Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions for Beadlock connesuiers

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 07:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tc
See the big crack at about 5:00?
<SNIP>

Yup !!

<SNIP>

As for Flygtenstein's comments about weight, I would argue that far more of the weight is in the tire than the rim, and that a well designed, well made steel rim could weigh the same or less than an Al rim (strength to weight is about the same for steel and aluminum)

Unless we're talking about forged AL wheels....
Simply can't come close to anywhere beating the strength of those with a steel wheel (at any decent weight).

Fred
Old 11-02-2006, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bead locks are legal in colorado. there was a big disscussion on colorado4x4.org about it. i would get true bead locks, omf, ill get some when im done with everything else.

Last edited by Sonofmayhem; 11-02-2006 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sonofmayhem
<SNIP>. i would get true bead locks, <SNIP>
As opposed to what ?

Fred
Old 11-03-2006, 04:19 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FredTJ
As opposed to what ?

Fred

He's probably talking about street locks which are fake beedlocks you can run just for looks.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:06 PM
Contributing Member

In California there is no law on the books that state beadlocks are legal or illegal. I have never had any problems with law enforcement, as for legality there is a DOT specification showing what rim profiles are legal. Since my rims still have the factory stamped DOT approval on them, then adding a rim protector to the outside shouldn't be illegal.

I've never had any issues with getting my wheels balanced, nor ever had any bolts come loose.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by ADH8796
He's probably talking about street locks which are fake beedlocks you can run just for looks.
Yup, I know what street locks are. I just wanted to make sure that he wasn't talking about the Stauns.
Stauns are super.

Fred
Old 11-03-2006, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by BruceTS
In California there is no law on the books that state b<SNIP>Since my rims still have the factory stamped DOT approval on them, then adding a rim protector to the outside shouldn't be illegal.
But, in the case of beadlocks, you're no just adding a "rim protector" to the outside, you're cutting off the outer lip of the wheel and using a bolt on "outer lip" in it's place

I'm not saying the beadlocks are legal on illegal

I've run Champion beadlocks for years with never a problem.
They hold air just fine.
They never loosen bolts.
They balance beautifully.

Fred
Old 11-03-2006, 10:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
great discussion. This is what i needed, i'm leaning back towards AL now, actually.

I wasn't ever concerned about durability. I'm on my third set of steelies, but at 30 bones a pop, there really isn't any reason to care. I'd be a bit more upset if i ruined a 250 dollar AL OMF wheel. However, having seen flygt's in action, and hearing good things from others, i'm temped. I'll keep looking into it. Seems folks who have AL don't have the major issues with ballancing that i was thinking one would see.

Oh, and as a side note, just some trivia. Beadlocks and legality is a really murky issue. Here's why (at least what i've read): The original issue is becasue Split-rim wheels are illegal. Old style (we're talking 40's Dodge power wagon old) wheels were 2 piece units, that went in back of, and over the front of, a tire, so you'd essentially clamp the tire in between the wheel halves, and set the bead=tire mounting made super, super easy.

Problem is, if that fails, or comes loose, or something, you suddenly have a Zena Warrior Princess-style projectile shooting off into whatever happens to get in the way.

So, they decided that single piece wheels where the new standard, and made split rim's illegal. Cool. Until this sport became popular enough that folks were equiping street legal vehicles with bead locking rims. a bolt on part of the rim. Now, technically they are not a split rim, so technically they are not illegal. Some places have amended the traffic code, some haven't. Either way, its pretty murky, and i'd say, long as you aren't trying to call attention to it, you probably wouldn't have any troubles with Officer Law.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:50 AM

I made this decision earlier this year after thinking about it for awhile.

Allied makes some real nice AL beadlocks, I went this route. Sizes are limited, especially for 15" wheels but they had what I needed and for a reasonable price. Allied makes their own wheels and they are good stuff.

The wheels have a center that is several inches thick, steel inserts not just tapped aluminum or helicoils for the locks and a wider inner lip. The only downside is the finish is not polished, its a machined raw aluminum finish. I believe they will be prone to the elements, and maybe oxidation as well. I plan to have them powder coated with a clear finish.

