Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

post BJ spacers...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
post BJ spacers...

here we go again- another question from yours truely. couldnt find anything in the search cause i dont know what you would call this. After i installed my BJ spacers, i found the front tires pointing like so \--/. is that toe in or what is that called. anyway, i cant see that being good for my tires and if changes with the amount i torque down my BJ spacers but i cant seem to get the height i want and keep the tires straight |--|. suggestions?
Old 08-01-2005, 06:32 PM
NRM
Contributing Member

ok, thats your camber and all you have to do is go get an alignment. i had the same thing happen a couple months ago when i installed my bj spacers and i drove it like that for a few weeks and it could already tell the outside of my tires were wearing so i suggest getting an alignment as soon as possible. but yeah, adjust the height to exactly how you want it then go get an alignment.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by NRM
ok, thats your camber and all you have to do is go get an alignment. i had the same thing happen a couple months ago when i installed my bj spacers and i drove it like that for a few weeks and it could already tell the outside of my tires were wearing so i suggest getting an alignment as soon as possible. but yeah, adjust the height to exactly how you want it then go get an alignment.
Ditto!!!
Old 08-01-2005, 07:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Set the truck at the height you want it, then get it aligned.

You can adjust the cam bolts yourself and get it pretty close. That goes for the toe as well. Watching the techs align my truck I was supprised how I could detect misalignment by eye. Perfect, no, but I could get much improved over how it was when I first put on my spacers.

Frank
Old 08-01-2005, 09:02 PM

ok, so its not something bent or something along those lines. i was thinking it looks a tiny bit worse on 1 side but could that be from the torsion bars being set a little bit differently?
Old 08-01-2005, 11:11 PM
Banned

yes.. its an alignment issue... most likely camber, you now have about 2-3 degrees of positive camber... but since settings were changed, toe is probably also a little bit out now as well..... toe is almost impossible t oset by the eye method as its increments are a lot more precise, and toe will wear out tires a lot faster than misalignment of camber.....
Old 08-02-2005, 04:08 PM

also when i was wheeling this past weekend- i was going up some pretty steep rocky terrain and i had issies with my front end bouncing- alot! i had my tires pressure at approx 18 psi. Would this be from my torsion bars not being cranked enough allowing the front end to be really soft?
Old 08-02-2005, 04:16 PM
Banned

bouncing a lot could jsut be the terrain... if anything the torsions may be too tight..... the balljoint spacers wont change spring rate, however they will change the angularity of the suspension parts and that might make you feel the road differently than had the spacers not been installed....
Old 08-02-2005, 09:07 PM

everyone else i was wheeling with didnt have the bouncing issues that i did (some nearly identical setups). I took my torsion bar bolts out and replaced them with new ones when i did the BJ spacers. The bars arent cranked down as much as they were before the spacers were added. having the bars "soft" with aired down tires wouldnt cause me to start bouncing up steep terrain when the tires slip?
Old 08-03-2005, 06:25 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
maybe it's the shocks....
Old 08-03-2005, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Y2Krunner
everyone else i was wheeling with didnt have the bouncing issues that i did (some nearly identical setups). I took my torsion bar bolts out and replaced them with new ones when i did the BJ spacers. The bars arent cranked down as much as they were before the spacers were added. having the bars "soft" with aired down tires wouldnt cause me to start bouncing up steep terrain when the tires slip?
You probably need new shocks. All springs want to bounce, shocks are what dampens that out.

18 PSI is also possibly a bit high. How big are your tires? I typically run 12 psi up front and 10 in the back on my 33's. You might be up to say 15 up front with 31's.

Frank
Old 08-03-2005, 07:52 AM

i just put brand new rancho 5167's up front and my tires are new 33" destination MT's. i aired down to 18 PSI cause i still had a 40 min drive to get to the next gas station to air back up.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Y2Krunner
i just put brand new rancho 5167's up front and my tires are new 33" destination MT's. i aired down to 18 PSI cause i still had a 40 min drive to get to the next gas station to air back up.
The pressure is too high. The tires are a spring as well, an air spring.

Also driving style plays a role. Sometimes just easing a bit on the throttle, or adding just a tad more is all it takes to get rid of the hopping.

Also, is it the front wheels, rear, or all 4 that hop?

I have an inexpensive cigarette lighter compressor to get my tires up to a street able pressure for that reason.

Frank
Old 08-03-2005, 10:30 AM
Banned

and with the price of the discontinued mv-50s now at liek $25 there is no reason not to get one