Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Marlin dual cases leaking...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The leak you describe sounds fixable and related to installation. When it leaks through cast or parts rather than at a joint, you have a big issue.

The leak I have been chasing for the last year is due to engineering.

Strip it, roloc it, FIP it and cross your fingers.

Tell Dave you have leaving puddles.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found where it is leaking. Apparently the tranny mount was hitting the seal between the adapter plate and the front case. The vibration from driving and wheeling knocked the bolts loose and then caused the RTV to lose it's seal. So we tightened the bolts and trimmed the mount to give it some clearance.

Unfortunately, this didnt do the job, it was leaking again once I got home. So we're going to have to take it all apart and re-seal it. Not a HUGE deal. We may even have to cut more off the mount or just fab a new one. Either way, it will be fixed soon.

-Casey
Old 05-30-2005, 02:20 PM
Contributing Member

Really the only reason this is happening is because I have a 2WD frame and the crossmember where the tranny mounts is a bit further back, so the mount I have interferes with the front case.
This problem is NOT something that would happen on a typical truck. Only mine! LOL
Old 05-30-2005, 03:04 PM
Contributing Member

Are you still running the "quickie" trans mount with the shock mounts?

That was OK, for stock but it will not stand up to a crawler.

I still have my stock 4WD tranny mount, but it was behind the crawler for a few years.

The Front Range Crossmember will do wonders, but it is a huge install. Remove both crossmember, gas tank and tranny, and rebuild the tank mount as well as plasma cutting some of the FROR part out.

Only a few weeks until the Rubicon..................
Old 05-30-2005, 03:27 PM
Contributing Member

Yep still running it.

Ya that FROR x-member is looking sweeter each day. Only problem is install. Not something I can do in an afternoon.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:05 AM

I to have a leak in my MC09 kit. I've had it since day one. I changed seals as Marlin asked and even smeared my couplers output shaft and tranny and t-case surfaces w/ 2 tubes of different sealant rather than what marlin uses. My setup has been out of my truck 5 times twice before I even drove the truck due to leaking. They finally agreed to issue a call tag and give me a new case. Mine constantly leaks from the driver side towards the bottom. Sure some people will say its just a leak but as much as the kits cost its a dam shame they leak out the box with no miles on them. Call Marlin and ask for Dave. That's who I deal w/ and he has been more than helpful.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:41 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RockComa
I to have a leak in my MC09 kit. I've had it since day one. I changed seals as Marlin asked and even smeared my couplers output shaft and tranny and t-case surfaces w/ 2 tubes of different sealant rather than what marlin uses. My setup has been out of my truck 5 times twice before I even drove the truck due to leaking. They finally agreed to issue a call tag and give me a new case. Mine constantly leaks from the driver side towards the bottom. Sure some people will say its just a leak but as much as the kits cost its a dam shame they leak out the box with no miles on them. Call Marlin and ask for Dave. That's who I deal w/ and he has been more than helpful.
Thanks for the insight...
sorry to hear about your problem as well.

I called them last week and have an appointment to bring it in thursday next week. Hopefully they will be making me a new tranny mount since that is the reason the seals are breaking loose. I should be up there at 8am and drive it home by the end of the day.
Or let's hope so since I have a flight to Vegas the next day at 530pm

-Casey
Old 06-07-2005, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
Meaning there are gears inside that give a 1:1 gear ratio in high range. It is not just a straight shaft running through the box.
WHOA. Wait a damn minute. Why am I the only person to notice this? This is 100% wrong. It *IS* just a straight shaft running through the box. It is 2 pieces and connected by the shift collar. The collar breaks the connection and connects the output shaft to the low range gear which actually spins on the output shaft at a slower speed when you are in high range. I probably just confused a lot of people. its really very simple, just hard to put into words, or few words.

regardless of this you cannot drain the oil from the crawler and drive the truck because there are bearings that need to be lubricated and the low range gears still spin even when in high range.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:19 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 44Runner
WHOA. Wait a damn minute. Why am I the only person to notice this? This is 100% wrong. It *IS* just a straight shaft running through the box. It is 2 pieces and connected by the shift collar. The collar breaks the connection and connects the output shaft to the low range gear which actually spins on the output shaft at a slower speed when you are in high range. I probably just confused a lot of people. its really very simple, just hard to put into words, or few words.

regardless of this you cannot drain the oil from the crawler and drive the truck because there are bearings that need to be lubricated and the low range gears still spin even when in high range.
thats what I thought! And yes, you explained it well enough to make sense.
However, I did not know about the bearings. Regardless, I didnt drain it and drive it anyway. So no big deal.

I leave thursday morning at 4am! Oh boy it's gonna be fun!

Last edited by Nitro Hotpants; 06-07-2005 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MC09 puts gear drive ahead of chain drive.

MC07 puts gear drive in front of gear drive, cast.

MC08 does gear in front of gear with billet and MC08-10 does it in billet rotated.

What leaks on mine is the coupler. Always has. It is a fundamentally identical coupler late model auto and 5 spd. but the nature of the auto and the coupler being near a jet make it worse.

Hopefully this works out for you Casey. Are you on 35's yet?
Old 06-10-2005, 03:17 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Update?