I've been very happy, running on MTRs, real smooth and I havent had them balanced yet. If you go AL, make sure you the wheels are quality.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:03 AM

For another option, I saw these wheels on PBB. From what I understand its a new company. $$$

www.beadlockspecialties.com

Last edited by westy44runner; 11-06-2006 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:44 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by westy44runner
downside is the finish is not polished, its a machined raw aluminum finish. I believe they will be prone to the elements, and maybe oxidation as well. I plan to have them powder coated with a clear finish.
Check out zoop seal.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just to be completely not helpful:

My friend has a set of 20" steel double bead locks from USA 6x6... they're bad ass, but a huge PITA to mount on a 41" Michelin XL
Old 11-06-2006, 12:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I didnt see it mentioned but Stauns advertise being used as a run flat for limited distance speed etc.

run flat seems to be a big pro if you ask me.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:29 PM

Buying from USA 6x6 is like supporting communism. Take a read on Pirate.

Any off road tire of size will be a run flat by itself.

To me, the leg up for the Stauns is the dual lock.

First trip with my OMF's, I went crazy low on pressure and almost lost an inner bead.

I have not installed Stauns and am somewhat leary of how they work compared to the Rock Monster duals.

I polish my AL locks. I like BLING.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by ADH8796
haha, not the stauns. just because well i dont know.

Last edited by Sonofmayhem; 11-06-2006 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
Any off road tire of size will be a run flat by itself.
I would not advise driving on a flat if you run standard beadlocks. Short distances, maybee a hundred feet till you get somewhere to change it out, sure. Much more than that and you will be buying a new tire. Ive seen tires trashed on several occasions because people thought that just because they had beadlocks they could drive on the flat, and the beadlock destroyed the sidewall of the tire. You can legitimately drive on the stauns if you have to, i know i have after i tore a valvestem off. I would not jump on the highway or anything driving on just the staun, but it got me back to my trailer where my spare was.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FredTJ
But, in the case of beadlocks, you're no just adding a "rim protector" to the outside, you're cutting off the outer lip of the wheel and using a bolt on "outer lip" in it's place
Actually, the outer lip is not cut off on mine, I can still mount a tire in the stock location, the rim profile is intact.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:11 PM

If I have killed a sidewall and need to run a ways on the tire, I will proceed slowly until I am to the trailer and my spare, or until I can plug it.

If I can't plug it, that poor thing is getting beat until I can swap it right up to the point I am preparing to ruin the rim.

Stauns are impressive to me. Joez, you are the only public user I know who has them and you seem impressed. Double lock and a real runflat. Hard to beat that.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by westy44runner

<SNIP>
, its a machined raw aluminum finish. I believe they will be prone to the elements, and maybe oxidation as well. I plan to have them powder coated with a clear finish.

I've been very happy, running on MTRs, real smooth and I havent had them balanced yet. If you go AL, make sure you the wheels are quality.
If I were doing it I would simply rattle can them whatever color (in the case of my Champion beadlocks I rattled can'd 'em black).
You in AZ also and if you wheel anywhere here in the rocks you know exactly what'll happen to them. They're going to get gouged to beat the band.
Wouldn't waste money on powder coating them when you'll gouge some of it off the first time that you go out.
If you rattle can them instead, it's a simply thing to simply touch them up with the rattle can

MT/R's are simply unbeatable (bang for the buck) out here in AZ.
They need to be aired down to at least 8 psi though before they really grip.
They stick like fly paper to any of the rocks out here.
There is nothing better other than the comp. BFG Krawlers and they cost a lot more and weigh a ton more making the MT/R's the best bang for the buck.

Fred
Old 11-06-2006, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
<SNIP>

Stauns are impressive to me. Joez, you are the only public user I know who has them and you seem impressed. Double lock and a real runflat. Hard to beat that.

Stauns have been WELL tested in JV by people that I know and have worked perfectly !

Fred

Quick Reply: Questions for Beadlock connesuiers