's with that much lift, also need to invest in gears and then I'd be back to being to wide for the popo.... and if I did the superlift but stayed with 15x8's then, I think it's be disproportinately narrow for my taste?]
Old 04-15-2005, 07:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what kind of truck is this going on?

from what i've heard, superlift springs suck in just about every way imaginable(except price).

if you want to build your IFS(if that's what you have, i'm assuming because i saw something about torsion bars in there), go with a total chaos or similar long travel kit. otherwise go with a body lift -- most suspension lifts for IFS are just essentially a "body lift" for the front suspension if you will, and won't get you any more articulation.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From you're post, it's sounds like you're on a budget and want the most "bang for the buck"

To fit 33's all you need is:

Balljoints spacers

Downey 3" springs 170.00 for a pair www.downeyoff-road.com

With minor fender trimming and flattening (Nothing visual), the bj spacers and maybe an inch of torsion crank, you will easily fit 33's...to make it an easier fit and a good match for your stock rims or an 8" wide rim, check out BFG's 33x10.50 tire size (very cool)

In the rear, the Downey springs will give you enough lift to clear 33's

This setup is inexpensive, do-it-yourself if you are handy with tools, Actually improves your wheel travel/flex/performance, and will clear 33's with a legal and safe amount of lift. Your ride will also remain relatively soft for a lifted vehicle.

I currently run 33x10.50's on the downey springs in the rear and all is good, only a little minor rubbing at full flex.

MarcP is running just the BJ spacers up front on 33x10.50's without problems either. A 33x12.50 might rub up front, I can't verify, but this would easily be corrected by more torsion cranking, or a 1 inch bodylift.

4" bracket kits only provide 2 positive things, they allow you to easily fit 33's, and they lift the frame up away from the ground.

The negative parts are that, they cost alot and don't offer more wheel travel or any actual suspension improvement. They put leverage on your stock arm mounts. They raise your center of gravity. They usually come with blocks, add a leaf, or shizzle springs for the rear.

To me the negatives outweigh the positives.

That is my recommendation.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Very Interesting Daniel Son....

This is all in concern for a '92 single cab Yota. Yah, I am on a budget.. but also, I don't want to do anything I'd regret later just because I wasn't patient enough.

Very Interesting... so I was right in thinking that the Superlift (or other 4" Suspension lift) essentially lowers the suspension components thereby lifting the frame off the ground and, though makes way for larger tires, doesn't equate to any added performance necessarily (i.e. travel, articulation, etc...). Hmmm...

Again, I'm shooting for the 31x12.50's Super Swampers (more like a 32" high tire and also pretty set on that wide of tire) at this point because I have them off my '98 4runner that I'm selling but It'd be good to make the possiblity of going up to 33's later on. The 4" is pushing being too high for me and with 33's on 15x8's looks kind of narrow so, looks wise, I'd want 15x10's (which I don't already have...budget... and are really wide and a red flag for the cops).

The torsion crank/ball joint spacer options for the front are the low budget lift but I dont want to compromise my ride quality too much. So, I'm thinking 2" Bodylift and ball joint spacer/torsion crank of 1" with downeys in the back would provide the potential for 33's in the future... be good on the budget now... and provide decent suspension performance... correct?
Old 04-16-2005, 04:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
31s will fit no problem, not sure about a 12.5 wide tire though. 3" of lift should be plenty for 33s though. body lift won't mess with your suspension, giving you the best ride.