Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need opinions on 2nd gen 4Runner bumper

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need opinions on 2nd gen 4Runner bumper

I've narrowed my search down to three bumpers, but I can't decide on one or another so I thought I'd get you guys to help.

First up is the TJM T17 (steel not the pictured aluminum):

Second is the Warn winch bumper w/out hoop:

And, third is a Big Rocks Type 2 tube bumper with hoops:

I'm leaning towards the Warn because I found a place that has them for a little more than $500 and free shipping. The Big Rocks is my number 2 choice, but the TJM is always an option.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
WARN.

I can't stand the look of tube bumpers.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I have the TJM which I like. Fit and quality is very high. One thing I don't particualrly care fro is the fact that the "wings" are bolted on to the main body. They aren't very rigid and lack support.

I may end up welding the "wings" on so the entire bumper is one piece of try and figure out a way to support them off the frame.

If the WARN is a more unified design, it might work better for you.

I think the tube bumpers make accessing the winch easier and can sometimes gain some approach clearance depending on design. But like AxleIke said... they don't seem to mesh well with the cosmetics of a Toyota.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:50 PM

The WARN is definitely pulling away from the pack. I was originally looking at tube bumpers because of price and I've always been a fan of the pre-runner style but other than custom making one myself I have yet to find find a tube bumper that doesn't end up being a compromise. The only thing I'm worried about with the WARN is possibly being stuck to one winch company. I know WARN makes excellent winches but I like variety.

I'm waiting for Greg at Big Rocks to get back to me with a shipping quote, so that will definitely help me make my decision.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Contributing Member

Does the WARN bumper require a WARN winch? I would have thought the mount holes would be somewhat universal...

I know the TJM works with any winch as it has a standard hole pattern at the fairlead.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:02 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
#1 Warn

#2 tube

really don't like the top one.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:15 PM

I would imagine the mounting points are universal, or somewhat universal, but I've seen bumpers that only work with certain winches.

From what I can find on WARN's site the only exclusions they have on winches are a 9500 lb. limit and an exclusion on the PowerPlant & M8274-50 winches.

I'm not planning on getting a winch for at least another year or two or until my wheeling requires it anyways so it's a not that big of a deal.

*Edit*

Did a little research and all of the 9000-9500 lb. winches I found have a 10" x 4.5" mounting pattern so it looks like all is good there.

Last edited by CC_yota; 01-09-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:21 PM
Contributing Member

Not that it matters, but the TJM bumper mounts the winch on it's back. Meaning the "feet" of the winch bolt through the front faceplate of the bumper.

From the picture you posted, it looks like the WARN bumper allows the winch to be mounted "feet" down. That might make the clutch lever for freespool and engaged easier to reach.

The clutch lever on the TJM must be grabbed from under the bumper and takes a while to get used to finding. Not that big of a deal, but when comparing the two it's something to take into consideration.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:31 PM

Thanks for the advice Evolta.

I was looking at the installation and it looks like the winch does mount in a "feet" down and the winch can also be installed and removed with the bumper on which, correct me if I'm wrong, cant be done with the TJM.

Oh, and the Warn is one full piece so no detachable wings which I like.

The only thing I don't like, which isn't that big of a deal, is the hoop is not included with the bumper and is an extra $150...

Last edited by CC_yota; 01-09-2008 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CC

I like the Warn alot.

Where did you find the Warn for $500?

Any brand 8000-9500lb winch should fit in the warn "If" it has a non-intergrated solenoid pack.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:36 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Search around - there are some pictures on here of a Warn bumper installed on a 2nd gen.

It sticks out ALOT farther than the Warn picture would lead you to believe.

All that said, I still like the Warn best.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CC_yota
I was looking at the installation and it looks like the winch does mount in a "feet" down and the winch can also be installed and removed with the bumper on which, correct me if I'm wrong, cant be done with the TJM.
I installed the TJM a while back but I think you are right, the bumper has to be pulled for the winch to be removed. Might not be that big of a deal... could even prevent theft I suppose.

Be sure to post up some pics when you get your WARN.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:00 AM

Gerdo, I was mistaken with the price. I found it for $577 with free shipping. When I first posted for some reason I had $527 in my head but the $577 is still about the same as the TJM+ shipping.

TC I found the pics you were talking about of Chimmike's truck with the WARN bumper, and it does stick out a lot further than WARN's pics lead you to believe, so thanks for the heads up, but I think I still like it the most too.

Last edited by CC_yota; 01-10-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:16 PM

I would go with the one from bigrocks cause it is probably 350pounds lighter and to me it seems like a great choice
Old 01-14-2008, 11:17 AM

I finally made a decision and after talking with the guys at Front Range Off Road I went with their sever use front bumper w/ the frame brace. Pics and maybe a small write up will come once it comes in...
Old 01-14-2008, 07:24 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good choice - if Brian rates it as "Severe Use" it will serve you well for a LONG time.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:00 PM

Thanks, it was the bumper I originally wanted to go with. It's got better clearance than the TJM and tucks up better than the WARN. After looking over the all the pics I coud find of the WARN I couldn't handle the depth. So I decided to shoot a e-mail to Brian and see if there any options for mounting it to a 2nd gen. When I found out that all I needed was the frame brace it was a no-brainer for me.

So now I get a super tough bumper and some frame reinforcement for only like $15 more than the WARN.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Elvota
The clutch lever on the TJM must be grabbed from under the bumper and takes a while to get used to finding. Not that big of a deal, but when comparing the two it's something to take into consideration.

many winches let you clock the clutch lever [atleast my vortex/ramsey resticker did]. i have a TJM bumper and was able to get the lever right out the existing hole. no groping in the dark required...
Old 01-23-2008, 11:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rivercat
many winches let you clock the clutch lever [atleast my vortex/ramsey resticker did]. i have a TJM bumper and was able to get the lever right out the existing hole. no groping in the dark required...
That's a good point. I should try and see if I can clock it to a better position. Thanks for the tip.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:00 PM

hey i was wondering if u have any pictures of ur new bumper and i was wondering where u got it from

Quick Reply: Need opinions on 2nd gen 4Runner bumper